View Poll Results: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (see follow-up questions)

    8 15.09%
  • No

    45 84.91%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 112

Thread: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

  1. #81
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    152,188

    Re: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That's not a bad way to look at it...
    Akhil Reed Amar of Yale Law-a very liberal but honest scholar sort of says the same thing. However, for the collective need to be met, the individual right has to exist
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Ok... I don't think that it should either, as long as those that own guns realize that they are in the militia and gun owners realize that it is a collective right.
    rights are never "collective".

    Groups never have more "rights" than any individual in them.

    Oh, and by the way, how many fingers fit into a trigger guard?

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    I said yes for two reasons. First, AWB aside (though some reduction in crime was reported in the figures), there have been no repeats of the 1997 North Hollywood shoot-out since the first ban. Secondly, such weapons serve no purpose other than murder. How many people hunt with an assault rifle or even target shoot. Standard bolt-action rifles are 10-times more accurate and handguns are much more used in target shooting. Assault rifles are used for compound protection by insane zealots, so I have no problem making it more difficult for them to own them.
    The purpose of the Second Amendment is certainly to allow hunting.

    To allow hunting of politicians when they get uppity.

  4. #84
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    152,188

    Re: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    I said yes for two reasons. First, AWB aside (though some reduction in crime was reported in the figures), there have been no repeats of the 1997 North Hollywood shoot-out since the first ban. Secondly, such weapons serve no purpose other than murder. How many people hunt with an assault rifle or even target shoot. Standard bolt-action rifles are 10-times more accurate and handguns are much more used in target shooting. Assault rifles are used for compound protection by insane zealots, so I have no problem making it more difficult for them to own them.
    what a moronic comment. Guns that you hoplophobes call "assault weapons" include the most popular olympic target pistols and the dominant firearm at the Camp Perry National Rifle Championships.


    People who want to get rid of our rights are the main reason we need weapons that are useful for killing.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  5. #85
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Factual error and fallacy:
    -The AWB did not affect full-auto weapons such as those used in that event.
    -Even if it sdid, there's no way to show that the ban prevented another shooting like that


    Factual error
    'Assault weapons' can be effctively used for just about any legitimate purpose on emight have for a gun.


    factual errors and fallacy
    -I shoot competitively wity my 'assault weapons', as do tens of thousands of others.
    -There isnt any reason an 'assualt weapon' cannot be used to hunt as effectibely as any other weapon you;d hunt with
    -The reason for protecting the right to arms has nothing to do with hunting or target shooting.


    Factual error.
    The accuracy of many 'assault weapons' compares favorably to and may exceed that of a standard bolt-action rifle -- as anyone thats fired in service rifle class from the 1000yd line.


    I wonder: now that you know that the stated basis for your support of the ban has been shown to be factually and logically flawed -- will you change your mind?


    How did you "factually," rebut any of my assertions. All you did was reassert your own points. I will put my Savage tactical against any assault rifle any day of the week. The only possible rifle that could compare would be the Springfield M1, which is nowhere near an assault rifle.

    As to preserving the rights of arms, lets be realistic, banning assault rifles is a far cry from taking away the right to bear arms. That is like saying placing limitations on any individual right is taking away all rights. Do I change my position? I do believe if harsher laws were placed on criminals, then no further gun control would be needed, but I also see the point of view of the police, for instance, that do not want to face an AK-47 as they serve a warrant.

  6. #86
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    152,188

    Re: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    How did you "factually," rebut any of my assertions. All you did was reassert your own points. I will put my Savage tactical against any assault rifle any day of the week. The only possible rifle that could compare would be the Springfield M1, which is nowhere near an assault rifle.

    As to preserving the rights of arms, lets be realistic, banning assault rifles is a far cry from taking away the right to bear arms. That is like saying placing limitations on any individual right is taking away all rights. Do I change my position? I do believe if harsher laws were placed on criminals, then no further gun control would be needed, but I also see the point of view of the police, for instance, that do not want to face an AK-47 as they serve a warrant.
    More stupidity-someone willing to commit the capital crime of shooting a police officer is not going to obey stupid gun laws. Any cop who tells me I cannot be trusted to own the same weapons he is issued should be stripped of his badge and office

    Do you believe that a ban on say the Jewish Faith is not taking away my first amendment rights because I could attend a Methodist CHapel or Orthodox cathederal?
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    Why would you not want to register your weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity View Post
    , as long as you can own one or fewer guns, your right to bear a firearm is not being infringed upon.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    As to preserving the rights of arms, lets be realistic, banning assault rifles is a far cry from taking away the right to bear arms.
    No, it's not. The intent of the Second Amendment is to ensure the people have arms available to them to oppose any effort to impose tyranny the politicians might try to impose with a standing army.

    Therefore the people have to have ready for them the same weapons those troops would use. And that means fully automatic weapons. Otherwise they're going to face fully automatic weapons armed with muzzle-loading squirrel guns, cuz, really that's all ya need to put meat in the pot, right?

  8. #88
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    No, it's not. The intent of the Second Amendment is to ensure the people have arms available to them to oppose any effort to impose tyranny the politicians might try to impose with a standing army.

    Therefore the people have to have ready for them the same weapons those troops would use. And that means fully automatic weapons. Otherwise they're going to face fully automatic weapons armed with muzzle-loading squirrel guns, cuz, really that's all ya need to put meat in the pot, right?

    You guys really, really misunderstand the Founding Fathers. A militia in their eyes was not a neighborhood clan of guys with guns running to fight the tyrants of government. It was the right of each state to have a militia or national guard as the case presently is. By allowing for this provision, the founders built in a security to states rights from the federal government they hesitantly created. But all of the good ol'boys envision the founders thinking of the 80's movie Red Dawn, where average people run to the streets to defeat the Reds!!!!

    Do you have the right to own a tank or a F-16? No, so you will not have equal force with your M16, will you?

  9. #89
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    More stupidity-someone willing to commit the capital crime of shooting a police officer is not going to obey stupid gun laws. Any cop who tells me I cannot be trusted to own the same weapons he is issued should be stripped of his badge and office

    Do you believe that a ban on say the Jewish Faith is not taking away my first amendment rights because I could attend a Methodist CHapel or Orthodox cathederal?

    By your argument then, marijuana should be legal, because it grows in nature like tobacco and may have harmful effects, but it is still there and should be used because we may want it over tobacco. To keep it illegal is to take away rights. Right?

  10. #90
    User EricLawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    03-09-09 @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6

    Re: Do you support a new ban on 'assault weapons'?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    By your argument then, marijuana should be legal, because it grows in nature like tobacco and may have harmful effects, but it is still there and should be used because we may want it over tobacco. To keep it illegal is to take away rights. Right?
    ...I think so.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •