View Poll Results: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 42.11%
  • No

    8 42.11%
  • Maybe

    2 10.53%
  • About 50% right

    1 5.26%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

  1. #1
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #2
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,976

    Re: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

    Frum is an idiot...

    I agree with rush.


    "Well, the Constitution doesn't need to be redefined. "


    Frum is throwing a bitch fit because Levin called his silly canadian ass ouoot.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  3. #3
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

    This sums it up nicely:

    On the one side, the president of the United States: soft-spoken and conciliatory, never angry, always invoking the recession and its victims. This president invokes the language of "responsibility," and in his own life seems to epitomize that ideal: He is physically honed and disciplined, his worst vice an occasional cigarette. He is at the same time an apparently devoted husband and father. Unsurprisingly, women voters trust and admire him.


    And for the leader of the Republicans? A man who is aggressive and bombastic, cutting and sarcastic, who dismisses the concerned citizens in network news focus groups as "losers." With his private plane and his cigars, his history of drug dependency and his personal bulk, not to mention his tangled marital history, Rush is a walking stereotype of self-indulgence—exactly the image that Barack Obama most wants to affix to our philosophy and our party. And we're cooperating! Those images of crowds of CPACers cheering Rush's every rancorous word—we'll be seeing them rebroadcast for a long time.


    Rush knows what he is doing. The worse conservatives do, the more important Rush becomes as leader of the ardent remnant. The better conservatives succeed, the more we become a broad national governing coalition, the more Rush will be sidelined.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #4
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,976

    Re: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    This sums it up nicely:


    On the one side, the president of the United States: soft-spoken and conciliatory, never angry, always invoking the recession and its victims. This president invokes the language of "responsibility," and in his own life seems to epitomize that ideal: He is physically honed and disciplined, his worst vice an occasional cigarette. He is at the same time an apparently devoted husband and father. Unsurprisingly, women voters trust and admire him.

    Sounds like he wants to blow Obama.



    And for the leader of the Republicans? A man who is aggressive and bombastic, cutting and sarcastic, who dismisses the concerned citizens in network news focus groups as "losers." With his private plane and his cigars, his history of drug dependency and his personal bulk, not to mention his tangled marital history, Rush is a walking stereotype of self-indulgence—exactly the image that Barack Obama most wants to affix to our philosophy and our party. And we're cooperating! Those images of crowds of CPACers cheering Rush's every rancorous word—we'll be seeing them rebroadcast for a long time.


    Still sounds like he wants to blow a democrat.

    Rush is an Entertainer, why is he being grouped with the President?


    Rush knows what he is doing. The worse conservatives do, the more important Rush becomes as leader of the ardent remnant. The better conservatives succeed, the more we become a broad national governing coalition, the more Rush will be sidelined.

    Read "become more liberal, like Obama"


    No thanks.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  5. #5
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Sounds like he wants to blow Obama.

    Still sounds like he wants to blow a democrat.
    Because of the lack of anger or harsh words? Sorry, but not everyone views Obama through partisan spectacles. I disagree with his political views, but he's certainly an intelligent orator with some wit and charm.

    Rush is an Entertainer, why is he being grouped with the President?
    He was explaining why it benefits Obama for Rush to take the helm as "leader" of the GOP:

    Here's what I wrote: President Obama and Rush Limbaugh do not agree on much, but they share at least one thing: Both wish to see Rush anointed as the leader of the Republican party.




    Read "become more liberal, like Obama"
    Read it however you please.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #6
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,976

    Re: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Because of the lack of anger or harsh words? Sorry, but not everyone views Obama through partisan spectacles. I disagree with his political views, but he's certainly an intelligent orator with some wit and charm.

    "Obama is so soft spoken and concerned. never a harsh word" blah blah blah, even you don't believe this tripe I hope.


    He was explaining why it benefits Obama for Rush to take the helm as "leader" of the GOP:

    Here's what I wrote: President Obama and Rush Limbaugh do not agree on much, but they share at least one thing: Both wish to see Rush anointed as the leader of the Republican party.





    Read it however you please.


    I will.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  7. #7
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    "Obama is so soft spoken and concerned. never a harsh word" blah blah blah, even you don't believe this tripe I hope.
    In comparison to Rush, which is what he was doing in the article, Obama is quite the little angel when it comes to rhetoric.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #8
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,976

    Re: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    In comparison to Rush, which is what he was doing in the article, Obama is quite the little angel when it comes to rhetoric.



    Obama called Rush out. Remember?


    Obama also says we cling to guns and bibles, and white people are racist.....

    I think the rhetoric is deplorable with Obama since you know he is not an entertainer but the president.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,944

    Re: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

    Save for Rush has stated repeatedly that he doesn't want to be the leader of the GOP and isn't the leader of the GOP. And guess what, I believe 98% of republicans AGREE THAT HE'S not.

    Frum's an idiot, and as stated by Right in another thread if one must use hyperbole or sugar coat a set of facts to fit the notion you want to put across then that either harms your point by trying to exaggerate/leave things out or it shows there's nothing there.

    The description of Obama is laughable and that's not just from "partisan spectacles". Soft spoken and conciliatory? I take it he's missed the numerous press conferences ripping the Bush administration, republicans, and anyone that agrees with them? He's invoking victems and that's somehow makes him a great person? Inovkes the language of responsibility? Where? In the numerous government programs he's wanting to give people, in the numerous bailouts he's given to companies, to his administration going "we know better than business" and angling to take things over. This is the "language of responsibility"? His "only" vice is the occasional cigerette? Seriously? We know Obama that well that we know all his potential vices? Even then, his seeming aloofness or smugness that many do find in him is somehow just non existant. Every bit of this is fawning adoration without any attempt at an objective look at the man.

    Yet the description of limbaugh following it may as well be drafted up in the Democratic Underground. For every ounce of adoration there was vitriol here, and an equal attempt at not being in any way objective.

    It shows me this guy has an agenda, and facts be damned he's a good little media person and that means presenting the view HE WANTS not necessarily what it really is. Why the hell should I give this bafoon any more credance than anyone else?

    More so, he's comparing the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES to a RADIO SHOW HOST.
    You down with TPP?

  10. #10
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,341

    Re: Is David Frum right about Conservatism's future?

    Frum is as right about the future of the GOP as nuch as Rove was right about the future of the Democrats.

    I think that sums it up in a nutshell quite nicely, eh?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •