View Poll Results: Is drug testing a violation of the 4th Amendment?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 8.70%
  • No

    39 84.78%
  • Other (explain)

    3 6.52%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 135

Thread: Drug Testing

  1. #61
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Drug Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    It makes a difference in that it is illegal. If they are willingly breaking drug laws to compensate for something that is lacking in their life, what else are they willing to do.
    What about people who drink alcohol to "compensate for something lacking in their life"? But alcohol is legal, you say? Well then, why did you add the whole "compensate for something lacking in their life" bull****?

    Either you feel the way you do because some drugs are illegal - and that is the only thing that matters, or you feel the way you do about ALL drugs - including alcohol, prescription meds, OTC meds, or even coffee.

    Anywho... just about everyone breaks the law, even if it's speeding or performing a rolling stop at a slow intersection. Or having sex in positions that are illegal in the county or state they live in. Or possessing sex toys that are illegal in the county or state they live in. Or playing poker with their buds using actual money. Or betting on a football game.

    I mean, if you're willing to break the law by playing poker with your buds to compensate for what is lacking in your life, then.. *gasp*... what ELSE are you willing to do?

  2. #62
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Drug Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    What about people who drink alcohol to "compensate for something lacking in their life"? But alcohol is legal, you say? Well then, why did you add the whole "compensate for something lacking in their life" bull****?

    Either you feel the way you do because some drugs are illegal - and that is the only thing that matters, or you feel the way you do about ALL drugs - including alcohol, prescription meds, OTC meds, or even coffee.

    Anywho... just about everyone breaks the law, even if it's speeding or performing a rolling stop at a slow intersection. Or having sex in positions that are illegal in the county or state they live in. Or possessing sex toys that are illegal in the county or state they live in. Or playing poker with their buds using actual money. Or betting on a football game.

    I mean, if you're willing to break the law by playing poker with your buds to compensate for what is lacking in your life, then.. *gasp*... what ELSE are you willing to do?
    Good examples. Surfing online pr0n in the wrong state, and, until recently, getting a tattoo in Oklahoma are a couple of others.

    If the law is to be respected, then the law should be respectable. In a way I think it's a civic duty to disobey fascist laws that should be repealed, in the spirit of the Moonshiners and the Boston Tea Party.
    Last edited by Binary_Digit; 04-07-09 at 01:13 PM.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Drug Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I mean, if you're willing to break the law by playing poker with your buds to compensate for what is lacking in your life, then.. *gasp*... what ELSE are you willing to do?
    Part their hair down the middle

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Oh well. Works for us. No one is forced to do anything. They signed a contract that spelled out our terms and if they don't like those terms they are free to go on down the road.

  4. #64
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Drug Testing

    Whatever we may feel is 'right' or 'wrong' about the issue, the fact of the matter is that employers do have, and probably should have, wide and broad authority when it comes to who they can hire and fire and why.

    There are a handful of 'protected classes' covered by Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws at federal and state levels... race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, among others.

    Beyond that, an employer can fire you for just about whatever reason they like. Don't like your attitude? You're gone. Don't like the clothes you wear? Out the door. Don't like the car you drive? See ya later! Don't like smokers, vegetarians, or gamblers? Goodbye!

    None of these are 'protected' under law.


  5. #65
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Drug Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Is mandatory drug testing as part of entrance to a job, or random drug testing while on the job, a violation of the 4th Amendment against unreasonable search and seizure?
    In most cases, no.
    The 4th amendment protects you from actions by the government, not private employers.

  6. #66
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Drug Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    Whatever we may feel is 'right' or 'wrong' about the issue, the fact of the matter is that employers do have, and probably should have, wide and broad authority when it comes to who they can hire and fire and why.

    There are a handful of 'protected classes' covered by Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws at federal and state levels... race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, among others.

    Beyond that, an employer can fire you for just about whatever reason they like. Don't like your attitude? You're gone. Don't like the clothes you wear? Out the door. Don't like the car you drive? See ya later! Don't like smokers, vegetarians, or gamblers? Goodbye!

    None of these are 'protected' under law.

    It's not illegal, but it is hypocritical.

  7. #67
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,339

    Re: Drug Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Part their hair down the middle



    Is that an old picture? I imagined you probably looked something like that but thought you were much older.

    .

  8. #68
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,339

    Re: Drug Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    What about people who drink alcohol to "compensate for something lacking in their life"? But alcohol is legal, you say? Well then, why did you add the whole "compensate for something lacking in their life" bull****?
    ...
    Some people use alcohol to "compensate for something lacking in their life" but others drink alcohol because they like the taste. I don't believe anyone is smoking MJ just because they like sucking smoke into their lungs.

    If we became aware of someone having a problem with alcohol, we would check it out. Our people socialize with customers and, if they were getting drunk in those situations, we would absolutely fire them.

    BTW, we also do not employ smokers.

    .

  9. #69
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,339

    Re: Drug Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    It's not illegal, but it is hypocritical.
    Mind explaining how it is hypocritical?

    .

  10. #70
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Drug Testing

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Some people use alcohol to "compensate for something lacking in their life" but others drink alcohol because they like the taste. I don't believe anyone is smoking MJ just because they like sucking smoke into their lungs.
    Everyone drinks, smokes, snorts, eats, etc because they like the way it makes them feel. They like the way it tastes (that's a sensation... that qualifies as liking the way it makes them feel). They like the fact it relaxes them. They like the buzz. They like that it wakes them up. Whatever their reasons are for drinking coffee, or alcohol, or snorting lines, or eating good food, or smoking joints, or popping pills, or taking allergy medicine... they all boil down to they like the way it makes them feel. There's really no other reason.

    As such, I don't get why you separate out certain people who like the way it makes them feel 'this' from others who like the way it makes them feel 'that'. Drinking alcohol is drinking alcohol, smoking pot is smoking pot, drinking coffee is drinking coffee, taking pain meds is taking pain meds. Reasons for doing it are quite irrelevant.

    If we became aware of someone having a problem with alcohol, we would check it out. Our people socialize with customers and, if they were getting drunk in those situations, we would absolutely fire them.
    As you should. And you should do the same with other drugs too.

    BTW, we also do not employ smokers.
    As is your prerogative. I wouldn't give a **** if you said you only hire white people with red hair. That would be your prerogative, as far as I'm concerned. But don't pretend it's because you really think one group is somehow smarter than the other. At least be honest about your reasons for discrimination and that they're based on stereotypes and ignorance.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •