View Poll Results: Are you a political atheist?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes..

    110 69.62%
  • Maybe.. Just maybe..

    26 16.46%
  • No.

    1 0.63%
  • No. I am a republican.

    4 2.53%
  • No. I am a democrat.

    3 1.90%
  • No. I like ideology.

    1 0.63%
  • No. I am hindered by nationalistic sentiment.

    2 1.27%
  • No. I am a patriot.

    3 1.90%
  • No. For many reasons I am not.

    4 2.53%
  • No. For other reasons I am not(specify).

    4 2.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Are you a political "atheist"?

  1. #11
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: Are you a political "atheist"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    There can be no such thing as political atheism. Because political atheism would mean you'd have no political opinions what so ever. Atheism is an affirmation of non-belief.

    You can not believe in Jesus, not eat porc because of Mohammed's teachings, not eat beef because of something you read in a Hindu scroll, follow the teachings of Buddha and still call yourself an atheist.

    Likewise :

    You can not : support the Democrats regarding welfare, support the Republicans when it comes to national security, be liberal about abortion, be conservative about illegal immigrants and still consider yourself a 'political atheist'.

    It seems to me like the people who are calling themselves 'political atheists' don't seem to understand what an atheist is.
    I think the way he means the term isn't like that. It's more of a viewing every single issue and fact for what it is rather than what one wants it to be. Ironically Max is one of the worst about this. He just doesn't see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,482

    Re: Are you a political "atheist"?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    I think the way he means the term isn't like that. It's more of a viewing every single issue and fact for what it is rather than what one wants it to be. Ironically Max is one of the worst about this. He just doesn't see it.
    Seeing an issue for 'what it is'? And what 'is it'? Can I get an example of political atheism at work? Atheism doesn't make an affirmation that it see's things as they are. That's a realist. You don't even have to be an atheist to be a realist. Atheism just means you don't have any belief. I think the wording is flawed to be honest.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-16-09 at 09:53 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #13
    Tavern Bartender
    #neverhillary
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    68,027

    Re: Are you a political "atheist"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Well, of course, but then again we are talking about political atheist according to the definition above. It is possible if you are open to every view but do not necessarily take anything but reality as facts or "ideology"..

    The only things that somewhat makes me "partial" is that I am born in the west and somewhat under western influence. But I have the ability to overlook western perspectives if they do not fit in the reality.

    Also some would call me "partial" over my support for the European Union(skeptical support), while I say that is exactly because I am a political atheist and just think its a better political process than my own tainted, bias and silly democratic government.

    Some would say I am anti-American, but thats just because they do not understand that I am against strong ideology and that I hate nationalism. If they looked at it in a perspective of "political atheism", they would know that I only want what is best for the US and therefor is naturally pro-US, which is also pretty much a political atheist stand, because the US is one of the best countries in the world, just like the EU is one of the most progressive forms of governance.

    I don't take emotional or instinctive stands on things, I take intellectual and unclouded stands on things. So both when I watch US news or Russian news I do so with utter skepticism, like I always view things. I am mostly also a skeptic, yes, and highly critical of all information I process.
    Uhu, and you're usually wrong anyway. So much for your unclouded intellectualism. You don't know Americans either.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)

  4. #14
    Advisor SWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    If love was cow blood, I'd be a slaugterhouse.
    Last Seen
    01-20-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    310

    Re: Are you a political "atheist"?

    Being what the OP calls a political atheist is much, much easier said than done. We are being asked if we are capable of thinking rationally about political issues. Most people would believe they fit the bill, but - as we can probably all agree - very few do. It must be concluded, then, that most people who think of themselves as political atheists are wrong. Which ones? Why, everyone else, of course.

    We make the assumption that many social and economic issues can be reduced down to quantifiable, individual integers. If (A) is true, then (B) is true. If (A) is not true, (B) is not true. (A)'s true, so easy peasy, problem solved! I wish politics worked like this; I'd be able to liberate my brain from the foggy, ominous mire of ambiguity where most of my abstract thinking seems to wander, held captive by the ruthless overlord that is paranoid skepticism.

    In the world of politics, one man's 'fact' is, at best, questioned zealously by an opposing ideology; at worst it is simply someone's feelings held together with enough dogma and loyalty to appear somewhat concrete from afar (I'm not going to cite specific examples because I don't want to derail the thread). For the most hot-button issues, a little patience and resourcefulness will find you a Panel of Credible Experts that will demonstrate, using copious data and exhausting research, the inexorable truth of whatever opinion you might care to have on the matter.

    That's not to say that it's impossible to make rational decisions, or to get decent information. We simply have to do so with a respectful nod towards the intoxicating power of ideology and the inherent limits of our own human perception. We must be honest with ourselves about the reliability of the sources we get our information from. We try to be constantly aware of those misleading tricks of logic: Appeals to tradition and novelty, majority and minority, establishment and disestablishment; cherry-picking anecdotes and data; the use of ridicule, and vilification, and association; the strawman, that classic favorite...as well as any number of other emotional appeals or logical shortcuts.

    I catch myself all the time...letting my desire for the truth or falsehood of something guide my pursuit and interpretation of information. The best we can do, I think, is to try to be humble enough to acknowledge our instinctive desire for verifying our worldview, and our instinctive fear of cognitive dissonance. These things are a part of the beauty of human nature, but they are not, unfortunately, facilitators of truth.
    Last edited by SWM; 02-16-09 at 11:40 PM.

  5. #15
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Are you a political "atheist"?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    I think the way he means the term isn't like that. It's more of a viewing every single issue and fact for what it is rather than what one wants it to be. Ironically Max is one of the worst about this. He just doesn't see it.
    Truly stupid of me to unshade your post, when I did in advance know it was trash, and I again was totally right.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #16
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Are you a political "atheist"?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Uhu, and you're usually wrong anyway. So much for your unclouded intellectualism. You don't know Americans either.
    You think.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  7. #17
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Are you a political "atheist"?

    Atheism =/= not subscribing to an ideology. It means not believing in a deity. Buddhists are an example of people who are atheists who subscribe to an ideology.

    Webster's:


    Main Entry:
    athe·ism Listen to the pronunciation of atheism
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
    Date:
    1546

    1archaic : ungodliness , wickedness2 a: a disbelief in the existence of deity b: the doctrine that there is no deity

    Clearly this is not about an ideology, but instead about the singular belief in a deity. Many religions do not have deities.

    So the term "Political Atheism" is pure nonsense.



    But let's see if perhaps the term "political agnostic" would be closer.


    Websters:

    Main Entry:
    1ag·nos·tic Listen to the pronunciation of 1agnostic
    Pronunciation:
    \ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    Greek agnōstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnōstos known, from gignōskein to know — more at know
    Date:
    1869

    1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable ; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

    2: a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>
    — ag·nos·ti·cism Listen to the pronunciation of agnosticism \-tə-ˌsi-zəm\ noun
    .

    This doesn't quite fit either. Politics is NOT unknown or unknowable. And nobody is truly unwilling to commit to an opinion about politics. They have opinions, but they might not adhere to a prescribed ideology.

    So political agnostic doesn't fit either.

    I'd venture a guess that "Political Rationalist" is perhaps the best fit for this type of mindset. Again from Webster's:

    Main Entry:
    ra·tio·nal·ism Listen to the pronunciation of rationalism
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈrash-nə-ˌli-zəm, ˈra-shə-nə-ˌli-\
    Function:
    noun
    Date:
    1827

    1: reliance on reason as the basis for establishment of religious truth
    2 a: a theory that reason is in itself a source of knowledge superior to and independent of sense perceptions b: a view that reason and experience rather than the nonrational are the fundamental criteria in the solution of problems.
    ...
    It seems clear that rationalism does not necessarily adhere to any ideology except that reason has primacy over all else.

    When someone does not subscribe to a specific ideology in a blind fashion, without the benefit of reason, one must be construed as a rationalist.

    Thus, I conclude that "Political Atheist" and "Political Agnostic" are terms that make no sense at all. Anyone who would call themselves such, should more accurately describe themselves as "Political Rationalists".

    That is what I would call myself, BTW.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you a political "atheist"?

    Naw, I'm usually here on Sundays.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  9. #19
    Yuuuuge

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,917

    Re: Are you a political "atheist"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Thus, I conclude that "Political Atheist" and "Political Agnostic" are terms that make no sense at all. Anyone who would call themselves such, should more accurately describe themselves as "Political Rationalists".

    That is what I would call myself, BTW.
    Have you met many people on political forums who would admit to being politically irrational?

  10. #20
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Are you a political "atheist"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Have you met many people on political forums who would admit to being politically irrational?
    An irrational person could still be a rationalist, they just use flawed reasoning.

    And a rational person might not necessarily be a rationalist. They might be an empiricist, for example.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •