View Poll Results: Do you agree with the quote? (read intro)

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    27 87.10%
  • No

    0 0%
  • Other (even though selecting "other" makes no sense)

    4 12.90%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Do you agree with this quote?

  1. #11
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Do you agree with this quote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No. You dont have to be eductated to do that.
    And, the ability to do that doesn't mean you are, or make you, educated.
    First of all, the quote is not saying that you have to be educated in order to judge a situation dispassionately. Therefore your first point is invalid.

    Second, the ability to judge a situation dispassionately does not make you educated, the ability shows that you already are educated and that you know enough about the world and the current situation to not accept it but still find interest in it. Therefore your second point is invalid.

    Your sig:

    Gotta love the thoughtful, open-mindedness of the left.
    I'm open minded enough to realize that conservative ideologies are too "controlled," very tightly packed, and too guarded.

    Now, I'm not making fun of you Goobieman, just reasoning.

    I don't condemn conservative ideas with extreme opposition, I just think they are ideas which are forced upon people before they learn more about the world. I see many conservatives as those who are still clinging to the ship, knowing that the storm is coming, while others have learned that you can't keep holding on.

    An example of this is the fact that you disagree with Aristotle's quote. Those who think that you cannot entertain a thought without accepting it obviously have not learned enough, they still cling the idea that you must always hold to your beliefs and not consider other ideas, even if those other ideas are sometimes better than their current belief.

    But I thought more about your argument, and I think I might be a bit too "gruff" for being liberal to say such a thing in my sig. Therefore I'm going to remove the phrase "grow up."
    Last edited by Cilogy; 03-11-09 at 10:35 AM.


  2. #12
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do you agree with this quote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    First of all, the quote is not saying that you have to be educated in order to judge a situation dispassionately. Therefore your first point is invalid.

    Second, the ability to judge a situation dispassionately does not make you educated, the ability shows that you already are educated and that you know enough about the world and the current situation to not accept it but still find interest in it. Therefore your second point is invalid.
    No. They are not. You're trying to necessasily link two concepts that have no necessary relationship. Both can exist without the other; that one exists does not necessitate that the other exists as well.

    That is, you CAN have an educated mind and NOT entertain a position without accepting it, and an UN-educated mind CAN entertain a position without accepting it.

    I'm open minded enough to realize that conservative ideologies are too "controlled," very tightly packed, and too guarded.
    Your argument here is self-defeating, as no one truely open minded would reach such a conclusion.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 03-11-09 at 10:45 AM.

  3. #13
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Do you agree with this quote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No. They are not. You're trying to necessasily link two concepts that have no necessary relationship. Both can exist without the other; that one exists does not necessitate that the other exists as well.
    I agree that you don't have to have the ability to entertain thoughts in order to be educated. But the idea that you have the ability entertain thoughts means that you are educated enough to be open minded.

    That is, you CAN have an educated mind and NOT entertain a position without accepting it,
    This is true, I agree with this statement. I never said that being educated automatically makes you entertain thoughts like that. I just said that being educated gives you the ability to entertain thoughts in such a way.

    and an UN-educated mind CAN entertain a position without accepting it.
    This is not necessarily true. A person who has the ability to entertain thoughts without accepting them is therefore educated enough to do so.

    If you do not agree with this, then give me an example of how you can be uneducated and still entertain thoughts, then I will explain it.

    My main point is that if someone is able entertain a thought without accepting it, it means that the person is knowledgeable.



    Your argument here is self-defeating, as no one truely open minded would reach such a conclusion.
    Oh my god I'm so sorry I didn't mean it like that.

    I guess you're right. Actually I find myself accepting some conservative ideas sometimes. This is why I believe I am open minded.

    An open minded doesn't accept every opinion, an open minded person will hear every opinion, every side of an argument.

    I also feel open minded because I don't automatically reject conservative ideas. I think about them first, I entertain those thoughts without accepting them first and apply them to the real world, then I see which ones will work, which ones make sense. Therefore I come to my own conclusions based on the comparison of my beliefs versus conservative ideas.


  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you agree with this quote?

    Yeah, sure.

    Only an educated mind can give the odd idea a good song and dance without cluttering his house up with a thousand stray cats.

  5. #15
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Do you agree with this quote?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    100% with one caveat and a modification. A thought/idea may not make any sense to anyone under any circumstance and therefore would be the exception.

    Educated doesn't equate to intelligence.

    "It is the mark of an intelligent mind to be able to entertain and idea or thought without accepting it"
    My thoughts exactly and why I put other (holy crap, it can make sense!)



    P.S. I would just like to note that saying "I put up an "Other" option, just so people don't whine, but I still don't see why it is needed sometimes." is an example of not being able to entertain a thought while not having accepted it.

    To the OP: You didn't add the option because you entertained the thought that it could be a plausible response, you did it to prevent "whining". In truth, if you truly believe the Aristotelian quote, it would also mean that you also believe yourself to be uneducated.

  6. #16
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,554

    Re: Do you agree with this quote?

    I think even a stupid man can entertain thoughts without accepting them. And maybe that is the true point by using irony after you fully chew the words through.


    My favorite philisophical quote: (On if Israel will use nukes or not)

    "Well lets just say this... Israel will not be the second nation to be nuked"
    Last edited by dirtpoorchris; 03-11-09 at 03:05 PM.
    Is society was made of coral our world would be floral.

  7. #17
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,514

    Re: Do you agree with this quote?

    Without intellect, an education is fruitless....
    Without education, intellect is wasted....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    06-29-09 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Do you agree with this quote?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    I started as a liberal and was so until 2000.
    I'm curious about this as well. What happened in 2000 that could have changed your mind and, how old are you?

  9. #19
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Do you agree with this quote?

    I have a strong suspicion many here are jumping to conclusions about the meaning of word 'educated' in the quote.

    Synonyms:

    accomplished, acquainted with, brainy, civilized, coached, corrected, cultivated, cultured, developed, enlightened, enriched, erudite, expert, finished, fitted, formed, informed, initiated, instructed, intelligent, knowledgeable, lettered, literary, literate, nurtured, polished, prepared, professional, refined, scholarly, schooled, scientific, shaped, skilled, tasteful, taught, trained, tutored, versed in, well-informed, well-read, well-taught, well-versed

    Any linguists in the group who can give us a better understanding of Aristotle's original usage?

    Last edited by Grateful Heart; 03-11-09 at 07:16 PM.

  10. #20
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 11:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Do you agree with this quote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinu7 View Post
    I put other. The main reason is that I think the word "mature" would better fit than educated. Of course, it was originally in Greek, so the translation may be iffy.


    I'm curious, tell me about it.
    A friend suggested I was a conservative but I was unaware of it. I voted for Algore then began looking at the opposition to gwb and felt he didn't deserve the criticism. As time went on I saw the opposition to the president as distasteful and wrongheaded. I never looked back.

    OBL 11/24/02

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •