View Poll Results: Should civil unions replace marriage for legal purposes?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • The term civil union should replace the term marriage for legal purposes

    15 22.73%
  • Both terms, civil union (for gay couples)and marriage (for straight), should be used

    25 37.88%
  • The term marriage should be use equally for gay and straight couples

    21 31.82%
  • Gay couples should not be able to have the rights of marriage at all.

    5 7.58%
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 345

Thread: Civil Unions

  1. #31
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Civil Unions

    Marriage is first and foremost a social institution, hence its universal existence in human cultures of vastly different religious practice-- including those cultures who have had their religious traditions suppressed by tyrannical government.

    I believe that the government has a legitimate role in deciding which marriages it will and will not officially recognize, since that official recognition concerns the government's interactions with the married couple. And, just as the government may decide for itself which marriages it will or will not recognize, each church should have every right to decide for itself which marriages it will or will not recognize-- as that is concerned with the church's interactions with the married couple.

    Beyond that, I believe the argument should revolve around which policy is more beneficial to the citizens and the culture, and which policy better upholds the traditions and the values of our society.

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    27,075

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Marriage is first and foremost a social institution, hence its universal existence in human cultures of vastly different religious practice-- including those cultures who have had their religious traditions suppressed by tyrannical government.

    I believe that the government has a legitimate role in deciding which marriages it will and will not officially recognize, since that official recognition concerns the government's interactions with the married couple. And, just as the government may decide for itself which marriages it will or will not recognize, each church should have every right to decide for itself which marriages it will or will not recognize-- as that is concerned with the church's interactions with the married couple.

    Beyond that, I believe the argument should revolve around which policy is more beneficial to the citizens and the culture, and which policy better upholds the traditions and the values of our society.
    Tradition should never be a reason to deny/accept any sort of law. Laws should be based on what is right and what is wrong. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #33
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Tradition should never be a reason to deny/accept any sort of law. Laws should be based on what is right and what is wrong. Nothing more, nothing less.
    That is a very powerful and very definitive way of saying absolutely nothing.

    What is right and what is wrong depends entirely on personal belief, and those personal beliefs are, in many cases, strongly influenced by cultural tradition.

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    27,075

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    That is a very powerful and very definitive way of saying absolutely nothing.

    What is right and what is wrong depends entirely on personal belief, and those personal beliefs are, in many cases, strongly influenced by cultural tradition.
    What is right and what is wrong can be figured out by using logic.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #35
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,545

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You have got to be kidding?
    Not really.

    In the history of this country it does exist.
    And like I said. The moment an atheist got married marriage stopped being a religious institution.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #36
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What is right and what is wrong can be figured out by using logic.
    Only if you accept and agree upon a priori moral principles-- which is circular, when you're trying to determine what those moral principles are supposed to be.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    My question is: Is there room for compromise in the gay marriage debate? Would it be acceptable to label all marriage (man and woman, or two men, or two women) a civil union for legal purposes. If I'm not mistaken now a couple is married once they sign the marriage certificate, the ceremony is secondary from a legal standpoint. So make all marriages a civil union in the eyes of the government with all the legal rights that go with it. Marriage would be a religious issue.
    Marriage would be religious for me only if it had no benefits but seeing there are tax benefits with it. It is a Government issue not religious and no, i see no problem with civil unions being called marriage of vice versa for everyone.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    27,075

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Only if you accept and agree upon a priori moral principles-- which is circular, when you're trying to determine what those moral principles are supposed to be.
    1: Do homosexuals get to marry who they want? 2: Do heterosexuals get to marry who they want? 3: Are the answers the same?

    1: No.
    2: Yes.
    3: No.

    Where is the morality in those questions? Is there logic to those questions? Yes.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    My question is: Is there room for compromise in the gay marriage debate? Would it be acceptable to label all marriage (man and woman, or two men, or two women) a civil union for legal purposes. If I'm not mistaken now a couple is married once they sign the marriage certificate, the ceremony is secondary from a legal standpoint. So make all marriages a civil union in the eyes of the government with all the legal rights that go with it. Marriage would be a religious issue.
    Where is Gallenrox?

    I told him this was necessarily the logical consequence of gay-marriage nearly 4 years ago on this forum, and he said I was full of ****.

    Where is he?

    So we're doing away with marriage now?

    Well there you go: gay-marriage is endangering my right to marry, therefore it is unconstitutional.

  10. #40
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Am I supposed to take this literally? Do you know what a patent is? And if religion had a patent on marriage I'm pretty sure it would have expired after the first couple hundred years.
    No, you weren't. It was a euphemism. You get the point though. Marriage has historically been defined by religion.

    Seriously. What are you going on about and do you have any evidence for what you're talking about? As far as I know marriage started as a way for tribes and clans or families to unite. How you can say that marriage between 'a man and a woman' is new is beyond me considering marriage between a man and a woman has been in practice since the days of Ancient Egypt and before that. I await a source for your post.
    Tell, which, which religion is older: The one practiced by ancient Egyptians, on the earliest pagans?

    Anyways, fair enough. After 20 minutes of Google, I can't find anything definitive. However, I can't find anything definitive about where marriage actually started. Anyways, we know that pagans in Europe go back at bare minimum 5,000 years.

    But no one really knows where the first marriage came from, who started it and what it entailed.

    You also fail to understand the point I'm making. While religion has historically defined what marriage was, marriage was not historically always defined as one man one woman. I'm actually on your side.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •