View Poll Results: how are family values today compared to yesterday?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • values are higher than before

    2 7.41%
  • values are the same

    9 33.33%
  • values are lower than before

    16 59.26%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 96

Thread: Family Values

  1. #11
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-26-16 @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,258

    Re: Family Values

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    What do you believe have caused family values in america to deteriorate?

    Or perhapse you believe they are the same as always or even better than yesteryear?

    Are americans more selfish making family bonding, marriage and children come second?
    I think that they a somewhat diminished.

    The main causes are in my opinion.

    Government schools- The ability to use the school system as a baby sitter has allowed dual income families and caused the price of goods to rise.

    Mass consumerism- Physical possessions are worth more to people now than education.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #12
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Family Values

    No fault divorce and birth control has done so much good for "family values", it's almost impossible to comprehend there actually being a time when people were forced by the government to be a "family" and raise children against their will.

    Nowadays, people have children and remain together because they actually want to, because they actually love and respect one another. They don't stay together in miserable, unhappy, and toxic relationships any longer. At least most people don't, anyway. There are still some people who think folks should stay miserable together "for the children", but fortunately those people are becoming fewer, and fewer.

    I can think of nothing better and healthy for children than parents that are happy and together because they wish to be, and as such I can think of nothing better for the children of this country than no-fault divorces and birth control.

    "Family values" are fantastic now, they were abhorrent in the past. Or should I say... the government imposed "values" were abhorrent. Thank the gods and goddesses that we have come at least that far in our societal evolution.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,505

    Re: Family Values

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    No fault divorce and birth control has done so much good for "family values", it's almost impossible to comprehend there actually being a time when people were forced by the government to be a "family" and raise children against their will.
    Raise children against their will? You do know that 100 years ago you could give your kids up for adoption right? And it was legal?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Family Values

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    The family values of our society is changing, lowering in my opinion. Things such as divorce is frequent, adultery is frequent, one parent is normal, homosexuals are allowed to stay together, even marry in some cases, homosexuals will soon be able to adopt if the trend continues, people get less and less children, people spend more and more time with work, less and less time with family, children just sit in front of game machines and computers, even when families are with each other they spend much less time together and more and more alone time.. I think its deteriorating.. The good old family of mom/dad +2-4 kids and a good healthy family life, family activities, family pride, family time and so fourth.
    I giggled. You're too much.

  5. #15
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Family Values

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    I giggled. You're too much.
    I giggled a bit myself.. I didn't really mean it that way.. I meant like "officially" allowed to be together, partnership and such recognitions.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Family Values

    The only way I think its gotten worse, is that people who are basically grown adults, act like children well into their late 20s and sometimes well into there 30s. People used to get married at 16 and live out on their own, and now we've got people living in mom and dads house into their late 20s. Young men lied about their age, to join the service, during times of wars that had body counts way higher than what we can barely seem to put up with these days. Women having children at 17 were not uncommon, but they were much more adult than the ones at 17 having the kids now. I really don't know what the cause of this is, but it seems like kids are living with their parents longer and longer. Part of our society is to blame, for treating young adults as though they are children, and not asking them to show any responsibility in their formative younger years. Thus when they are 21, they are not even the equal to the work ethic of a 14 year old of days gone by.

    Birth control is fine, IMO. And being the child of two divorces, I can emphatically state that divorce is used as an excuse by people to blame societies ills on. Divorce is not a good thing, but its better than a spiteful, bitter marriage. I don't think either of these things are really to fault for any supposed erosion of family values. I rather think its tied to my previous prargraph about how we as a society treat our young adults as children well into their years as full adults. We ask nothing of them, in terms of self reliance or responsibility, anymore.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  7. #17
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    06-30-10 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Family Values

    God I loathe the conservative myth of the superior morality of yesterday.

    Segregation, women's domestic enslavement, the entire world with electricity being divided into two camps who were always five minutes away from obliterating each other, etc.

    No, things were not better.

    They're better now because of liberals.

    If we did what conservatives want we'd still be living in caves.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  8. #18
    Educator Grateful Heart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    12-27-09 @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Family Values

    Well, we could go on and on... but I remember one thing very clearly.

    Decades ago my grandmother used to shake her head in disgust and talk about the 'good 'ole days.'

    I suspect that in 1850 people used to talk about the 'good 'ole days.'

    I suspect that in 1500 people used to talk about the 'good 'ole days.'

    I have no doubt that people in every culture throughout time have talked about the 'good 'ole days.'

    Nothing new here.


  9. #19
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    shocked2 Re: Family Values

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    The only way I think its gotten worse, is that people who are basically grown adults, act like children well into their late 20s and sometimes well into there 30s. People used to get married at 16 and live out on their own, and now we've got people living in mom and dads house into their late 20s. Young men lied about their age, to join the service, during times of wars that had body counts way higher than what we can barely seem to put up with these days. Women having children at 17 were not uncommon, but they were much more adult than the ones at 17 having the kids now. I really don't know what the cause of this is, but it seems like kids are living with their parents longer and longer. Part of our society is to blame, for treating young adults as though they are children, and not asking them to show any responsibility in their formative younger years. Thus when they are 21, they are not even the equal to the work ethic of a 14 year old of days gone by.
    Its interesting in Europe how this varies a lot. In a lot of countries what you say is true(the latin countries especially). In Scandinavia its quite different, kids flee when they are 18 and allowed so, or before if the parents allow them, which they mostly do... For me its sad to imagine those 30 year old guys in Italy who lives with their parents while I moved out when I was 18 and have been around exploring the world and working in handfuls of different nations(in Europe), all before the age of 25.

    Quite tragic to imagine living with your parents until that age, even 25 it would be tragic. No offense meant to anyone who actually did or do that. But get the **** out of your parents houses.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Family Values

    Quote Originally Posted by Grateful Heart View Post
    Well, we could go on and on... but I remember one thing very clearly.

    Decades ago my grandmother used to shake her head in disgust and talk about the 'good 'ole days.'

    I suspect that in 1850 people used to talk about the 'good 'ole days.'

    I suspect that in 1500 people used to talk about the 'good 'ole days.'

    I have no doubt that people in every culture throughout time have talked about the 'good 'ole days.'

    Nothing new here.

    I always wanted to be that crotchety old man next door. You know, the one with the high fence, and the kids basically feared for their life whenever their ball or frisbee flew over to the other side, requiring the bravest of them conduct a spec-ops mission to retrieve the item.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •