View Poll Results: Should you have purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • No (regardless of the right)

    32 96.97%
  • yes(it depends on the right)

    1 3.03%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 100

Thread: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

  1. #51
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    I can understand that. Personally though, I don't mind proving that I am eligible for the right if it helps remove the ability to get easily get gun for those illegal to posses guns.
    YOU not minding your rights being infringed does not create an argument that is is OK to infringe on the rights of everyone else.

    I'll accept that as you agreeing that requiring a license to exercise a 2nd amendment right is an infringement of same.

    The same way I prove I have the right to vote (registering)...
    Registration is pursuant to an inherent part of the right to vote - primarily, the determination of WHERE you shold vote. Voter registration is, therefore not an an infringement.

    With the 2nd amendment it is a infringement on the right if the federal government denies the right.
    Explain how the 14th amendment does not apply the protection of the 2nd to actions taken by the states.

  2. #52
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    What's there to change?
    The part where you said that "the right to bare arms is the only right that you can be legally denied".

    Its BEAR arms, BTW.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,241

    Re: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    I can understand that. Personally though, I don't mind proving that I am eligible for the right if it helps remove the ability to get easily get gun for those illegal to posses guns. The same way I prove I have the right to vote (registering) or enter the country as a citizen when traveling internationally.
    You can play servant to the government all you want. I won't stop you. But I do mind having any of my rights infringed upon and I will not accept government treason against me.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #54
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The part where you said that "the right to bare arms is the only right that you can be legally denied".

    Its BEAR arms, BTW.
    If there are other rights that are legally denied does it change this topic? Is freedom of speech or abortion affected by these other rights that are denied? If not then this tangent is pointless.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  5. #55
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You can play servant to the government all you want. I won't stop you. But I do mind having any of my rights infringed upon and I will not accept government treason against me.
    I don't see it as playing servant. I am telling the government what I want them to do and as citizens we can take that away from them as well.

    Both of you and Goobieman seem to be under the impression I want my ideals to be law. That is not the case. I am merely trying to get a better understanding of both sides. I am not saying my way is right or better. My goal is to somehow stop those who have an intent to do harm from owning guns and this is the only way I can see doing this. I am definitely open to other suggestions.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  6. #56
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    If there are other rights that are legally denied does it change this topic?
    It does when your argument is based on the claim that the ONLY right that is legally denied....

    And thus:
    Its amazing, the double-standard held by most on the left, when dealing with rights.

  7. #57
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    ....My goal is to somehow stop those who have an intent to do harm from owning guns and this is the only way I can see doing this. I am definitely open to other suggestions.
    As noted before:

    Without creating prior restraint?
    You cannot.
    The entire idea that you should be able to infringe on peoples' rights in order to do so, as evidenced by the entire concept of prior restraint, is faulty.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    YOU not minding your rights being infringed does not create an argument that is is OK to infringe on the rights of everyone else.
    Which is one of the great things about living in a Democracy. Law isn't created by an individual.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'll accept that as you agreeing that requiring a license to exercise a 2nd amendment right is an infringement of same.
    By the federal government. Yes.



    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Registration is pursuant to an inherent part of the right to vote - primarily, the determination of WHERE you shold vote. Voter registration is, therefore not an an infringement.
    It also denies the right to vote if you are not eligible for the right (no being of age). Are you accepting of this infringement on the right to vote? You seem to be against this same check of denying people the right to the 2nd amendment.


    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Explain how the 14th amendment does not apply the protection of the 2nd to actions taken by the states.
    I'll get back to you on this. Have to do research, which I don't have time do now.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  9. #59
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    It does when your argument is based on the claim that the ONLY right that is legally denied....

    And thus:
    Its amazing, the double-standard held by most on the left, when dealing with rights.
    Ok sorry. Let me rephrase. "Of the rights; bear arms, free speech, and abortion (though abortion itself is not technically a right stated in the constitution?), bear arms is the only right that is legally denied."

    If you have examples of people being legally denied their right to free speech please let me know and I'll retract the statement.

    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  10. #60
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should you have to purchase insurance to exercise constitutional rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Which is one of the great things about living in a Democracy. Law isn't created by an individual.
    And the great thing about having a Constitution?
    It limits what the majority can do to the rights of the minority.

    By the federal government. Yes.
    Explain how the 14th amendment does not apply the protection of the 2nd to actions taken by the states.

    It also denies the right to vote if you are not eligible for the right (no being of age). Are you accepting of this infringement on the right to vote?
    That's not an infringement of the right to vote, as all the things you're describing are limitations on the right -inherent- to that right.

    You seem to be against this same check of denying people the right to the 2nd amendment.
    Yes... for the reason I have stated three times, each time left unaddressed by you.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •