View Poll Results: Which of these pictures are Racist?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picture A

    14 23.73%
  • Picture B

    0 0%
  • Neither

    46 77.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 283

Thread: Racist or not Racist.

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    So first you resort to personal attacks even though there was no provocation towards you and then you go on a rant that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Bravo!
    I'd say that is the kind of post everyone should report.

  2. #72
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    However, I think your analogy might work a little better if there were an equally offensive word for a white person as "nigger." Racist labels tend to sting more when applied to groups that have been significantly oppressed.

    On another note, it's easy for me to claim that "cracker" is innocuous because I am at the business end of the ephitet. I can decide for myself that when you call me a cracker, I don't feel hurt in the least. I've noticed that people decide all too often when racism is a thing of the past when they're not the ethnic group in question.
    I don't get offended if anyone calls me anything. Whether it is about race or small penis size or my inate stupidity or whatever.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I don't get offended if anyone calls me anything. Whether it is about race or small penis size or my inate stupidity or whatever.
    That's because you are an adult who knows that turning on the waterworks over every perceived slight is not going to help you or anyone else.

    Unfortunately, a lot of people never grow up.

  4. #74
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Black people have frequently been compared to monkeys in a derogatory manner, while white people have not. Asking us to judge the two examples to be equal is expecting us to forget, you know, history.
    It's all about context. If you are saying that a monkey could do the persons job, or a better job than said person, you are making the distinction that that person is an idiot, or that someone is behaving like a monkey, in other words unruly, I am half spanish, half european other and characterized as caucasian and was called out for "acting like a monkey" all the time by my grandparents, should I take that as a racist statement?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I am half spanish, half european other and characterized as caucasian and was called out for "acting like a monkey" all the time by my grandparents, should I take that as a racist statement?
    So are you of the porch monkey or the yard ape family?

  6. #76
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    There is a segment of our society who will never move on because they cannot market their ideas to any sensible body of listeners and so they need the racism crutch to shout down and vilify their opponents. They'll never let it go until it stops working for them which is why I, as one lone person, simply refuse to acknowledge their idiocy any longer.

    I wish the rest of the country would do the same.
    I'm with you.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #77
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    So are you of the porch monkey or the yard ape family?
    Probably more along the baboon category or even howler variety, I was an energetic little ****.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #78
    Yuuuuge

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,101

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I don't get offended if anyone calls me anything. Whether it is about race or small penis size or my inate stupidity or whatever.
    Neither do I, actually. I'm Jewish (sort of white, sort of...not, I dunno, it's confusing), and it takes a lot more than words to really offend me. More like words spoken by hundreds of people in German outside my window at night. Yeah, that would probably do the trick.

    But that's kind of the point, also. I'm not only nowhere close to being in any danger of that, there's no one I come into contact with who harbors any ill will or contempt towards me (except for in "Deliverance" country, of course, but who wants to go there). It's easy to claim to not be offended if insults have no weight behind them. There is no institutionalized racism (overt or covert) for either of us to deal with, so how can you say for sure?
    Last edited by Cardinal; 02-24-09 at 04:41 PM.

  9. #79
    Yuuuuge

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,101

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's all about context. If you are saying that a monkey could do the persons job, or a better job than said person, you are making the distinction that that person is an idiot, or that someone is behaving like a monkey, in other words unruly, I am half spanish, half european other and characterized as caucasian and was called out for "acting like a monkey" all the time by my grandparents, should I take that as a racist statement?
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1057937922 (Racist or not Racist.)

    (first paragraph).

  10. #80
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Neither do I, actually. I'm Jewish (sort of white, sort of...not, I dunno, it's confusing), and it takes a lot more than words to really offend me. More like words spoken by hundreds of people in German outside my window at night. Yeah, that would probably do the trick.
    Yeah, the Jewish faith has historically taken alot of crap over the millennia, but good point, armed racism is definitely different than the plain variety.

    But that's kind of the point, also. I'm not only nowhere close to being in any danger of that, there's no one I come into contact with who harbors any ill will or contempt towards me (except for in "Deliverance" country, of course, who wants to be there).
    I'm surrounded by swamp, well, technically outside of the city I live in and haven't seen it, doesn't mean the whole back area doesn't harbor something, but being X faith or Y race isn't really that bad in the south, most racism here is overt, so at least a person knows where they stand.
    It's easy to claim to not be offended if insults have no weight behind them. There is no institutionalized racism (overt or covert) for either of us to deal with, so how can you say for sure?
    I think there is some covert racism out there, whether it is subconscious or known to the practicioner, it's hard to tell in the P.C. age what percentages there are because just about everything is considered racist these days. If someone hates me because of my race, sex, religion, etc. I don't have a problem with it, just put it on the table so that I know what I am dealing with.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •