View Poll Results: Do you think downloading movies and other content should be illegal?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 25.93%
  • No

    33 61.11%
  • Not sure

    2 3.70%
  • Other (explain)

    5 9.26%
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 264

Thread: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

  1. #181
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,477

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    You have shifted the goalposts, Hatuey. We were talking about specific books I linked to earlier, not Britney Spears.
    What GOALPOSTS? You argued that you are paying for the ink and paper and not the ideas written down with that pen and paper. If your logic held ANY ground what so ever then you would not be paying for what is ON a CD but the CD itself. Stop using debate words you don't comprehend. It's funny how your logic seems to hold no ground when applied to the real world. Where you pay for content and not what that content is recorded on. Now explain to me how paying $30 for a book is the same as paying $14 for a bottle of cheap ink and 400 sheets of paper.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-17-09 at 12:06 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #182
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    What GOALPOSTS?
    The ones you shifted when you tried to re-frame an argument about specific publications into a general discussion on the factors that go into determining pricing.

    You argued that you are paying for the ink and paper and not the ideas written down with that pen and paper. If your logic held ANY ground what so ever then you would not be paying for what is ON a CD but the CD itself. Stop using debate words you don't comprehend.
    And that was true. What else would you possibly be paying for considering both authors made their books freely available online?

    What you have done here is actually destroy your own argument by acknowledging that when a label sells a CD, they are also selling the content on the CD, which then becomes the property of the buyer.

  3. #183
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Now explain to me how paying $30 for a book is the same as paying $14 for a bottle of cheap ink and 400 sheets of paper.
    Nobody has disputed that the content included in the production influences the price that is set for it.

    See now that is what is called a straw man. More debate language for you.

  4. #184
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,477

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    The ones you shifted when you tried to re-frame an argument about specific publications into a general discussion on the factors that go into determining pricing.
    Again - There is no goalposts at all. You claim that you pay for ink and paper. You're not. Just like you're not paying for a CD but the content on that CD. Arguing that this is somehow 'moving' the goal posts is ridiculous.

    And that was true. What else would you possibly be paying for considering both authors made their books freely available online?
    And yet the book is STILL for sale. Looks bad for people arguing against intellectual property.

    What you have done here is actually destroy your own argument by acknowledging that when a label sells a CD, they are also selling the content on the CD, which then becomes the property of the buyer.
    - It's awesome to watch you debate something you have no clue about. If you knew anything about copyright laws you'd know that by buying it you agree to not make illegal copies of the content. You are made aware of such agreement by not only the vendor but the people who created the content. Just like when you buy property you agree to follow all the rules and regulations regarding that piece of property. Buying something does not mean you get to do whatever you want with it. Same argument applies here. Buying content does not make you the rights holding owner of such content. You do not get the rights to distribute it as you see fit or make any money from it what so ever. Seriously. Do you even know what copyright laws are?

    Examples :



    Notice how the DVD says 'Do Not Make Illegal Copies of this Disk?'



    Notice how before a legally made copy of DVD starts a black screen telling you that it is illegal to make copies of such DVD?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #185
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Critical thinking skills?

    You're trying to defend stealing from someone else and you're suggesting I lack "critical thinking skills". By posting some links to some socialist bull**** and whacky ideology? By tossing around terms you don't understand, but can't explain because you're not capable of doing so?

    Sorry, you lose.

    Thanks for playing, though.
    Wtf? Are you calling the Ludwig Von Mises Institute socialist? And I thought I'd seen terms being twisted before.

    There is nothing that is particularly "socialist" about arguing against IP, particularly as it stands in contradition to most common principles of private property. So try and focus on some more substansive argument than throwing around terms like socialist.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  6. #186
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,477

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    Nobody has disputed that the content included in the production influences the price that is set for it.
    Content is the SOLE factor in what influences price. Again :

    1. A blank CD - $1

    2. A CD with Britney Spears on it : $20

    3. A CD with Adobe Photoshop CS4 Upgrade - $250

    Now do you see a discrepancy? I'll explain why :

    1. It takes the work of around 8-10 people to create a blank CD.

    2. It takes the work of 8 people + an army of musicians, producers, graphic designers and Britney Spears to create a Britney Spears CD.

    3. It takes an army of some of the world's greatest programmers, artists, etc. years to create the coding that goes into an edition of Photoshop.

    Do you see it yet?

    See now that is what is called a straw man. More debate language for you.
    No, actually you are paying for the paper and ink in those books; that is why there is a charge for them.
    A straw man :

    Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "set up a straw man," one describes a position that superficially resembles an opponent's actual view, yet is easier to refute. Then, one attributes that position to the opponent. For example, someone might deliberately overstate the opponent's position.[1] While a straw man argument may work as a rhetorical technique—and succeed in persuading people—it carries little or no real evidential weight, since the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.[2]
    You argued that the charge is for the ink and paper. Not the idea conveyed on that paper with that ink. Please learn what a straw man?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-17-09 at 12:37 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #187
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,258

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    3. A CD with Adobe Photoshop CS4 Upgrade - $250

    3. It takes an army of some of the world's greatest programmers, artists, etc. years to create the coding that goes into an edition of Photoshop.
    The problem with software is that it should have never been allowed to be copyrighted, it is a patent situation.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #188
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    common principles
    That should be common law principles.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 02-17-09 at 01:10 AM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  9. #189
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,477

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The problem with software is that it should have never been allowed to be copyrighted, it is a patent situation.
    This would bring in serious legal issues. A patent is given to an inventor and it is limited to a period of time. Why would this bring legal issues? Well Software isn't usually created by just one person. I'll use the one piece of software I have the most knowledge of. Photoshop. Adobe has different teams working on different aspects of it's flagship project. People working on filters, processes, brushes etc. All these teams work under the guidance of a sort of 'director' who then has another team make all these components work together under the same program. If patents were an effective method of protecting software then legal issues would arise as to whether it is the actual creators of the components who have ownership of the components or Adobe.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #190
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Wtf? Are you calling the Ludwig Von Mises Institute socialist? And I thought I'd seen terms being twisted before.

    There is nothing that is particularly "socialist" about arguing against IP, particularly as it stands in contradition to most common principles of private property. So try and focus on some more substansive argument than throwing around terms like socialist.
    Attacking the Ludwig von Mises Institute as "socialist" is what tipped me off that Captain Obvious is not interested in a serious debate.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •