View Poll Results: Is Obama somewhat to blame for the earmarks in the $410 billion spending bill?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (explain)

    3 37.50%
  • No (explain)

    5 62.50%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58

Thread: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

  1. #21
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

    Earmarks are like lobbyists. They are a valuable tool, but they are open to abuse and could definitely do with some reform. In public, though, they're a nice easy target so the problems get ridiculously inflated. It's true that Obama could veto the spending bill and thereby do something about earmarks, but that would be a horrible reason to veto such a bill.

  2. #22
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    01-07-15 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,067

    Re: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I have clearly addressed the correct bill in a subsequent post and its correlations to obama's promises. Please try to keep up.
    Look, you were obviously wrong and you even admitted it was your bad in your earlier post. I am not the one coming in here and failing to read the OP but running around making statements. I'm caught up.


    Do you think he will sign it?
    Yes, I know he will if he gets it.

    What about his campaign promise to end earmarks and pork spending?
    He made a promise to not submit earmarks as a Senator. Did he say that if he was elected he would not sign a spending bill with earmarks on it? I honestly don't know if he said that or not. Not all earmarks are pork. Would you like a lesson about pork barrel spending versus transparent and beneficial earmarks?

    Does the buck stop with him or not?
    Yes and no. He has a responsibility to ensure government continues to function. I'm want him to cut the pork but not arbitrarily kill very good programs that relay on earmarks for their continued existence. Primarily those in the public safety field.

    I'm not so worried about his alleged promises and whether or not he keeps them. He's a politician. If he's talking he's probably lying. I'm worried about business getting done.


    Please, I think you are capable of putting things in context and viewing the bigger picture here. Please do not prove me wrong.
    Please don't try and run a game on me up here. I caught you, I pointed out your mistake, and you went on the attack. You can stop anytime.
    Last edited by Lerxst; 03-08-09 at 05:24 PM.
    Hi. TOGTFO.

  3. #23
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    01-07-15 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,067

    Re: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Earmarks are like lobbyists. They are a valuable tool, but they are open to abuse and could definitely do with some reform. In public, though, they're a nice easy target so the problems get ridiculously inflated. It's true that Obama could veto the spending bill and thereby do something about earmarks, but that would be a horrible reason to veto such a bill.
    Absolutely correct. Vetoing a $410 billion dollar spending bill because there are $8 billion in homestate earmarks, without judging the merit of the individual projects, is a stupid thing to do. You hamstring not only the federal, but state and local government as well. There are billions in very good projects in that bill that I personally know of that will go away if they don't get this thing done. There is also wasteful pork as well.

    The problem is not Obama, the problem is that there is a way business gets done in Washington, and it is so pervasive, so powerful, that it is an institution unto itself. If anyone thinks a sitting President can overcome this they are simply fooling themselves. We live in a mixed capitalist society with a democratically elected government. As long as this is the case we will have politicians who are willing to operate within the system and maintain it. You do for me, I do for you. I vote for your amendment, you vote for mine. You donate to my campaign, I'll make sure an offer an amendment on the spending bill funding a project you'll benefit from.

    That's how it works, that's how it's always worked, that is how it's going to continue for a long time to come.
    Hi. TOGTFO.

  4. #24
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,947

    Re: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

    So Obama gets elected on "change" this was one of the "changes" he promised, Now he is going to sign a rediculous spending bill but "the problem is not Obama"....


    At which point do you hold him accountable?


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  5. #25
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,947

    Re: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Look, you were obviously wrong and you even admitted it was your bad in your earlier post. I am not the one coming in here and failing to read the OP but running around making statements. I'm caught up.
    oh boy here comes the little tantrum......


    the relationship is obvious. you would rather complain. ok whatever.


    Yes, I know he will if he gets it.

    Thus breaking his campaign promise. how do you feel about that?





    He made a promise to not submit earmarks as a Senator. Did he say that if he was elected he would not sign a spending bill with earmarks on it? I honestly don't know if he said that or not. Not all earmarks are pork. Would you like a lesson about pork barrel spending versus transparent and beneficial earmarks?
    Really, so he never campaigned on ending earmarks in bills as a canidate? are you sure about that? either you are dishonest or ignorant of your man Obama...

    Which is is lerxst?




    Yes and no. He has a responsibility to ensure government continues to function. I'm want him to cut the pork but not arbitrarily kill very good programs that relay on earmarks for their continued existence. Primarily those in the public safety field.
    Wait so are you contradicting your last paragraph, did he promise to stop the earmarks or what?

    What happened to that "scapple" he promised. Didn't you watch the debates before intelligently voting? sounds like the answer to this is a "no"



    I'm not so worried about his alleged promises and whether or not he keeps them. He's a politician. If he's talking he's probably lying. I'm worried about business getting done.

    "alleged" are you going to play the LERXST SHUFFLE® now and claim there is no evidence of his promises then deny all and every link proving it?


    Please don't try and run a game on me up here. I caught you, I pointed out your mistake, and you went on the attack. You can stop anytime.


    /sniff sniff


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  6. #26
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,947

    Re: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Let's see what he does with FY2010. I bet he will sign that one and it will, like usual, be laden with pork.

    Did Obama actually promise not to sign a spending bill with earmarks, or did he promise that he, as a Senator, would not requst any earmarks? There is a huge difference here.


    Obama beats early retreat on promise to fight pork



    i look foward to pages of you denying actual facts,.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  7. #27
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    03-10-09 @ 07:08 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    44

    Re: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

    Earmarks, to me, are mostly congress' fault.

    I also think every time a congressman gets funding for an earmark, they should get a little tattoo of red X on their ear, like fighter pilots do when they shoot some one down. Then, when it comes to re-election, they can brag and show the world how awesome they are.
    Last edited by ladilala; 03-09-09 at 07:14 AM.
    My English is not always perfect, so please, try not to go nuts as I lack infallible grammar and spelling.

  8. #28
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    01-07-15 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,067

    Re: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    oh boy here comes the little tantrum......
    Why must you troll? When I posted this we were cross posting...me with this post you with your admission that you were wrong. Check the times before you go on the attack maybe?


    the relationship is obvious. you would rather complain. ok whatever.
    The relationship to what? The two bills? I'm not complaining, I'm clarifying for you as you obviously didn't even read the OP before launching into your assault. The OP was regarding the FY2009 Ominbus spending bill, you linked a video to the stimulus bill and went on the attack. You were corrected three or four times about this before you realized your mistake. Why are you backing up and going on the attack after already realizing you were caught?

    Thus breaking his campaign promise. how do you feel about that?
    He's a politician, I don't expect him not to break his campaign promises. If his lips are moving he's probably lying. "Read my ilps!" It's nothing new. Both he and McCain were selling us a bill of goods on earmarks. They are around one percent of the total budget....OOHHHHHH huge fight against wasteful spending there. I don't care about earmark reform because it's a political ruse to take the focus off our governments inefficiency and mismanagement of much larger spending issues.

    Really, so he never campaigned on ending earmarks in bills as a canidate? are you sure about that? either you are dishonest or ignorant of your man Obama...

    Which is is lerxst?
    Well here you are being deliberately insulting to me. I think I clearly stated I did not know if he had ever promised to end earmarks, in fact your own article doesn't cite him "ending earmarks." It says he promised to reduce them to 1994 levels. I also found where he said he would not offer earmarks himself as a Senator and he would reduce earmarks. Now, can you show me where he promised to end ear marks? Please? It's your argument and you are beating me up over it. You can however continue to insult me all you like.

    Wait so are you contradicting your last paragraph, did he promise to stop the earmarks or what?
    No, stop and please read...really read....what I posted. I've asked for evidence that Obama said he would end all earmarks. Please show that first. So let me ask you something. You have said he promised to end earmarks, now you are saying he promised to take a scalpel to it. Which one is it? Or did he make both promises. The scalpel comment I remember, and it's inline with his promise to reduce earmarks to 1994 levels and fight pork (he obviously isn't doing that with this bill).

    What happened to that "scapple" he promised. Didn't you watch the debates before intelligently voting? sounds like the answer to this is a "no"
    See above.



    "alleged" are you going to play the LERXST SHUFFLE® now and claim there is no evidence of his promises then deny all and every link proving it?
    Well your own link in no way shows any promise by him to end earmarks. So rather than blatantly insult me, why don't you go find us some actual evidence of him promising to end all earmarks. Remember, this is your case, not mine. I pointed out that he promised not to offer earmarks as a Senator during his campaign. Which he kept. He promised to "reduce" earmarks to 1994 levels, which is included in the article you followed up with. He is probably going to fail this as well should he ever see the actual bill.

    /sniff sniff
    Quote Originally Posted by you after being challenged over your failure to read the OP carefully before attacking
    My bad..... But still, its pork, it's spending, obama promised to cut wasteful spending and pork, and there is no indication he will veto this idiocy of a spending bill.
    You can drop the insults anytime and focus on the issues. You have some substantiating to do. I'll wait.
    Hi. TOGTFO.

  9. #29
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    01-07-15 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,067

    Re: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Hellhound
    Really, so he never campaigned on ending earmarks in bills as a canidate? are you sure about that? either you are dishonest or ignorant of your man Obama...

    Which is is lerxst?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Obama beats early retreat on promise to fight pork



    i look foward to pages of you denying actual facts,.
    Is this to support your claim he would end earmarks? I've read the article. Since it was your evidence, I'll let you show me where you find his promise to end earmarks. I know he promised earmark reform, but find no evidence of ending earmarks. Are you sure you want to maintain this position Reverend Hellhound?
    Last edited by Lerxst; 03-09-09 at 08:40 AM.
    Hi. TOGTFO.

  10. #30
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,947

    Re: Obama to blame for earmarks in spending bill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Is this to support your claim he would end earmarks? I've read the article. Since it was your evidence, I'll let you show me where you find his promise to end earmarks. I know he promised earmark reform, but find no evidence of ending earmarks. Are you sure you want to maintain this position Reverend Hellhound?



    And so it begins....


    Here is another


    "During the presidential campaign last fall, Mr. Obama pledged not to sign legislation laden with billions in earmarks. His Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain, has steadfastly — and admirably — refused to ask for earmarked funds and remains the leading opponent of the wasteful practice."


    Budget Pork Will Bedevil Obama -- Courant.com




    Please by all means don't let facts get in the way of your partisan rhetoric.,


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •