View Poll Results: Which of these pictures are Racist?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picture A

    14 23.73%
  • Picture B

    0 0%
  • Neither

    46 77.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 283

Thread: Racist or not Racist.

  1. #231
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,689

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    Well considering that all humans are related to Chimps, I do not see how you can openly say how that is racist. We are going to look like apes, because guess what, they are our distant relatives.

    If you think this is racist then you will probably not understand this cartoon, and probably take it opposite the way it was intended to be taken.

    Historically, black people were compared to chimps, apes, and monkeys. It was a way of reinforcing the belief that they were subhuman. That is where people get the notion that it is racist.

    Do you work with any black people? If so, call them a porch monkey and see what happens.

    And what exactly is the way that you take this cartoon you posted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  2. #232
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-23-09 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Historically, black people were compared to chimps, apes, and monkeys. It was a way of reinforcing the belief that they were subhuman. That is where people get the notion that it is racist.

    Do you work with any black people? If so, call them a porch monkey and see what happens.

    And what exactly is the way that you take this cartoon you posted?
    I am Irish, my people in the first part of the century were compared to black people and monkeys just as the like. Many places in the US were segregated, even while having Irish-American Presidents(James Polk, Andrew Jackson, James Buchanan,etc). Racism is not alright, but this is not racist.



    Save me the sob story, if people are not educated enough to understand the context then they have no right taking offense to it.

    What I meant with that cartoon is the origin of the white house being painted white and being named "white" was the fact that the British continued to burn the damn thing down so we were forced to paint it white.

    Obama painting it black is a satire on the original meaning of why the white house is black and equally so to make fun of people who do not understand that.

    These comparisons of Obama to an ape are satires on human emotion, bringing them down to an ape level. Showing how even the most powerful leader in the nation can look like and act like a monkey. No way is it racist, and you are an misunderstanding the context if you think otherwise.
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live. ~ Ayn Rand
    A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.~ Nietzsche

  3. #233
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,689

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    I am Irish, my people in the first part of the century were compared to black people and monkeys just as the like. Many places in the US were segregated, even while having Irish-American Presidents(James Polk, Andrew Jackson, James Buchanan,etc). Racism is not alright, but this is not racist.

    Portraying a group of people who had no choice in belonging to that group as subhuman certainly is bigotry. Irish isn't a race.

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    Save me the sob story, if people are not educated enough to understand the context then they have no right taking offense to it.
    So less educated people have no right to be offended huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    What I meant with that cartoon is the origin of the white house being painted white and being named "white" was the fact that the British continued to burn the damn thing down so we were forced to paint it white.
    Did you create this cartoon?

    Or is this your interpretation of this cartoon?

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    Obama painting it black is a satire on the original meaning of why the white house is black and equally so to make fun of people who do not understand that.
    Wait, the White House is black?

    The building was originally referred to variously as the "President's Palace", "Presidential Mansion", or "President's House".[12] The earliest evidence of the public calling it the "White House" was recorded in 1811.[13] A legend emerged that during the rebuilding of the structure white paint was applied to mask the burn damage it had suffered, giving the building its namesake hue.[14] The name "Executive Mansion" was used in official contexts until President Theodore Roosevelt established the formal name by having "White House–Washington" engraved on the stationery in 1901.[15][16] The current letterhead wording and arrangement "The White House" with the word "Washington" centered beneath goes back to the administration of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.[16]

    Although it was not built until some years after the presidency of George Washington, it is also speculated that the name of the traditional home of the President of the United States may have derived from Martha Custis Washington's home, White House Plantation in New Kent County, Virginia, where the nation's first President and First Lady had courted in the mid-18th century.[17]
    White House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Now wikipedia isn't the most reliable source, but I doubt anyone is editing this page for nefarious purposes. Maybe you got caught up in the legend. Don't feel bad. It happens to the best of us, regardless of education.

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    These comparisons of Obama to an ape are satires on human emotion, bringing them down to an ape level. Showing how even the most powerful leader in the nation can look like and act like a monkey. No way is it racist, and you are an misunderstanding the context if you think otherwise.
    Perhaps before you lord your great intellect above people here you should figure out if a chimpanzee is an ape or a monkey. Also, isn't history a part of eductation? Or is that only when it's convenient to your argument? It's a "sob story" when it's not helpful to your argument, right?
    Last edited by Thorgasm; 03-06-09 at 10:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  4. #234
    Student thabigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    04-23-09 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    205

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Apes and monkeys are both primates, and are part of the same primate suborder so really I don't understand you need for me to figure out the difference, but in the realm of this argument I do not see the difference.



    Is curious Obama racist? The point of that tshirt was to show how Obama is the second least qualified person to ever become president, if you take into account how long they served in senate/congress/governor. It is not meant to be taken as a racial issue, that somehow Obama looks like Curious George, but he is acting like Curious George.

    Also, yes less educated people have the right to be offended, but no way does that justify it being offensive. Obama is running for public office, these pictures of him being compared to monkeys obviously did not hurt his campaign.

    Obama realizes what they are, and takes them as they are, people look like monkeys/apes and cartoonist/newspapers/anybody has the right to make fun of him whole heartily about this.

    I detract, after a quick look at snopes it seems you were partly right, it seems the white name was from the white wash finish given to it to keep it from deteriorating. Regardless of that information, what I said doesn't change much.
    The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live. ~ Ayn Rand
    A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.~ Nietzsche

  5. #235
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    Apes and monkeys are both primates, and are part of the same primate suborder so really I don't understand you need for me to figure out the difference, but in the realm of this argument I do not see the difference.



    Is curious Obama racist? The point of that tshirt was to show how Obama is the second least qualified person to ever become president, if you take into account how long they served in senate/congress/governor. It is not meant to be taken as a racial issue, that somehow Obama looks like Curious George, but he is acting like Curious George.

    Also, yes less educated people have the right to be offended, but no way does that justify it being offensive. Obama is running for public office, these pictures of him being compared to monkeys obviously did not hurt his campaign.

    Obama realizes what they are, and takes them as they are, people look like monkeys/apes and cartoonist/newspapers/anybody has the right to make fun of him whole heartily about this.

    I detract, after a quick look at snopes it seems you were partly right, it seems the white name was from the white wash finish given to it to keep it from deteriorating. Regardless of that information, what I said doesn't change much.
    You are basing your assertions on your own interpretation of the context and intent. Do you think it would be racist if the intent was to demean and insult based on his race?

  6. #236
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,004

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    It is funny seeing the same people who say that obama's statment that his grandmothers racism was "typical of white people" is not racist, is arguing that these things here are racist.


    Just sayin.....


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  7. #237
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by thabigred View Post
    I look just like the one on the right, actually.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #238
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    It is funny seeing the same people who say that obama's statment that his grandmothers racism was "typical of white people" is not racist, is arguing that these things here are racist.


    Just sayin.....
    I didn't take that comment to be racist because I don't think he meant it in an insulting and derogatory way. During that generation most white people were racist. So that behavior was typical of white people. Just as one can't simply look at a picture and deem it racist without knowing the context or intent. They are quite important in determining whether something is truly racist or not.

  9. #239
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,004

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvinoise View Post
    I didn't take that comment to be racist because I don't think he meant it in an insulting and derogatory way. During that generation most white people were racist. So that behavior was typical of white people. Just as one can't simply look at a picture and deem it racist without knowing the context or intent. They are quite important in determining whether something is truly racist or not.



    Wrong. He did not say people of his grandmothers generation were racist, he said "white people",

    That includes me.


    It was present tense.


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  10. #240
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Wrong. He did not say people of his grandmothers generation were racist, he said "white people",

    That includes me.


    It was present tense.
    Well, that's your interpretation. I interpreted it differently. And even if he were speaking in the present tense that sounds like he's judging on stereotypes rather than being racist. Again, I don't think he meant what he said in a derogatory or insulting way. However, like I said, that's my interpretation. Obviously you have a different one.

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •