View Poll Results: Do you think downloading movies and other content should be illegal?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 25.93%
  • No

    33 61.11%
  • Not sure

    2 3.70%
  • Other (explain)

    5 9.26%
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 264

Thread: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

  1. #201
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,288

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Good lord are you really this uninformed?

    Automobile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_A_(1903)



    But aside from the historical inaccuracies let's see here. Ford doesn't and has NEVER had ownership of the patent for 'cars'. It owns the rights to the Model A. It owns the right to the Model T. It owns the right to Mustangs, it owns the rights to even F350s. Does Ford own the exclusive rights to making cars? No. And it never has. It does however have the exclusive rights to all the cars it designs and produces.
    It really doesn't matter who created the first car I was trying to make a point.

    Would you not agree though that all cars generally operate off of the same basic design principle? The internal combustion engine, is more or less the same thing as originally designed its just had improvements built upon it.
    That is how people avoid patent violations because they can take the original and change it just enough to be issued their own patent.

    With software you can't do that. For instance say I bought photoshop but I saw improvement I could add to it. I could personally do it but I could never sell it because it is copyrighted.

    Software is a virtual mechanical device. It has an input and it delivers an output just like a physical machine.

    Copyrighted material does not.

    I'll pick up your response tomorrow. I have school in the morning.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #202
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,515

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    Hatuey, stop wasting my time with this nonsense. If the books are available free online, its pretty damn obvious what you are paying for when you purchase a print copy.

    I never said that that applied generally since obviously most works aren't made available free by the authors.

    Again this is an example of straw man; I'm glad you looked it up so you can avoid doing this again in the future.
    You seem to not be able to comprehend that if this made any sense then the money would be going to the printing companies ie. the people who print the books. Which it is not. It goes to the publishing houses and authors. Just like the money you pay for a Music CD goes not to the people who created the item which the content was created on but the people who created the content. It's a little sad really that you fail to grasp just how destroyed your argument has been. Specially after you claimed you're paying $30 for 'ink and paper'.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #203
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You seem to not be able to comprehend that if this made any sense then the money would be going to the printing companies ie. the people who print the books. Which it is not. It goes to the publishing houses and authors. Just like the money you pay for a Music CD goes not to the people who created the item which the content was created on but the people who created the content. It's a little sad really that you fail to grasp just how destroyed your argument has been. Specially after you claimed you're paying $30 for 'ink and paper'.
    Still can't give up the straw man? Keep arguing with yourself about nothing, then you can think you've won either way.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,515

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It really doesn't matter who created the first car I was trying to make a point.

    Would you not agree though that all cars generally operate off of the same basic design principle? The internal combustion engine, is more or less the same thing as originally designed its just had improvements built upon it.
    That is how people avoid patent violations because they can take the original and change it just enough to be issued their own patent.
    Wow. Do you have ANY clue as to what you're talking about at all? Seriously. Do any of you here trying to support your theft of other people's work? Patents for different types of internal combustion engines have been granted over and over again in the last 150 years.

    History of the internal combustion engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The originals owners of these patents willingly allowed their work to be theirs for 20 years(or whatever time period their countries allowed 5-10-15 years). NONE what so ever allowed for their work to not be patented and freely used by whomever came along and decided to work on it.

    With software you can't do that. For instance say I bought photoshop but I saw improvement I could add to it. I could personally do it but I could never sell it because it is copyrighted.
    Jesus H. Christ. You can read about plug-ins. Companies pay so that Adobe will allow them to create extra content for Photoshop and then so that they can sell it and make a profit from it :

    Example :

    onOne Software - Award Winning Plugins for Adobe Photoshop

    Software is a virtual mechanical device. It has an input and it delivers an output just like a physical machine.

    Copyrighted material does not.

    I'll pick up your response tomorrow. I have school in the morning.
    - You seem to not be able to understand that this doesn't matter. Mercedez can't decide to start selling Mustangs because the patent for Mustangs runs out. It can't even grab 30 year old Mustangs and stick it's own logo on it and call it an Arabian. Why? Because Mustangs are the property of Ford. Cars have never been the property of Ford.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #205
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,515

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    Still can't give up the straw man? Keep arguing with yourself about nothing, then you can think you've won either way.
    Thanks for proving you're an idiot who thinks they're paying $30 for 'ink and paper'. Sucker born every day.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #206
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Thanks for proving you're an idiot who thinks they're paying $30 for 'ink and paper'. Sucker born every day.
    Go ahead, keep running with that line of bull****.

  7. #207
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,515

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    Go ahead, keep running with that line of bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    No, actually you are paying for the paper and ink in those books; that is why there is a charge for them.
    ......................have fun avoiding your lack of common sense.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #208
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    ......................have fun avoiding your lack of common sense.
    Have fun hoping wallowing in your own dishonesty. I don't have the patience to deal with people who start to make up lies when they begin losing a debate.

  9. #209
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,515

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    Have fun hoping wallowing in your own dishonesty. I don't have the patience to deal with people who start to make up lies when they begin losing a debate.
    Begin losing a debate? Kid you argued you paid money for ink and paper in a book and not the book itself. If that doesn't spell the fact that you had not argument then I don't know what does. Cry me a river about how you don't think it's fair to use to your own words to demolish your arguments.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #210
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    But aside from the historical inaccuracies let's see here. Ford doesn't and has NEVER had ownership of the patent for 'cars'. It owns the rights to the Model A. It owns the right to the Model T. It owns the right to Mustangs, it owns the rights to even F350s. Does Ford own the exclusive rights to making cars? No. And it never has. It does however have the exclusive rights to all the cars it designs and produces.
    Are you suggesting patents should run 80 years or more?
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •