View Poll Results: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 23.44%
  • No

    49 76.56%
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 238

Thread: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

  1. #171
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,364

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Oh my bad, you did say "whenever an election is held in your region"

    I didn't realize you lived overseas, I'm sorry
    The election is held in your region where you are registered, regardless of where you live. Perhaps I should have clarified by changing "in your region" to "in the region where you are a registered voter".

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The election is held in your region where you are registered, regardless of where you live. Perhaps I should have clarified by changing "in your region" to "in the region where you are a registered voter".
    Then only registered voters in Washington DC can vote for president.

    Well WTF? 99% of Congress are not registered Washington DC voters...so why do they get any say at all?

  3. #173
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,364

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Then only registered voters in Washington DC can vote for president.

    Well WTF? 99% of Congress are not registered Washington DC voters...so why do they get any say at all?
    That's not a regional election.

  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    my goodness, I'm not attacking you. I'm merely pointing out that you want to keep anyone who disagrees with you from voting.
    Right...I only want people who agree with me to vote. Which is why I would support PC women to vote so long as they were married...because everyone on DP knows how much I support a woman's right to choose

    Married women would generally make PC arguments consistent with familial cohesion and protecting actual victims.

    Unmarried women will typically make PC arguments favoring hyper-individualism and self-centeredness.

    I can negotiate with the first, but the second is irrational.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-13-09 at 03:51 PM.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    That's not a regional election.
    Then you have no point

  6. #176
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,364

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Then you have no point


    The election you speak of is not a part of my point.

    We're discussing the fundamental right to vote, which exists, not the fundamental right to vote for a specific office. That doesn't exist.

    But one always has a fundamental right to vote in any regional election that is held.

    Whether or not a regional election is actually held is what becomes a civil right.

  7. #177
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Right...I only want people who agree with me to vote. Which is why I would support PC women to vote so long as they were married...because everyone on DP knows how much I support a woman's right to choose

    Married women would generally make PC arguments consistent with familial cohesion and protecting actual victims.

    Unmarried women will typically make PC arguments favoring hyper-individualism and self-centeredness.

    I can negotiate with the first, but the second is irrational.


    you can't hide behind abortion forever.

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post


    you can't hide behind abortion forever.
    My post was not in any way off-topic.

    It illustrated an example of how 'agreeing with me' is not the common denominator.

    I could make similer examples using gay marriage, taxation, etc.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-13-09 at 04:07 PM.

  9. #179
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,225

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    that would work great until it was overrun by liberals and started turning out only democrats and socialists. call me cynical.
    Very very true.


    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    why do you think government schools are detrimental to development? at what point do people need to accept the resources they are given and take responsibility for their own self actualization by using what is available to help them acquire what is unavailable? perhaps I am missing the point. I am, after all, a woman.
    The structure is unnatural. Children shouldn't be forced into collectives where hierarchies develop.

    Government schools in their present form have only existed for about 150 years. It is still a relatively new concept.

    I agree that one must pursue their own self actualization on the other hand when the authority that presides over the collective recognizes certain groups above others it has negative effects for the more meritorious group.

    Example. In most of my schooling years the hierarchy recognized by the teachers, administration, and students was jocks=preps > average collective > intellectuals= artists.

    The top end of the hierarchy received more privileges when they were not earned.

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    soda FTW!
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should voting be limited to Americans who pay Income tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post


    The election you speak of is not a part of my point.

    We're discussing the fundamental right to vote, which exists, not the fundamental right to vote for a specific office. That doesn't exist.

    But one always has a fundamental right to vote in any regional election that is held.

    Whether or not a regional election is actually held is what becomes a civil right.
    My original point was that one does not have the fundimental right to vote per-se, and you counter point was that one does have the fundimental right to vote per-se.

    I was not speaking of regonal elections, and neither were you.

    You only began adding qualifyers and moving the goal posts after you were challanged.

    Nice try though.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-13-09 at 04:10 PM.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •