View Poll Results: Does the GOP want bipartisanship (READ INTRO)?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 9.52%
  • No

    19 90.48%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

  1. #1
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

    The Congressional Democrats, especially the House (oh my god Nancy Pelosi) really annoy me, and I feel like they want to push their agenda. The GOP's annoy me equally because they seem like they want their way as well by blocking everything the Dems want. It looks like a deadlock to me.

    From what it seems, President Obama promotes bipartisanship more than either party does. I've heard people like Sen. McCain and other leading GOP's saying they would like to work with the President and find a common goal.

    However, one of the most partisan things I've seen is this "Weekly Republican Response." Why do Reps want to have a party response like this, as if the whole world is against them?

    I think its an attempt by bitter GOP's to get back at their loss of seats in the House and Senate. Its such a huge move away from bipartisanship.

    What do you think?

    MAIN QUESTION: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?


  2. #2
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    09-12-16 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

    McCain is the biggest sore loser, especially since he claims to be good at reaching across the aisle....
    If they won't help to move the nation forward, at least they should get out of the way.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,942

    Re: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

    I don't think either side really wants "True" bipartisanship.

    Obama doesn't want "bipartisanship", he wants his agenda to be pushed and Republicans to go "Yes sir, we agree with you".

    You condemn the republicans for their response to Obama after Obama's speech, but where were you criticizing Obama during his press conference about the Stimulus where he lambasted republicans, republican ideology, and basically told them to ****ing bad, this is happening my way and that's the only way.

    Bipartisanship, as its used in politics today, is a bull**** word. For those in the minority, its getting enough of the majority party to vote for your bill so that you can actually get it passed. For the majority party, its getting a few token people from the other side to agree to sign on while giving up nearly no consessions to get them to.

    Neither side really wants bipartisanship, because to truly have it in its honest true sense would require a great amount of compromise of both sides position, giving us legislation basically neither side really wants.

    Here's the issue republicans generally run in to with bipartisanship. Lets say that the economic stimulus balooned to 1.5T under what the democrats wanted. Now lets say the republicans could get that number down to 1.2T if they agreed to vote for it.

    On the plus side, they removed .3 trillion from the bill.

    On the negative side, they're completely abandoning their principles and turning their back on their entire constituency by voting for and essentially saying "I agree with this" to a 1.3T dollar spending bill.

    Its the same thing that always screws the republicans with the minimum wage.

    Year 1 - currently no minimum wage
    Republican stance: There should be no minimum wage.
    Democrat Stance: We think we should have a $8 minimum wage. You republicans don't want to be seens as heartless obsturctionists do you. Lets be "bipartisan" and "compromise" and say a $4.50 minimum wage.


    Year 2 - Currently $4.50 minum wage.
    Republican stance: There should be no minimum wage.
    Democrat Stance: We think we should have a $9 minimum wage. You republicans don't want to be seens as heartless obsturctionists do you. Lets be "bipartisan" and "compromise" and say a $6.75 minimum wage.

    Year 3 - Currently $6.75 minum wage.
    Republican stance: There should be no minimum wage.
    Democrat Stance: We think we should have a $12 minimum wage. You republicans don't want to be seens as heartless obsturctionists do you. Lets be "bipartisan" and "compromise" and say a $9 minimum wage.

    And onwards it goes. Yay for "bipartisanship", only issue is, each and every time what is really happening is Democrats getting a little of what they want with republicans AGREEING and being part of the movement FARTHER away from what they want.

    That's the issue with the notion of "bipartisanship", it doesn't always work because often that "compromise" you have to make is agreeing to do something completely against your principles and the reason your constituents voted you into office in exchange for possibly getting the legislation not to be AS bad. And what happens come election time? The base gets upset because the politicians they voted in sold them out.
    You down with TPP?

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,942

    Re: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    McCain is the biggest sore loser, especially since he claims to be good at reaching across the aisle....
    If they won't help to move the nation forward, at least they should get out of the way.
    Last I checked, this is not a dictatorship. Last I checked, we still have multiple branches of government that are democratically elected. Last I checked, those that get voted into power should be representing their constituents.

    I won't speak for McCain, because I did not vote for him into his senate seat. Sadly, I don't have anyone in my state to speak for me in the Senate. But in the house I cast the last vote I got to make in my old district for Bob Goodlatte, a Republican, and I'll be damned if he won't hear from me and hopefully the rest of us from my old county that voted him in if he desides to "get out of the way" or chooses to stab us all in the back by helping the nation "Move forward" in the way that Obama seems to be pushing it.

    I vote for republican representitives because I want them to fight and stand firm on the ideals that I think are best for this country. I don't vote for them so they can get to DC and give extra votes to democrat proposals that I don't agree with, don't like, and don't think will be good for this country.

    What you say they should do is the entire antithesis of what our governmental body should be doing.
    You down with TPP?

  5. #5
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Last I checked, this is not a dictatorship. Last I checked, we still have multiple branches of government that are democratically elected. Last I checked, those that get voted into power should be representing their constituents.

    I won't speak for McCain, because I did not vote for him into his senate seat. Sadly, I don't have anyone in my state to speak for me in the Senate. But in the house I cast the last vote I got to make in my old district for Bob Goodlatte, a Republican, and I'll be damned if he won't hear from me and hopefully the rest of us from my old county that voted him in if he desides to "get out of the way" or chooses to stab us all in the back by helping the nation "Move forward" in the way that Obama seems to be pushing it.

    I vote for republican representitives because I want them to fight and stand firm on the ideals that I think are best for this country. I don't vote for them so they can get to DC and give extra votes to democrat proposals that I don't agree with, don't like, and don't think will be good for this country.

    I think what he means is that since Reps are block what is right at the the current time, they should stop.

    I agree with you in that neither "side" wants bipartisanship, but Obama does. He knows what is right, and the current GOP's don't.


    What you say they should do is the entire antithesis of what our governmental body should be doing.
    I'm glad you vote for Republican representatives, I think you should always do that to support your beliefs. You should vote for what you think is right, but unfortunately, most of the current Reps are not doing what is right.

    I also agree that the gov't should be working together, but right now most of the GOP's are stalling for time (for whatever reason); they're hindering progress. I'm sure the Reps will contribute better ideals later on, but right now they're just dead weight. If certain people are hindering progress, they should get out of the way.
    Last edited by Cilogy; 02-27-09 at 05:47 PM.


  6. #6
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    09-12-16 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Last I checked, this is not a dictatorship. Last I checked, we still have multiple branches of government that are democratically elected. Last I checked, those that get voted into power should be representing their constituents.

    I won't speak for McCain, because I did not vote for him into his senate seat. Sadly, I don't have anyone in my state to speak for me in the Senate. But in the house I cast the last vote I got to make in my old district for Bob Goodlatte, a Republican, and I'll be damned if he won't hear from me and hopefully the rest of us from my old county that voted him in if he desides to "get out of the way" or chooses to stab us all in the back by helping the nation "Move forward" in the way that Obama seems to be pushing it.

    I vote for republican representitives because I want them to fight and stand firm on the ideals that I think are best for this country. I don't vote for them so they can get to DC and give extra votes to democrat proposals that I don't agree with, don't like, and don't think will be good for this country.

    What you say they should do is the entire antithesis of what our governmental body should be doing.
    No, I said move forward, and some of them want to stop all movement until they get to decide where forward is. Meantime, there is no movement.
    We may not know what the perfect direction is that defines forward, but we can come close this year and fine tune next year. Waiting til we know the perfect direction is not moving forward....it is an excuse for maintaining the status quo which we already know is not working...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #7
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

    What the hell does Bipartisanship even mean?
    Two parties acting as one? What's the difference if their ideologies don't match up? Even if we demolished both parties and formed one giant pool, we would still have the same arguments and conflicts as we do now it would just be [Insert Region] [Insert Party name]. During the initial break up of the Democratic Solid South, you had Southern Democrats/Dixiecrats, and you had Democrats.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  8. #8
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    What the hell does Bipartisanship even mean?
    Two parties acting as one? What's the difference if their ideologies don't match up? Even if we demolished both parties and formed one giant pool, we would still have the same arguments and conflicts as we do now it would just be [Insert Region] [Insert Party name]. During the initial break up of the Democratic Solid South, you had Southern Democrats/Dixiecrats, and you had Democrats.
    No, bipartisanship is basically support for a common legislation/act/policy by both parties, not acting as one party.


  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,942

    Re: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    I agree with you in that neither "side" wants bipartisanship, but Obama does. He knows what is right, and the current GOP's don't.
    I disagree, and I hope the republicans CONTINUE to disagree.

    I do not believe Obama is right about this stimulus.

    I do not believe Obama is right about re instituting the AWB.

    I do not believe he's right about universal health care.

    And if this trend continues I imagine I won't think Obama is right for many other things too.

    And those things I don't believe he's right about and things I think are bad for this country I will push for and demand that the people in office that are there representing me do everything in their power to let him and others know that we do not like nor want this and think he is absolutely wrong.

    You BELIEVE that Obama is correct, which isn't surprising because you claim to be very liberal. I however, don't believe that to be the case.

    But he's shown no sign that he's for Bipartisanship anymore than the republicans have. His press conference speech about the Stimulus package was as blasting of Republicans as the republican rebuttle was to democrats, yet you did not comment on that.

    I'm sure the Reps will contribute better ideals later on, but right now they're just dead weight. If certain people are hindering progress, they should get out of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    No, I said move forward, and some of them want to stop all movement until they get to decide where forward is. Meantime, there is no movement.
    We may not know what the perfect direction is that defines forward, but we can come close this year and fine tune next year. Waiting til we know the perfect direction is not moving forward....it is an excuse for maintaining the status quo which we already know is not working...
    NO, they should not get out of the way. Stalling progress when the "progress" is something absolutely against the ideals that got these people voted into office and is "progress" that their constituents do not want and they together feel is going to be more harmful than good is CORRECT.

    Doing something for the sake of doing something is not always good. If Obama's plan was to say "I'm signing the country over to China", should the republicans get out of the way? I mean, he's DOING something right? That's progress of some kind right?

    If the representatives in government feel that doing something, primarily doing a specific something, is actually worse than doing nothing than I agree completely with them attempting to block it. If their constituents feel that doing this specific something is worse than doing nothing, they owe it to those constituents to block it.

    Absolutely not, the republicans should not just be quiet or sign on simply because they're in the minority and because the majority wants to do something. They should stand up and speak for the people they're supposed to be representing.
    You down with TPP?

  10. #10
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,184

    Re: Does the GOP want bipartisanship?

    I think this whole whining about partisanship is a load of crap. If you elect a politician to office because you agree with his views the most why the **** on earth do you want him to work with people whose views you do not agree with on issues that you do not agree with on the other side with? If senator dickhead was elected to office as a anti-illegal immigration republican and senator ****nut was elected to office as a anti-illegal immigration democrat then fine they should work together on a anti-illegal immigration issue. If however Senator ****nut was elected because he is for socialized medicine and senator Dickhead was elected because he opposed socialized medicine then the side that is for it should do everything they can to pass it and the side that is against it should do everything they can to oppose it. Because if they worked together on every issue in a bipartisan manner then what the hell is the point in electing someone based on political and personal issues?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •