View Poll Results: Which of these pictures are Racist?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picture A

    14 23.73%
  • Picture B

    0 0%
  • Neither

    46 77.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 283

Thread: Racist or not Racist.

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Comparing a black man to a monkey is racist. Its racist because for 200 years that has been a racist comparison. Just because someone did so and were called out about it does not constitute some muzzling of white people, and thus persecution of whites. So quit whining.
    If it's ok to portray white politicians as monkeys then it's ok to portray black politicians the very same way.

    YOU KNOW WHAT? They can freaking handle it. Give 'em some credit. If someone calls Bush a monkey and then someone else calls Obama a monkey and Obama's feelings somehow get more hurt than Bush's did that's on Obama. The fact of the matter is it is tasteless to call anyone a monkey. But it isn't worse to do it to Obama. He's not a special sensitive person who needs to fear whitey. Obama owns this country for Christ's sake. You think he gives a crap about a monkey picture?

    I went to some class on racism as part of training for a volunteer shelter job. Anywayz one of the things they pushed was that there is no such thing as reverse racism. I thought that was a load of CRAP. But they'd accept no disagreement. They INSISTED racism can only exist when someone of power devalues someone weaker.

    OBAMA IS THE MOST POWERFUL MAN IN THE WORLD.

    According to all the sensitive let me teach you about racism whackos it is now IMPOSSIBLE for anything anyone does to Obama to be considered racist because Obama is the man with the power.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    So by that argument, the following statement is not racist:

    "Black people are all lazy!"

    Because by your reasoning, if you are black yet not lazy, the statement cannot be racist because it doesn't apply to you.
    False analogy. If you go screaming "black people (or chinese people, or mexican people) are ___________" you are directing that at the whole race.

    Comparing a lone man, in this case Obama, to something is not attacking the whole race.

  3. #33
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    It depends on the context. In the right context comparing Obama to a monkey can definitely be construed as racist. I don't know why some people think that because we have a black President that somehow racism doesn't exist anymore.

    That being said, I fail to understand (just as I did in Rev's other thread) how a comparison that could be racist in the proper context is comparable to the Bush=chimp thing. I can't imagine any context in which that could be construed as racist because I've honestly never heard someone try to use chimps as a racist tool against white people. I have heard people use them as a racist tool against black people. So my question is this: what does one have to do with the other aside from the fact that chimps are involved?

  4. #34
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Has blacks really been referred to as monkeys?? Throughout the last 200 years in the US?

    To tell the truth, I never really heard of that, in my lifetime or in history.

    Blacks have been called many things that degrade them. Such as "boy", emasculate and condescending. But I've never really heard of them referred to as monkeys or gorillas
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  5. #35
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,026

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post

    If we stop doing things to Obama that we might do to Bush, simply because Obama is black, then we are actually engaging in racism AGAINST blacks..



    + one hundered billion dollars.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    It depends on the context. In the right context comparing Obama to a monkey can definitely be construed as racist. I don't know why some people think that because we have a black President that somehow racism doesn't exist anymore.

    That being said, I fail to understand (just as I did in Rev's other thread) how a comparison that could be racist in the proper context is comparable to the Bush=chimp thing. I can't imagine any context in which that could be construed as racist because I've honestly never heard someone try to use chimps as a racist tool against white people. I have heard people use them as a racist tool against black people. So my question is this: what does one have to do with the other aside from the fact that chimps are involved?
    I don't think it really has to do with much of anything except the fact that society is getting fed up with being told that certain things are "off limits" because of a 200 year old grudge that no person alive today had anything to do with as an aggressor or a victim.

  7. #37
    Yuuuuge

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,101

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I don't know about that. I called Bush a chimp because he actually looked like one. Those pics speak for themselves. Dude looks like a chimp.
    Agreed, but there is a difference between assigning a comparison that is situational and one that is uniformly assigned to an entire group based on their race. In one case, a person must actually do something to attain comparison of a monkey or really, really look like one. In the the other case, all a person has to do is belong to a genetic group and bam! The monkey comparison is used. Why else would the monkey picture even be used in proximity to the picture of Obama? It's not like he looks or acts like one. I mean, if you're going to start using a picture of an animal, why not a lemur, or a koala bear, or a giraffe? They make about as much sense. But no, it's always...the monkey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I say cracker and honky a lot because I think it's funny.

    And I understand why people think it's racist, but I think that the themselves are ignoring the fact that intent is of primacy in racism.

    If I call Patrick Ewing a gorilla lookin' dude, it's not because he's black, it's because he actually does look kind of like a gorilla. If I say Bush looks like a chimp, it's because the dude looks like a chimp.

    Not being racist, I make these observations independent of race.

    The fact that other people do something for nefarious reasons doesn't change the reasons why I do something.

    If we stop doing things to Obama that we might do to Bush, simply because Obama is black, then we are actually engaging in racism AGAINST blacks.

    If I choose to change my behavior because of the person's race, then I'm arbitrarily denying them something I would give a white person.

    This is just as true with negative things as it is of positive things.

    Applying racism in this context presumes the motivations for the chimp comparisons are different for the black president than they were for the white president, which may or may not be true.

    Simply labelling it as racism BEFORE one understands the motivations, is in fact racist because it is denying the black man something based on race and race alone. Even if the thing being denied is in fact a negative thing, the motivations behind the denial of this thing being the arbitrary racial characteristics means that it is still racist.
    I agree with everything you say here. Your comments and jokes are technically racist, but there's no bite to them. I'm not getting a vibe of meanness or ill will toward the race in question. Others here? Well, I dunno, I'm getting something else from them. But believe it or not, despite the position I've taken in this thread, I don't actually spend my days being freaked out at the merest glimpse of racism.

  8. #38
    Yuuuuge

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,101

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Except that you were...
    And you were thinking of enslaving all black people.

    Reading each other's minds is fun!

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Has blacks really been referred to as monkeys?? Throughout the last 200 years in the US?

    To tell the truth, I never really heard of that, in my lifetime or in history.

    Blacks have been called many things that degrade them. Such as "boy", emasculate and condescending. But I've never really heard of them referred to as monkeys or gorillas
    Porch monkeys and yard apes.

    But I have also heard children in general referred to in that way all my life. So again it comes back to hypersensitive PC goons running amok.

    When my grandmother and mother called us yard apes and porch monkeys, never in my life did I think she was being racist. Neither did any of my black friends.

    Agist maybe, but never racist.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And you were thinking of enslaving all black people.

    Reading each other's minds is fun!
    Troll much?

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •