View Poll Results: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 23.44%
  • No

    49 76.56%
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 238

Thread: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

  1. #61
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    10-10-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    301

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Students? If they knew ****, they'd be done going to school....unless they're military vets. Since they don't know ****, they don't need to vote.
    So a high school dropout or graduate whose paying income taxes knows **** but a undergraduate student or someone who takes a couple years off to earn an advanced degree doesn't?
    Last edited by Frank Talk; 03-11-09 at 09:02 PM.

  2. #62
    Just Crazy Enough to Work
    Edify_Always_In_All_Ways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Last Seen
    01-31-14 @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,299

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Talk View Post
    So a high school dropout or graduate whose paying income taxes knows **** but a undergraduate student or someone who takes a couple years off to earn an advanced degree doesn't?
    Don't mess with fry cooks at McDonalds. If anyone knows ****, they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat
    Heh. Do you realize how many children I'd murder to be immortal and have an army of willing slaves?

  3. #63
    Tavern Bartender
    #neverhillary
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    68,046

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I'd rather have college kids vote than old people with their ancient reactionary ideals mucking up progress.

    See? I can be partisan, too. Now, how about keeping the partisan hackery out of this?





    No joke at all. If you do not believe that this happens, you are being quite naive.
    Oh hush, and stop ****ing with our hackery.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    I don't like Democrats either.

    Unlike you, I don't support their positions.
    All you just did is prove you don't know jack **** about anything except how to toe a party line. Your analytical skills just failed you. You shouldn't be voting.

    Just because YOU can't win an argument doesn't mean the other guy isn't using sound logic.
    Whatever you say, champ. I haven't even begun to argue let alone attempt to win it. But you're losing it just fine all on your own.

    Well, let's take 'em one at a time.
    Let's do.

    Students? If they knew ****, they'd be done going to school....unless they're military vets. Since they don't know ****, they don't need to vote.
    Is this your famous "logic"? That the status of "student" makes, for instance, a person who just last year was working as a McDonalds fry boy and paying taxes somehow less capable of voting as they were before? That somehow they now know less than they did at their summer job as a construction worker?

    Wow. I don't really know what else there is to say to such a mindless and idiotic assertion.

    Disabled people...if they can't earn money, they've got bigger problems than getting to the polls....and if they're not earning enough to pay income taxes....no, they shouldn't have a vote. I'm easy. Just because they're crippled doesn't mean they should get anything for free.
    So the wheelchair bound person who last year was paying taxes before what put him in a wheelchair is now less of a citizen while he is going through physical therapy or vocational training to get him back to work?

    How moronic and stupid is that?

    I'm also blunt.
    Blunt is your excuse for being rude and ignorant.

    That means I don't have a pointy head, got it?
    Oh I got it. You gained in thickness of the skull what you gave up in pointiness.

    Volunteering is nice. Why should someone who makes a choice to "volunteer", and thereby forego earning an income that can be taxed, get benefits the people that earn the incomes and pay the taxes get...ie, voting for the members of congress who decide how the tax dollars are spent? It's not the volunteers tax dollars, right?
    Expenditure of tax dollars is not all a vote is made for. I mean, it may be to a tunnel visioned idiot who can't walk and chew gum at the same time because his brain doesn't multitask. But to even the "average" person, that is not a difficult task. But if we want to narrow it down to the tax dollar, the volunteer is a set of "boots on the ground" and has much more of a clue how to spend the dollar wisely and what policies may or may not work than the disinterested donor who simply writes the check.

    So, if they want a "voice in government", how about if the drop the feel good stuff and get an honest job, instead?
    An honest job? I didn't realize that housewives who volunteer at soup kitchens or the elderly who offer their time to hospice programs, etc, weren't doing an honest job. I'm sure that may be news to them, too.

    You don't have to be comfortable with it.
    I know, because it's never going to happen.

    You just have to accept the fact that it's morally wrong for people who don't earn the money to have a say in how it's spent.
    But it is also morally wrong for a person to not have an equal voice in how they are governed. You are basically advocating that the vote be bought and that all citizens who do not buy their vote are expected to capitulate like an underclass to those who do buy their vote. It doesn't work that way, champ.

    There's really no getting around that point.
    While you may blindly posture that I haven't, I am fairly comfortable that I have shown many ways around that "point".

    If they haven't paid, they shouldn't expect to play.
    Well this says all that needs to be said about your understanding of the importance of government and the sanctity of the republic.

    And if that means the people who do pay decide that the people who don't vote don't have unconstitutional entitlements to their money, that's only fair. Socialism is, after all, the reason the nation's drowing in debt and suffering a banking collapse.
    And here you simply prove that you haven't the slightest idea what socialism is either. To you it's just a charged word that you think acts as a period on the end of an ill-conceived argument that makes up in ignorance what it lacks in rational merit.

  5. #65
    User BetterHalf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Western NC
    Last Seen
    05-03-09 @ 09:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Holy crap, I never thought of that. I don't know -- I would have to think about it, so I can't say yes or no.
    You need a 3rd option there -- "too ignorant to figure it out, and this only applies to Pookie."
    Purrs,
    Pookie
    Pooks, we talked about this, remember. I know you jury's out but mine isn't, I said No. Too many people have lost jobs and it's a temporary thing for most of them and I think every American should be able to vote reglardless of their circumstances.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,541

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    I say we deny women the right to vote. They only care about their rights. Discriminating broads. ALL OF THEM. Alright time to go beat up my wife.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    There you go again. Proving that you are the "embodiment of reason" as you claim. Carry on trolling now.
    I was reserving judgment but I am convinced that you have it spot on at this stage of the game. Troll and nothing more. At least on this thread.

  8. #68
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I say we deny women the right to vote. They only care about their rights. Discriminating broads. ALL OF THEM. Alright time to go beat up my wife.
    Petition to Repeal the Nineteenth Amendment
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,541

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Only 12% of men and 9% of women support such "liberal" concepts as the Nineteenth Amendment.
    *

    Professor John Lott, Law School University of Chicago, women's suffrage, and nothing else, caused unbridled government growth.
    *

    Musings of an "intelligent" American woman.
    *


    Senator Kay O'Connor agrees.
    *

    A review of the effects of the Nineteenth Amendment on women by Alia Darrow.
    *

    Elizabeth Nickson on why women shouldn't vote.
    *

    Read the Entire Petition.
    *

    How other differences between the sexes.deteriorates the political process.
    *

    American 12th grade girls demonstrate zero percent knowledge of physics.
    *


    See graphs of the effects of the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment.
    *
    F'n brilliant. Nothing like MSN convos to prove your point.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 03-12-09 at 12:22 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Last time I checked, being born in the U.S. meant you were a citizen, and citizens get Constitutional rights. Your citizenship isn't based on how much money you make or your way of life, and your rights aren't revoked because you don't fall into an income tax bracket. Money is what helped the settlers buy resources to build America, but it was their own physical strength, endurance, and dedication that permitted them to continue. Just because you don't make money doesn't mean you have nothing to contribute.

    Sounds to me like advocates of this idea are the type of people who would never volunteer or do anything unpaid.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •