View Poll Results: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 23.44%
  • No

    49 76.56%
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 238

Thread: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

  1. #1
    Educator bilbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    10-22-09 @ 05:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    629

    Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Currently 40% of Americans pay no income tax, should these financial failures be permited to influence the country?

    Also should people on government assistence be permited to vote?

    I understand the "right" to vote can not be removed ... but what if?

  2. #2
    Just Crazy Enough to Work
    Edify_Always_In_All_Ways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Last Seen
    01-31-14 @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,299

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by bilbus View Post
    Currently 40% of Americans pay no income tax, should these financial failures be permited to influence the country?

    Also should people on government assistence be permited to vote?

    I understand the "right" to vote can not be removed ... but what if?
    What if all the kids in college without real incomes suddenly started getting taxed? And then there's those greedy retired failures without income, too, I guess - after all, why should old people get to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat
    Heh. Do you realize how many children I'd murder to be immortal and have an army of willing slaves?

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,668

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    And what about the wealthy who find loopholes to pay no income tax?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #4
    Educator bilbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    10-22-09 @ 05:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    629

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    ok, fine the old people can vote.

    college kids should be working also, but really do we want a bunch of branwashed college kids voting?

    You need to give them atleast 2 or 3 years of the real world to get all the socialism out of their systems.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    And what about the wealthy who find loopholes to pay no income tax?
    I hope that was a joke. Think what you will ... Every single wealthy person pays taxes. Well unless you work for obama, and get to run the irs .. or the other half dozen people he apointed.

    You really think that "loopholes" stop the rich from paying taxes .. sure they can avoid some but not even close to a large amount. Most of the ways people use to avoid taxes is called fraud. We all know where those people end up .. one day (unlesss you are a member of congress)
    Last edited by bilbus; 03-11-09 at 06:30 AM.

  5. #5
    User Pookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Last Seen
    02-23-14 @ 09:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    131

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Holy crap, I never thought of that. I don't know -- I would have to think about it, so I can't say yes or no.
    You need a 3rd option there -- "too ignorant to figure it out, and this only applies to Pookie."
    Purrs,
    Pookie
    No matter how much the cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens.
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

  6. #6
    Educator bilbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Seen
    10-22-09 @ 05:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    629

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Why should people who contribute nothing, be permited to vote .. they will only vote for somone who will keep giving them free stuff.

    Think of it like high school .. the one that got voted class presedent was the one who promised to do the most stuff for the most people.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,668

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by bilbus View Post
    ok, fine the old people can vote.

    college kids should be working also, but really do we want a bunch of branwashed college kids voting?

    You need to give them atleast 2 or 3 years of the real world to get all the socialism out of their systems.
    I'd rather have college kids vote than old people with their ancient reactionary ideals mucking up progress.

    See? I can be partisan, too. Now, how about keeping the partisan hackery out of this?



    I hope that was a joke. Think what you will ... Every single wealthy person pays taxes. Well unless you work for obama, and get to run the irs .. or the other half dozen people he apointed.

    You really think that "loopholes" stop the rich from paying taxes .. sure they can avoid some but not even close to a large amount. Most of the ways people use to avoid taxes is called fraud. We all know where those people end up .. one day (unlesss you are a member of congress)
    No joke at all. If you do not believe that this happens, you are being quite naive.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,668

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by bilbus View Post
    Why should people who contribute nothing, be permited to vote .. they will only vote for somone who will keep giving them free stuff.
    Contributing nothing and not paying taxes do not always equate. I think we have to identify what "contributing to society" means. The stay at home mom who doesn't pay taxes, but takes care of the kids, certainly contributes to society.

    Think of it like high school .. the one that got voted class presedent was the one who promised to do the most stuff for the most people.
    The one that got voted class President was the most popular kid. High schoolers know that class Presidents have no power to follow through with any promises.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #9
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    06-16-16 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,928

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    What if people who cheated on there taxes or pretended they forgot to pay taxes could not be appointed to or elected to public office? Ron Kirk, is the latest in a line of crooks appointed by Obama. My point is people who expect the government to take care of them from craddle to grave will allways vote for socialist like Obama, and socialist like Obama will surround himself with a den of thiefs. Experts at wealth redistribution from the hard working taxpayers to themselfs or there causes.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  10. #10
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,339

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No joke at all. If you do not believe that this happens, you are being quite naive.
    Got any proof of this.

    I've heard that high income earners in the US can get out of paying income tax but I think the top 10% of income earners in the US pay something like 70% of the income taxes in the US.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •