View Poll Results: Do you think downloading movies and other content should be illegal?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 25.93%
  • No

    33 61.11%
  • Not sure

    2 3.70%
  • Other (explain)

    5 9.26%
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 264

Thread: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

  1. #141
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    First, it's your point. Just saying a word like "monopoly" doesn't expand on your point but honestly, I don't think you really have one.

    I think you're simply trying to argue why you should get a freebie download because it's easy and you're attempting to reason against the reality of the fact that you'd be stealing from the rightful owner of the "rights" to that intellectual property.

    Since you won't elaborate, I can only guess that you're suggesting that the concept of intellectual property includes a theory of monopoly in that there is a virtual "monopoly" to that specific work since only one person holds the rights to it, which is way beyond the subject at hand since that person or entity CONTINUES to hold that right and if it's copied and distributed illegally, then not only is it wrong (stealing) but the entity that owns the rights to that intellectual property is being ripped off.

    You can't argue that issue (well, you can and are - but it's completely baseless).

    Are you a first-year college kid? Just curious.
    Again, Captain, I'm not here you be your personal tutor. You don't know what a monopoly is and you refuse to swallow your pride to look it up. I can't engage in a debate with someone who doesn't even know the meaning of the words he's arguing over.

  2. #142
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,510

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    Hmm..

    Those who chose to distribute their copyrighted works for free would like to talk to you.

    Stop generalizing.
    Their copyrighted works? Of who? No-name unsigned artists on MySpace? Freeware wannabe programmers on Download.com? The movie and music industries lose billions every year because of people who support pirating and illegally downloading the hard work of others. Adobe alone loses a grand every time people somebody decides to illegally download and then pirate it's latest Suite. Now what did I generalize? The fact that pirating software, music and movies is illegal? Get a ****ing clue.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #143
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    Really, where in the Constitution are your ideas on this stated? One vague clause you base your argument upon?
    You may call it a "vague clause," but it's the recognition of not only intellectual property RIGHTS by the Framers, but also their IMPORTANCE.


    Not that it matters. Congress is Constitutionally permitted to implement tariffs and regulate commerce, reflecting the mercantilist myths of the time, but this does not mean that it should. Human understanding of economics and property rights has advanced since then.
    How is this an argument which in any way advances your point?


    When I purchase a CD everything on that CD becomes my property.
    No. It does not. You don't get to make things up out of whole cloth and declare them the Way Things Are. You're wrong. You may wish you weren't, but too bad. You have nothing other than your arrogance to back you up.


    If a performer does not wish to make this available to people, (s)he should not sell CDs in the marketplace.
    They ARE available to people, on the same terms.

    You remind me of the graffiti "artists" who insist that "walls belong to everybody."
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  4. #144
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    Those who chose to distribute their copyrighted works for free would like to talk to you.
    If they own it, that's their own choice.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  5. #145
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    Again, Captain, I'm not here you be your personal tutor. You don't know what a monopoly is and you refuse to swallow your pride to look it up. I can't engage in a debate with someone who doesn't even know the meaning of the words he's arguing over.
    Monopoly doesn't apply in this situation.

    Even if it did, if someone has a monopoly, that doesn't mean you get to steal from them.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  6. #146
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You may call it a "vague clause," but it's the recognition of not only intellectual property RIGHTS by the Framers, but also their IMPORTANCE.
    Hardly. When's the last time government grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal? Congress is not mandated to exercise the powers granted to it.

    How is this an argument which in any way advances your point?
    Well I was never arguing over what the Constitution stated, so your argument was a strawman to begin with.

    No. It does not. You don't get to make things up out of whole cloth and declare them the Way Things Are. You're wrong. You may wish you weren't, but too bad. You have nothing other than your arrogance to back you up.
    I have the concept of property rights, upon which Western society is based, on my side.

    You, on the other hand, have only the force of government on your side. Like socialism did in the Soviet Union. It won't last forever.

    And appeals to authority are not a valid debate tactic.


    They ARE available to people, on the same terms.

    You remind me of the graffiti "artists" who insist that "walls belong to everybody."
    Yet another red herring of an analogy thrown in. Walls are property. Defacing someone's property is not at all comparable to making a copy of your own property.

  7. #147
    User Defensor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    04-21-09 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    144

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Monopoly doesn't apply in this situation.
    The whole discussion topic is about monopoly; there is no way to not discuss it.

    Even if it did, if someone has a monopoly, that doesn't mean you get to steal from them.
    Of course not. But sharing copies of a product I paid money for is not "stealing."

  8. #148
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    Hardly. When's the last time government grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal? Congress is not mandated to exercise the powers granted to it.
    But they do. And they do for the simple reason that profiting from a work is a great incentive to create that work.

    Well I was never arguing over what the Constitution stated, so your argument was a strawman to begin with.
    No. You said there's no such thing as intellectual property. You're wrong. The Constitution recognizes it, along with all sorts of other rights.


    I have the concept of property rights, upon which Western society is based, on my side.
    Oh, yeah? Bring that home.


    You, on the other hand, have only the force of government on your side.
    As is true with any set of laws, including any other property laws.


    And appeals to authority are not a valid debate tactic.
    No, appeals to FALSE authority are not. Besides, what's "Western society" but an authority?


    Yet another red herring of an analogy thrown in.
    I never claimed it was an analogy. It's simply what your arguments remind me of, as they, too, are attempting to justify doing what they do on false arguments.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  9. #149
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    The whole discussion topic is about monopoly; there is no way to not discuss it.
    How so? You can't simply claim that it is and not explain it. The burden of showing it to be so is on you.


    Of course not. But sharing copies of a product I paid money for is not "stealing."
    You didn't. You licensed it. The right to copy and distribute it is not in the sales agreement. If you say that it is, show where.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  10. #150
    Student Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    02-25-09 @ 10:26 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    155

    Re: Do you think downloading movies or other content should be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Monopoly doesn't apply in this situation.

    Even if it did, if someone has a monopoly, that doesn't mean you get to steal from them.
    There's an old saying - if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****.

    This guy keeps tossing the term around but refuses to explain why and simply says something like 'go buy a textbook and look it up'.

    Something tells me this this guy is related to Jerry.

    Caucasian male - the new minority
    Fiscally conservative, socially moderate.

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •