View Poll Results: Read the intro and vote accordingly

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    4 19.05%
  • no

    13 61.90%
  • maybe

    4 19.05%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 84

Thread: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    America (A.K.A., a red state)
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,317

    Re: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I'm not really inclined to accept you referencing your own little penny novel in this debate.
    This isn't a debate at all. It's one thinking individual holding liberal after liberal by the head as they swing at him wildly with irrelevant smears and hilariously stupid contradictions.

    I could provide you video proof of Joe Biden ranting about what "high tech bullies" we are for removing the Taliban and what a disaster the war has already become (in three whole weeks), and you would respond by smearing me as a radical right-winger who probably doctored the tape.

    It's just how hysterics like you respond to facts and evidence.

    We'll play more tomorrow. Keep looking for new grade school taunts to hurl, and I'll make sure to keep laughing at you.
    Last edited by aquapub; 03-10-09 at 01:51 PM.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner (paraphrasing James Bovard).

  2. #42
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    This isn't a debate at all. It's one thinking individual holding liberal after liberal by the head as they swing at him wildly with irrelevant smears and hilariously stupid contradictions.

    I could provide you video proof of Joe Biden ranting about what "high tech bullies" we are for removing the Taliban and what a disaster the war has already become (in three whole weeks), and you would respond by smearing me as a radical right-winger who probably doctored the tape.

    It's just how hysterics like you respond to facts and evidence.

    We'll play more tomorrow. Keep looking for new grade school taunts to hurl, and I'll make sure to keep laughing at you.
    It's hard to even get to the crux of your point considering that you don't offer anything hard and factual to discuss. You only offer your own take on it complete with hyper-partisan views and frankly we already know what that is. Why do you insist on using your blog as a source in these polls? It seems that you are more interested in arrogantly foisting your personal views on people rather than having an intellectual discussion about it. Frankly I think that you are in the wrong place if that's what you are interested in.

    As for your point, I think it's unwise of anyone to think that they can negotiate with extremists regardless of their political affiliation.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    This isn't a debate at all. It's one thinking individual holding liberal after liberal by the head as they swing at him wildly with irrelevant smears and hilariously stupid contradictions.
    Whatever you say, pubby. If you had half a clue as to how ridiculous you sound every time you post you wouldn't have such an inflated view of yourself.

    But whatever gets you through it. How are those book sales coming along, by the way?

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    It's hard to even get to the crux of your point considering that you don't offer anything hard and factual to discuss. You only offer your own take on it complete with hyper-partisan views and frankly we already know what that is. Why do you insist on using your blog as a source in these polls? It seems that you are more interested in arrogantly foisting your personal views on people rather than having an intellectual discussion about it. Frankly I think that you are in the wrong place if that's what you are interested in.

    As for your point, I think it's unwise of anyone to think that they can negotiate with extremists regardless of their political affiliation.
    Psst...he wants Anne Coulter to notice him and declare her undying affection for him. It's all for her.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-22-16 @ 07:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,215

    Re: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Psst...he wants Anne Coulter to notice him and declare her undying affection for him. It's all for her.
    Aquapub is gay.

    Have seen coulters adams apple LOL

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Aquapub is gay.

    Have seen coulters adams apple LOL
    "See...liberals when confronted with flawless conservative arguments and massive cranial ability like mine always have to resort to calling me gay."

    Aquapub Autoreply Generator

  7. #47
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    Yet when Ronald Reagan used it in the Iran-Iraq war, liberals spent two decades tirelessly smearing him as what's wrong with our arrogant foreign policy approach.
    What are you talking about? How did Reagan do anything similar in that conflict?

    Are you making stuff up again?

    Aren't liberals the ones who told us finding bin Laden was "the real mission" and fell all over each other to hysterically denounce Bush for working with the Saudis and Pakistan (governments that were against al Qaida)? Yet now it's just a common sense strategy to ally ourselves with an actual terrorist sponsor that cause 9/11?
    Oh the uber-partisanism is coming out. If you bothered to actually read anything we've said, you would have noticed we are for talking to the members of the Taliban who can be separated from the rest. Both Bhkad and I, who normally never see eye to eye agree 100% that you are dead wrong.

    Did you people seriously think no one would notice the gaping holes in your blatant Obama-apologist spin?

    Hilarious.

    Bhkad is being an Obama-Apologist?

    I'm not sure you can top that in terms of insanity.

    If a Democrat...contradicts everything they have claimed to stand for...to negotiate with those shielding al Qaida...after spending five years using "the real war" in Afghanistan to undermine the other war Democrats voted for in Iraq...that is surrender...on a monumentally hypocritical scale.
    What the hell are you talking about?

    Apparently oblivious child is to busy derailing to sneer at people to realize that the difference is working with terrorists vs. working with those who oppose terrorists.
    You really have no understanding of COIN do you?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #48
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    Fine, let's have a show of hands. How many here think there's a difference between working with the terror-sponsoring regime that facilitated 9/11 and continues to aid and shelter bin Laden to this day and using the fact that al Qaida had turned the Sunnis in Iraq against them to bring an alienated religious sect of the country to the table for unity governance and anti-al Qaida efforts?
    Lol. Way to completely ignore what I wrote. What I actually said, instead of your obvious fabrication is that the Taliban of 2001 is very different from the Taliban of 2009. One major instance is that many of the fighters are not religious fanatics, but are fighting against what they perceive is a corrupt government and an occupying foreign power. Where did we see this before? Malaya and Vietnam. Which tactic succeeded in suppressing the insurgency? The British COIN operations which took insurgents and turned them against the insurgency. You clearly have absolutely no clue about what you are talking about. Another instance is that the formerly anti-drug Taliban openly cultivates and profits from opium sales. That's a 180 degree change from its former position.

    The notion that individual fighters from Afghanistan are harboring Bin Laden is nuts. Not to mention if we WANT to get him, the British experience in Malaya suggests that we should slowly turn soldiers up the ranks until we get someone who knows where Bin Laden is and can be turned against him. Your argument completely and absolutely ignores all successful tactics of COIN operations in human history. Well, there is one that does deviate, but it involves genocide. Maybe you'd support that. It's Roman.

    Furthermore, the Sunni Councils were working with and sheltering Islamic radical fighters in Iraq. Their switching sides is what allowed us to effectively decimate the ranks of al Qaida in Iraq. Fundamentally, it is little different then the principles use in Malaya.

    Again, both Bhkad and I agree your argument is completely wrong.

    You call me an Obama apologist, yet I'm saying the same thing he is. Why don't you call him one too?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #49
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 11:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Both Bhkad and I, who normally never see eye to eye agree 100% that you are dead wrong.
    Don't put words in my mouth, please. I'd maintain that Aquapub refuses to take in new information which would threaten his viewpoint.

    This new strategy is the strategy that Petraeus has adopted because it gives us the best chance of achieving our aims.

    By the way, it is the same strategy that we used in the first several months after 9/11 when everyone agrees we were "winning" in Afghanistan.

    It's too bad Aquapub refuses to read the Crumpton interview. He'd find common ground with this respected real life, modern day spy.

    OBL 11/24/02

  10. #50
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Democrats Reverse U.S. Policy, Negotiate With Terrorists-Even the Taliban

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    Don't put words in my mouth, please. I'd maintain that Aquapub refuses to take in new information which would threaten his viewpoint.
    We all maintain that Aquapub refuses to take in new information which would threaten his viewpoint. That doesn't change the fact that both you and I agree that his rant against the strategy is wrong.

    This new strategy is the strategy that Petraeus has adopted because it gives us the best chance of achieving our aims.
    Agreed. However, one flaw is that the strategy doesn't seem to deal with the perceived corruptness within the Afghan government. That was one of the major downfalls in Vietnam. General Petraeus has seemed to have studied that conflict, Malaya and other COIN operations not to mention his think tank which included Lt Col. Nagl. Any word on if he's pushing for reform in the government? Failure to fix the government could undue everything we work for militarily.

    By the way, it is the same strategy that we used in the first several months after 9/11 when everyone agrees we were "winning" in Afghanistan.
    Why did that change? Rummy?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •