View Poll Results: Do You Belive In Creationsm?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do - The Biblical version

    3 4.11%
  • Yes I do - "Intelligent Design" - God created everything

    9 12.33%
  • No - I believe in the Theory of Evolution (Darwinism)

    51 69.86%
  • None of the above - please explain

    10 13.70%
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 336

Thread: Do You Believe in Creationism?

  1. #71
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    No, it really has. 4.55 billion years plus or minus 1%. If new evidence comes forward it will be evaluated. But for now, that is how old the Earth most likely is.
    Thats simply ridiculous. No one knows, and no one will probably ever know.. There are just to many unknown factors for a race that has been relatively intelligent for thousands of years, and somewhat intelligent for a few hundred years to predict how old the earth is, specially when those predictions amount to 910.000 times more than 5000 years, which is approximately when our intelligent civilizations started. If you divide 4.55 billion by 300 which is the time we have been intelligent compared to the 4700 years... Yeah you get it, its ridiculous to assume the age of the earth, just like its ridiculous to assume to creation of the universe from something you see in a telescope.

    Too many unknown factors, too little knowledge, too simple intelligence.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #72
    Student Pinu7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    In your kitchen, drinking all your kool aid.
    Last Seen
    09-04-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    196

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    I used to believe that God set the initial condition and a predictable chain reaction occurred between matter and energy in such a way that cause all the events to take place. However, if some of these quantum theories are correct (ie the reaction to an action is probabilistic) then my assertion will be false.

    Ergo, my theory must be compromised.


    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    We can make an educated assumption with our current technology, but no one knows for sure how old the earth is. I'm right.
    You said that the earth is millions or billions of years old. You did not now which, you just knew it couldn't be in thousands.

    If Billions are a few thousand more than millions and millions are a few thousand more that billions and you take a reasonable window of estimation to include millions and billions, wouldn't an equally safe window be applied for the set of thousands and millions, making the world being 6000 years old reasonable?
    "If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed."
    Adolf Hitler

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Thats simply ridiculous. No one knows, and no one will probably ever know.. There are just to many unknown factors for a race that has been relatively intelligent for thousands of years, and somewhat intelligent for a few hundred years to predict how old the earth is, specially when those predictions amount to 910.000 times more than 5000 years, which is approximately when our intelligent civilizations started. If you divide 4.55 billion by 300 which is the time we have been intelligent compared to the 4700 years... Yeah you get it, its ridiculous to assume the age of the earth, just like its ridiculous to assume to creation of the universe from something you see in a telescope.

    Too many unknown factors, too little knowledge, too simple intelligence.
    I don't know...if they can do the math on an atomic bomb before they actually see one explode...I think it's very likely to be able to accurately age the earth

  4. #74
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    If you divide 4.55 billion by 300 which is the time we have been intelligent compared to the 4700 years...
    Which part of the scientific method is this?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #75
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Thats simply ridiculous. No one knows, and no one will probably ever know.. There are just to many unknown factors for a race that has been relatively intelligent for thousands of years, and somewhat intelligent for a few hundred years to predict how old the earth is, specially when those predictions amount to 910.000 times more than 5000 years, which is approximately when our intelligent civilizations started.
    If you divide 4.55 billion by 300 which is the time we have been intelligent compared to the 4700 years... Yeah you get it, its ridiculous to assume the age of the earth, just like its ridiculous to assume to creation of the universe from something you see in a telescope.

    Too many unknown factors, too little knowledge, too simple intelligence.
    First off, why do you think this? As the "Da Vinci" of this age, I assume you know what carbon dating, hell you probably invented it. That is how the age is determined. Simply because we haven't been around that long (a lot less time than your 4.55 by 300 (and where the hell did you get that number? It comes out to 1,516,666. People have only been around for about 500,000 years)).

    And this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    when those predictions amount to 910.000 times more than 5000 years, which is approximately when our intelligent civilizations started
    Are you claiming that our intelligent civilizations started 4.55 billion years ago? Because that's just insane, even for you.

    No one is assuming the age of the Earth. They are using scientific techniques to get a relatively accurate estimate. I'd suggest you read up on radiometric dating before saying things like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,502

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Thats simply ridiculous. No one knows, and no one will probably ever know.. There are just to many unknown factors for a race that has been relatively intelligent for thousands of years, and somewhat intelligent for a few hundred years to predict how old the earth is, specially when those predictions amount to 910.000 times more than 5000 years, which is approximately when our intelligent civilizations started. If you divide 4.55 billion by 300 which is the time we have been intelligent compared to the 4700 years... Yeah you get it, its ridiculous to assume the age of the earth, just like its ridiculous to assume to creation of the universe from something you see in a telescope.

    Too many unknown factors, too little knowledge, too simple intelligence.
    So your argument is that because we were dumb a few thousand years ago we can't figure out stuff now? By this standard plasma tvs, space travel, instant telecommunications should not logically exist. I mean obviously these things were not achieved/created in part due to our own understanding of the technology that came for it but also technological advancements in every field related to it. Your argument is simply ludicrous. But here I'll let the science do the talking :

    NASA - Earth

    Scientists think that Earth probably formed at about the same time as the rest of the solar system. They have determined that some chondrite meteorites, the unaltered remains from the formation of the solar system, are up to 4.6 billion years old. Scientists believe that Earth and other planets are probably that old. They can determine the ages of rocks by measuring the amounts of natural radioactive materials, such as uranium, in them. Radioactive elements decay (change into other elements) at a known rate. For example, uranium gives off radiation and decays into lead. Scientists know the time it takes for uranium to change to lead. They can determine the age of a rock by comparing the amount of uranium to the amount of lead.

    The known history of Earth is divided into four long stretches of time called eons. Starting with the earliest, the eons are Hadean, Archean, Proterozoic, and Phanerozoic. The first three eons, which together lasted nearly 4 billion years, are grouped into a unit called the Precambrian. The Phanerozoic Eon, when life became abundant, is divided into three eras. They are, from the oldest to the youngest, the Paleozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic eras. Eras are divided into periods, and periods are divided into epochs. These divisions and subdivisions are named for places where rocks of each period were studied. Periods are mostly separated by important changes in the types of fossils found in the rocks. As a result, the lengths of eras, periods, and epochs are not equal.

    A chart showing an outline of Earth's history is called a geological time scale. On such a chart, Earth's earliest history is at the bottom, and its recent history at the top. This arrangement resembles the way rock strata are formed, with the recent over the oldest.

    Formation of Earth
    Is this REALLY the way you want to go down?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #77
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Which part of the scientific method is this?
    Its the part which discredits scientific speculation around the age of the earth and universe , and calling those facts, as ridiculous.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  8. #78
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Its the part which discredits scientific speculation around the age of the earth and universe , and calling those facts, as ridiculous.
    You know that experiments and evidence are a part of the scientific method, right? Hatuey and I have posted ours. Your turn. Post a credible scientific study proving ours wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

  9. #79
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    First off, why do you think this? As the "Da Vinci" of this age, I assume you know what carbon dating, hell you probably invented it. That is how the age is determined. Simply because we haven't been around that long (a lot less time than your 4.55 by 300 (and where the hell did you get that number? It comes out to 1,516,666. People have only been around for about 500,000 years)).

    And this:

    Are you claiming that our intelligent civilizations started 4.55 billion years ago? Because that's just insane, even for you.
    You just cant read correctly what I am writing. You turn it around when you misunderstand it.. Uninteresting.. I am not debating this with you because either my English is so poor that you cannot understand anything I write, or you simply do not want to understand what I write, which is soon a reason to put you on ignore it this continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    No one is assuming the age of the Earth. They are using scientific techniques to get a relatively accurate estimate. I'd suggest you read up on radiometric dating before saying things like this.
    I assume you take into consideration all the guesses or theories they use as base assumption to make the assumptions about the age of the earth.

    How about the big bang in the first place? How did they "prove" that? By looking into a telescope and assuming the movements of lights and planets and assumed explosion and end result to "predict" the creation of the universe as seen in our own narrow perspectives?
    Last edited by Maximus Zeebra; 02-13-09 at 03:53 PM.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  10. #80
    Dangerous Spinmaster
    RightOfCenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Last Seen
    04-14-12 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    You just cant read correctly what I am writing. You turn it around when you misunderstand it..
    Re-post it then. You said "If you divide 4.55 billion by 300 which is the time we have been intelligent compared to the 4700 years..." That is ridiculous. Try again if you want people to actually understand it.

    Uninteresting.. I am not debating this with you because either my English is so poor that you cannot understand anything I write, or you simply do not want to understand what I write, which is soon a reason to put you on ignore it this continues.
    One more example of you putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "NA NA NA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"
    Quote Originally Posted by SWM
    I never thought infanticide could be so delicious.

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •