View Poll Results: Federal (Income) Tax. You Pick the Rate.

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5%

    22 37.93%
  • 10%

    10 17.24%
  • 15%

    4 6.90%
  • 20%

    7 12.07%
  • 25%

    5 8.62%
  • 30%

    2 3.45%
  • 35%

    3 5.17%
  • 40%

    2 3.45%
  • 45%

    1 1.72%
  • 50% and higher

    2 3.45%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 148

Thread: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    06-29-09 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    The problem is that a country NEEDS some socialism or else you end up with a plutocracy. Our nation is wealthy and progressive because of the socialism in our system.

    Can you name another country with the kind of system you repubs want? One without socialism?
    Funny that no cons wanted to respond to this...

  2. #82
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,225

    Re: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Simply unrealistic. Your standard of living would be nothing like it is today if America was run in this manner. After the new deal our country's wealth exploded, not because the rich got richer (that happened) but because a middle class was created and drove the economy. Rich people don't drive the economy, they live off of it. So unless you have "family" money putting you in the top income bracket you would probably be a farmer or factory worker making pennies an hour 16 hours a day in an unhealthy and dangerous workplace. But see, you don't realize what life was like in 1820 or 1870 or 1913...
    So many unsupportable assertions in one post.

    I dunno if I can get to all the non facts in one day.

    How about you provide some links.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #83
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,178

    Re: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Simply unrealistic. Your standard of living would be nothing like it is today if America was run in this manner. After the new deal our country's wealth exploded, not because the rich got richer (that happened) but because a middle class was created and drove the economy. Rich people don't drive the economy, they live off of it. So unless you have "family" money putting you in the top income bracket you would probably be a farmer or factory worker making pennies an hour 16 hours a day in an unhealthy and dangerous workplace. But see, you don't realize what life was like in 1820 or 1870 or 1913...
    What does fair tax rate have to do with minimum wage laws?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Funny that no cons wanted to respond to this...
    No, at the time none of us felt like responding to the ignorance demonstrated.

    That's all.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Simply unrealistic. Your standard of living would be nothing like it is today if America was run in this manner. After the new deal our country's wealth exploded, not because the rich got richer (that happened) but because a middle class was created and drove the economy. Rich people don't drive the economy, they live off of it. So unless you have "family" money putting you in the top income bracket you would probably be a farmer or factory worker making pennies an hour 16 hours a day in an unhealthy and dangerous workplace. But see, you don't realize what life was like in 1820 or 1870 or 1913...
    Plain silly. The middle class existed before FDR, survived in spite of him, and the American economy took off after WWII because ours was the only industrial nation on the planet with usable factories, so the world had to come to us to buy the goods they needed to recover from their idiotic wars.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    But we are. And the people voted us "liberals" (i.e. Democrats and Republicans) into power. So why don't you think we should pay for our expenditures?
    Because they're unconstitutional expenditures and hence illegal.

  7. #87
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

    Question: Why is it fair to tax person X more than person Y simply because person X has a greater income?

    Assumption: Both person X and Y are above the poverty line.
    Last edited by scourge99; 05-12-09 at 06:16 PM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Question: Why is it fair to tax person X more than person Y simply because person X has a greater income?

    Assumption: Both person X and Y are above the poverty line.
    There really isn't an idealogically pure answer to this question. However, I do think that because we have a society that needs cohesion, it is the duty and even the privilege of every man to contribute his best to society and its upkeep.

  9. #89
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I've given this some thought and I think you make a valid point: only a small minority of conservatives are tax-less spend-less kinds of folks, and I'm not one of them.

    I support lower taxes because it increases a household’s disposable income and increases tax revenue: more money for the government.

    I also support lots of government spending. No, I don't support a host of new programs or pork projects like saving a brown mouse in SF (Obama’s stimulus). I support spending what is genuinely needed to maintain existing infrastructure, the military, social security, and similar, and then taking everything that's left and paying down our debt.

    That's the nature of what Ragan did. He lowered taxes to increase revenue and then spent the rais he gave the national budget with those tax cuts on needed government expenses.

    For the life of me I don't see President Obama's administration making any attempt to do this. The left (and I think it's fair to speak with an air of partisanship here as the left currently has control of both houses and the Presidency), is reducing their cash flow by increasing taxes and spending more money then they even had originally.

    This, IMO, makes absolutely no sense.

    It's exactly like taking a significant pay cut at work and then going on a shopping spree.

    I support the government having a large income, living as far below it's means as it can without sacrificing needed expenses, and paying off our debt asap.
    I agree with your spending plans, of keeping SS and some other things and paying down the debt, but I disagree with the too-good-to-be-true idea that tax cuts increase revenues.

    Of course they do in the long run, but that strategy also drastically increases the debt to GDP ratio.

    I can get that chart later, but the Debt to GDP increased under Reagan and both Bushs and decreased under all of the other Republican and Democratic presidents since Truman.

    Reagan didn't cut spending so any decrease in taxes would odviously increase the debt (which it did)

  10. #90
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Federal Income Tax. You Pick the Rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    There really isn't an idealogically pure answer to this question.
    maybe that's an indication of a bad answer?

    However, I do think that because we have a society that needs cohesion, it is the duty and even the privilege of every man to contribute his best to society and its upkeep.
    I agree. Which is why we all pay taxes. But that doesn't explain why person X should pay more than person Y assuming both person X and Y are above the poverty line. Person X didn't achieve their income from despicable means anymore than person Y. It doesn't make sense that you take more from X simply because X makes more above the poverty line than person Y. Its a negative consequence against person X for having greater income.
    Last edited by scourge99; 05-12-09 at 07:18 PM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •