View Poll Results: Which of these pictures are Racist?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Picture A

    14 23.73%
  • Picture B

    0 0%
  • Neither

    46 77.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 283

Thread: Racist or not Racist.

  1. #101
    User Tagged N.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fly Over Country
    Last Seen
    10-29-09 @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    53

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Racism is not finished and Obama being elected does not erase the fact that black folks are still discriminated against.

    The past should never be forgotten either. It will never be over because it is always there.
    This is an excellent point.

    The fact that affirmative action coughed up a president, sufficiently devoid of accomplishment as to leave no doubt to the method of his ascension, has no effect on the usefulness of any form of rhetoric. The race card remains firmly intact.

    However.

    It seems a leap worthy of an Olympic Gymnast is necessary to miss the metaphor with the original cartoon. If the stimulus package were the monkey and he were "put down" by those charged with serving and protecting the electorate, or the economy, it wouldn't be racist at all. It would simply be in contradiction to the stated objectives of the administration. Something a watch dog media might print.

    In this instance the race card is the Obama administrations' "bad dog! no bone!" to the watchdog media.
    In politics the middle way is none at all.
    John Adams

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    Neither is racist, nor funny for that matter. However, the first picture - and practically any comparison of Obama with a monkey - is something much more complicated and absurd: A comparison for the sake of hoping someone will claim it to be racist, so that the provider of the picture can assure the accuser that it is not, and in fact he or she is the one who is racist. It's a very silly game. Perhaps it is not racist, but it is, intrinsically, much more concerned with race than the Bush comparison, which is not nearly so convoluted (bush r dumb and monkeys r dumb lol).
    Obama r silly and monkeys r silly.

  3. #103
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-18-12 @ 10:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    I am sick of people playing "Dumb" and acting as if they do not know what is up with this or WHY it is offensive! Cut the crap!

  4. #104
    Advisor SWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    If love was cow blood, I'd be a slaugterhouse.
    Last Seen
    01-20-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    310

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Obama r silly and monkeys r silly.
    No one could make the comparison without being aware of the racial implications. I suppose it is possible that someone could compare the two knowing that, and yet not have a motive or prepared counter for the viewers who will inevitably decry it. Simple innocent presidential ridicule. I'll believe it when I see it. It certainly was not the goal of this thread.

  5. #105
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I am sick of people playing "Dumb" and acting as if they do not know what is up with this or WHY it is offensive! Cut the crap!
    Oh, we know why it's offensive to racists. We just don't care if racists are offended. Why should we? They need to get over themselves, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    No one could make the comparison without being aware of the racial implications. I suppose it is possible that someone could compare the two knowing that, and yet not have a motive or prepared counter for the viewers who will inevitably decry it. Simple innocent presidential ridicule. I'll believe it when I see it. It certainly was not the goal of this thread.
    You just saw it. It is not the fault of the OP that there are several folks here with racist glasses on who insist on seeing something that isn't there.

    They compared Bush to a chimp all the time. They can compare Obama to one too. What's good for one, is just as good for the other. NO ONE should feel the need to play with kids gloves just because of the color of our president's skin. THAT would be ****ing racist, and I for one am glad that there are some journalists out there that are NOT racist.

    What is sad is that there are people here and elsewhere who think that Obama should be treated differently because of the color of this skin. That he should be treated better because of the color of his skin. i.e., racists.

  6. #106
    Advisor SWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    If love was cow blood, I'd be a slaugterhouse.
    Last Seen
    01-20-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    310

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    You didn't read my post on the previous page, or you didn't understand it, but I'll reiterate my point here for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    You just saw it. It is not the fault of the OP that there are several folks here with racist glasses on who insist on seeing something that isn't there.
    What I saw was a dare, not ridicule. Really, it has little to do with Obama at all. The OP presented it a weird way; typically you would post the Obama comparison, wait for someone to accuse yourself of racism, and then post the Bush comparison, thereby daring the accuser to continue their hypocritical pursuit. Regardless, the goal is the same. I know the OP isn't racist, what he and yourself want is for me to think he's racist. It's a game. It's not racist, it's childish.

    They compared Bush to a chimp all the time. They can compare Obama to one too. What's good for one, is just as good for the other.
    Of course they can. You wouldn't hear my suggest me otherwise, and you haven't.

    NO ONE should feel the need to play with kids gloves just because of the color of our president's skin. THAT would be ****ing racist, and I for one am glad that there are some journalists out there that are NOT racist.
    I'm sure you're aware of this, but pictures of monkeys and presidents grouped together don't typically come from journalists. At least, not any journalists I know of, and not any that are worth paying any attention to. They come from chain e-mails, fringe websites, messageboards. This has nothing to do with journalism.

    What is sad is that there are people here and elsewhere who think that Obama should be treated differently because of the color of this skin. That he should be treated better because of the color of his skin. i.e., racists.
    That is sad. You'll have find a different strawman, however.
    Last edited by SWM; 03-01-09 at 02:45 PM.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Oh, we know why it's offensive to racists. We just don't care if racists are offended. Why should we? They need to get over themselves, IMO.


    You just saw it. It is not the fault of the OP that there are several folks here with racist glasses on who insist on seeing something that isn't there.

    They compared Bush to a chimp all the time. They can compare Obama to one too. What's good for one, is just as good for the other. NO ONE should feel the need to play with kids gloves just because of the color of our president's skin. THAT would be ****ing racist, and I for one am glad that there are some journalists out there that are NOT racist.

    What is sad is that there are people here and elsewhere who think that Obama should be treated differently because of the color of this skin. That he should be treated better because of the color of his skin. i.e., racists.
    This deserved more than just a thanks.


  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 07:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    What I saw was a dare, not ridicule. Really, it has little to do with Obama at all. The OP presented it a weird way; typically you would post the Obama comparison, wait for someone to accuse yourself of racism, and then post the Bush comparison, thereby daring the accuser to continue their hypocritical pursuit. Regardless, the goal is the same. I know the OP isn't racist, what he and yourself want is for me to think he's racist. It's a game. It's not racist, it's childish.
    No, what is childish is that real racists who see monkeys and think "black man" try to project their racism on our discourse and then hypocritcally claim some kind of high ground when those of us who aren't racist refuse to capitulate to their accusations.

    I'm sure you're aware of this, but pictures of monkeys and presidents grouped together don't typically come from journalists. At least, not any journalists I know of, and not any that are worth paying any attention to. They come from chain e-mails, fringe websites, messageboards. This has nothing to do with journalism.
    You are absolutely right so it's a damned goo thing this was not journalism. It's a political cartoon. C-A-R-T-O-O-N.

  9. #109
    Advisor SWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    If love was cow blood, I'd be a slaugterhouse.
    Last Seen
    01-20-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    310

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No, what is childish is that real racists who see monkeys and think "black man" try to project their racism on our discourse and then hypocritcally claim some kind of high ground when those of us who aren't racist refuse to capitulate to their accusations.
    There was a comic a few weeks ago that caused a stir, the one with the monkey being shot by police and the officer making an Obama Admin quip. Some people thought it was racist, incorrectly I thought. Considering the news story of the escaped monkey, I thought it was quite reasonable. I even thought it was kind of funny, at least for the low standards political cartoons uphold. Now, were the inherent racial implications not a consideration for the cartoonist in choosing what to focus his comic on? I find that remarkably difficult to believe, but in truth I don't know, and neither do you.

    You and I won't be able to agree on the motives of other Obama/monkey comparisons elsewhere, more than likely. But in this particular thread, the motive is not even remotely hidden. The title of the thread makes it known that the poster is fully aware of the implications of the comparison. You guys are taking this way over the level of incredulous if you expect me to believe that the OP was not aware of these implications and did not employ them to his advantage; that this thread would still exist without those implications. It's not racist(I feel like I need to repeat this every post in order to not get turned into a strawman), but it is silly. That's my only point.


    You are absolutely right so it's a damned goo thing this was not journalism. It's a political cartoon. C-A-R-T-O-O-N.
    Right. Are you agreeing with me? I don't understand. Rivrrat implied that it was journalism, I disagreed.

    EDIT: Oops, screwed up the quoting thingies.

  10. #110
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    706

    Re: Racist or not Racist.

    Comparing Obama to a monkey is not racist. And history never happened.
    "We may have destroyed this country, but we got rich doing it!" --The GOP
    There is a special place in hell for those who care only about themselves.

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •