View Poll Results: On average would straight couples make better parents then a gay couple?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    25 49.02%
  • No

    26 50.98%
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 192

Thread: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

  1. #51
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Methodology. I reviewed the methodology used. It's sound. The biggest complaint from those who reject the conclusions is that there is not enough data.
    I was just noting that others have disagreed with you when reviewing the data.

    I think ultimately there are times when one must get off one's own backside and review the data for himself.



    I have a lot of respect for Christians, also. I defend them, often, in the Religious forum. Perhaps I should have been more clear. Mon-moderate Christians do not support gay marriage and this is mostly for religious reasons.
    I'm not sure that this is relevant though. Most liberals support gay marriage for political/social reasons.

    Every site that has been posted with "data", the data has been spun or misrepresented to fit in with the site's agenda. Further the methodology of the data is flawed, or if they reviewed some positive data, that review was flawed. One must be cognizant of the sites presented for evidence. Presenting a study done by evangelicals on the dangers of abortion is far less valid than presenting a similar study by the AMA. Hence, a study on gay marriage presented by the APA has far more weight than one presented by a pro-Christian organization. One must look at agenda, validity, credentialing, etc... Questioning a source is valid in debate.
    I know all of this. The point is that Christians sites to me are no more generally less valid than liberal ones or for that matter moderators on message boards(). The point is to actually look at these things and not assume and dismiss.

    One can question the source, and one must remember that this is mostly the author(and in this particular case the author seemed to be accredited.) not the site which matters, but dismissing it because it is from a site with a particular viewpoint is not valid. Even official bodies often have agendas, they are far from immune. I don't for instance consider the EUroplot or New Labour as better sources than well-reasoned Christian ones, in fact I'd be more inclined to think the other way.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 02-23-09 at 08:54 PM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,944

    Re: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    I was just noting that others have disagreed with you when reviewing the data.
    Sure. But none of them have refuted it.

    I think ultimately there are times when one must get off one's own backside and review the data for himself.
    I never post a study that I haven't reviewed. I did lots and lots of research into those posts, and if you look at them, I didn't just post the links and quotes. I added personal commentary to each one. When reviewing these studies, I did not post ones whose methodology I questioned, even if the results supported my position.

    I'm not sure that this is relevant though. Most liberals support gay marriage for political/social reasons.
    I never post studies from liberal websites. I either post them from a professional site, from the originating journal's site, or from the author's or another credible, non-biased site. If I find a study from a liberal website, I will try to track down the original. I am quite aware of the bias of sources and try to mitigate this as much as possible.

    I know all of this. The point is that Christians sites to me are no more generally less valid than liberal ones or for that matter moderators on message boards(). The point is to actually look at these things and not assume and dismiss.
    See above. I consider sites, such as liberal, conservative, religious, or atheistic somewhat biased. I prefer to use sites that are either professional, journals, or originating studies.

    One can question the source, and one must remember that this is mostly the author(and in this particular case the author seemed to be accredited.) not the site which matters, but dismissing it because it is from a site with a particular viewpoint is not valid. Even official bodies often have agendas, they are far from immune. I don't for instance consider the EUroplot or New Labour as better sources than well-reasoned Christian ones, in fact I'd be more inclined to think the other way.
    I disagree. Whether professional sites have some bias is not very relevant to me, considering that many of these have peer review and validity standards to adhere to. Well-reasoned Christian sites do not.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #53
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Sure. But none of them have refuted it.
    And you haven't refuted their's to my knowledge.



    I never post a study that I haven't reviewed. I did lots and lots of research into those posts, and if you look at them, I didn't just post the links and quotes. I added personal commentary to each one. When reviewing these studies, I did not post ones whose methodology I questioned, even if the results supported my position.
    I was talking about myself.


    I never post studies from liberal websites. I either post them from a professional site, from the originating journal's site, or from the author's or another credible, non-biased site. If I find a study from a liberal website, I will try to track down the original. I am quite aware of the bias of sources and try to mitigate this as much as possible.
    You posted them though, you are a liberal; "out and proud". These sites are analogous to you not to the data you quote.

    See above. I consider sites, such as liberal, conservative, religious, or atheistic somewhat biased. I prefer to use sites that are either professional, journals, or originating studies.
    Your getting confused. These sites reviewed the data as you did, where they got the data from is what matters.

    See it goes 1.) data ---> you ----> board.

    And

    2.) data ----> these sites ----> me(who is simply quoting them) ----> board.


    I disagree. Whether professional sites have some bias is not very relevant to me, considering that many of these have peer review and validity standards to adhere to. Well-reasoned Christian sites do not.
    Again these sites are reviewing what the professional sites say, as you do. They are the same as you. Unless you submit your review for peer-review then your point is not valid.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  4. #54
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    We put makeup on my nephew. He likes to be done up just like his older sisters. I don't see what the issue is. Are we going to "make him gay" by doing so?


    Oh, he wears pink shirts too.
    Well, you get my point, of separating between the outrageous "gays/gay pride people" and normal people who just happens to be gay.. In my opinion those "gay pride" people just ruins everything for normal people who just happens to be gay. Those people would be the main reason for me objecting to gay people in ANY scenario adopting children.

    Otherwise I would support some gay couples adopting children under extreme circumstances where the other parents just arent fit to take care of them, if for example they are drug addics or something like that, and no straight couple is ready to take on the child.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  5. #55
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,269

    Re: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Think of the children!!!

    Its natural for children to grow up in a man/woman parenting relationship. And lately it has become more and more normal to grow up in a man or woman /semi relationship with parents. That has had some damaging effects...

    Taking away the childrens right to grow up with man/women parents and putting them in the hands of something as unnatural as man/man or woman/woman parenting relationships WILL damage things much more than one parent /semi parentING relations have done.

    Imagine the bitter child who had no choice and grew up with two gay men as parents, just because some liberals wanted to allow gay adoption. Shame.. Shame.. SHAME...


    Think of the children...
    Whenever anyone seriously makes a "think of the children" argument, I know their side is full of **** and hysterical.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #56
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Whenever anyone seriously makes a "think of the children" argument, I know their side is full of **** and hysterical.
    But, but, but...... think of teh childrens!1!!
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,269

    Re: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    But, but, but...... think of teh childrens!1!!
    Exactly. It also makes me think of Rev. Lovejoy's wife.

    YouTube - Children
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #58
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,689

    Re: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    We put makeup on my nephew. He likes to be done up just like his older sisters. I don't see what the issue is. Are we going to "make him gay" by doing so?


    Oh, he wears pink shirts too.
    I think this would be a great discusion to have on another thread. A friend's son wanted a princess birthday cake for his birthday so his grandma bought it for him and it caused a huge argument from everyone on whether it's appropriate to give a child something that isn't sex appropriate. Because according to lots of people it will make him gay but alot don't think so. In fact I am going to start a thread on this topic in the sex forum.



    Now as far as this question "On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?"

    I say no. Being straight does not make you a better parent. Being a good parent makes you a good parent, nothing else.
    Is what you're living for today, worth dying for tomorrow?
    _____________________________________________

  9. #59
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Well, you get my point, of separating between the outrageous "gays/gay pride people" and normal people who just happens to be gay.. In my opinion those "gay pride" people just ruins everything for normal people who just happens to be gay. Those people would be the main reason for me objecting to gay people in ANY scenario adopting children.
    Oh I completely agree. It's like those "Womyn Pride" people. Normal women are fine, but those ones that are outrageously and outspokenly proud of their gender, well... they ruin everything for normal people who just happen to be women. Those people would be the main reason for me objecting to women in ANY scenario adopting children.

    OH! And all of those heterosexual pedophiles too. They completely degrade normal people who just happen to be hetero. I cannot in good conscience agree that heteros should be allowed to adopt due to the presence of those pedophiles lurking in their midst.

    And OMG... Those religious nutjobs. Those people who just go to church and preach and preach and preach. They really give normal religious people a bad name and I think we should certainly ban all religious people from adopting due to their presence as well. I would have to object to any normal religious person adopting in ANY scenario because of those religious fanatics that ruin it for normal people.

    Otherwise I would support some gay couples adopting children under extreme circumstances where the other parents just arent fit to take care of them, if for example they are drug addics or something like that, and no straight couple is ready to take on the child.
    Oh me too! If there aren't any non-heterosexuals or men or non-religious, or non-homosexual parents available, then we should certainly let women, the religious, the heteros, and the homos adopt. Agree. "Normal" heteros, "normal" religious people, "normal" women, and "normal" homos would be a far cry better than some coffee drinking religious female nutjob who is proud of who she is.

  10. #60
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: On average would straight couples make better parents then gay couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes : Why?

    No : Why?
    I would say yes. On average yes.

    I think gay couples would make great parents as well. Straight couples would provide children with perspectives and insight from both a man and a woman.

    But that doesn't necessarily mean the child would be ignorant of these perspectives if they were to have gay parents.


Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •