View Poll Results: Do you think downloading movies and other content should be illegal?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 25.93%
  • No

    33 61.11%
  • Not sure

    2 3.70%
  • Other (explain)

    5 9.26%
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 264

Thread: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

  1. #171
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,505

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    And this is funny how? Paper, ink, and printer usage aren't free.
    Neither is programming, movie making or the production of music.

    I'll wait for your entire world to come crashing down at the thought of how badly you just destroyed your argument.

    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-16-09 at 11:43 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #172
    Student Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    02-25-09 @ 10:26 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    155

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    No, I'm afraid people who lack critical thinking skills and the ability to engage in an intellectual debate will never make sense to me. But go on Cap'n, you are good for a laugh.
    Critical thinking skills?

    You're trying to defend stealing from someone else and you're suggesting I lack "critical thinking skills". By posting some links to some socialist bull**** and whacky ideology? By tossing around terms you don't understand, but can't explain because you're not capable of doing so?

    Sorry, you lose.

    Thanks for playing, though.
    Caucasian male - the new minority
    Fiscally conservative, socially moderate.

  3. #173
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Neither is programming, movie making or the production of music.

    I'll wait for your entire world to come crashing down at the thought of how badly you just destroyed your argument.
    And? Nobody here has argued that movie studios should give away free DVDs. Nice try though.

  4. #174
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 02:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    If another is able to more efficiently produce and market a product, then the original developer deserves to lose market share. That's how markets work. Reward success, punish failure.
    That is right, but that isn't what is occurring. There is no market or marketing involved when people steal another's work.



    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    If I own a CD with songs that I purchased, and I choose to copy it onto a disc that I own using a computer that I own and then share that copy in a private voluntary exchange, I am exercising my private property rights. What the fraud that is "intellectual property" does is allow others to dictate to me what I can do with my own property. The very concept of IP is anathema to property rights.


    But I own the CD as much as the original producer did before he sold it to me.

    And that is where your problem rests.
    You do not own the music, the movie or the right to distribute them.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,505

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    And? Nobody here has argued that movie studios should give away free DVDs. Nice try though.
    What stupidity. You're not paying for a DVD. You're paying for what's inside the DVD. Just like you're not paying for ink and paper. You're paying for what was done with that ink and paper. Try A-****ing-Gain. Or better yet. Take offense at how stupid I think you are for believing you're paying for ink and paper and not a book.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-16-09 at 11:48 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #176
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Critical thinking skills?

    You're trying to defend stealing from someone else and you're suggesting I lack "critical thinking skills". By posting some links to some socialist bull**** and whacky ideology? By tossing around terms you don't understand, but can't explain because you're not capable of doing so?

    Sorry, you lose.

    Thanks for playing, though.
    It's obvious that you are a troll now. Go play elsewhere and let the adults continue this discussion.

  7. #177
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    What stupidity. You're not paying for a DVD. You're paying for what's inside the DVD. Just like you're not paying for ink and paper. You're paying for what was done with that ink and paper. Try A-****ing-Gain. Or better yet. Take offense at how stupid I think you are for believing you're paying for ink and paper and not a book.
    No, actually you are paying for the paper and ink in those books; that is why there is a charge for them. So the original claim about it being funny to be selling that book was a major lapse of logic on your part.

  8. #178
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
    That is right, but that isn't what is occurring. There is no market or marketing involved when people steal another's work.
    If they stole another's work, such as a CD or DVD, of course they should return it.

    And that is where your problem rests.
    You do not own the music, the movie or the right to distribute them.
    Then I don't own the property at all, do I? Private property ceases to exist and we enter a form of pseudo-socialism dictated by the politically-connected.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,505

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    No, actually you are paying for the paper and ink in those books; that is why there is a charge for them. So the original claim about it being funny to be selling that book was a major lapse of logic on your part.
    Here. Buy two bottles and 400 sheets of paper. Now tell me why there is a clear discrepancy between the price you paid for that and the price you'll pay for a copy of Harry Potter? Well clearly it is because two bottles of ink and 400 sheets of paper does not equal a copy of Harry Potter. Not ever. Just like a blank CD will never be the same price as a CD with Britney Spears on it. You're paying for the content. Not the material used to record it on.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-17-09 at 12:02 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #180
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Here. Buy two bottles and 400 sheets of paper. Now tell me why there is a clear discrepancy between the price you paid for that and the price you'll pay for a copy of Harry Potter? Well clearly it is because two bottles of ink and 400 sheets of paper does not equal a copy of Harry Potter. Not ever. Just like a blank CD will never be the same price as a CD with Britney Spears on it. You're paying for the content. Not the material used to record it on.
    You have shifted the goalposts, Hatuey. We were talking about specific books I linked to earlier, not Britney Spears.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •