View Poll Results: Do You Belive In Creationsm?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do - The Biblical version

    3 4.11%
  • Yes I do - "Intelligent Design" - God created everything

    9 12.33%
  • No - I believe in the Theory of Evolution (Darwinism)

    51 69.86%
  • None of the above - please explain

    10 13.70%
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 336

Thread: Do You Believe in Creationism?

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-22-16 @ 07:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,215

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post


    and very little coherent language.
    Bubble bubble toil and trouble where is my primordial soup.

  2. #42
    Yuuuuge

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,883

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Yes this may be a valid point for some of the planets out there, but because of the numbers of planets with the possibility of life likely in the billions and the possibility of intelligent life likely in the millions...many too would have evolved...some less as fast as earth and some much faster...the scenarios are almost infinite
    Well, let's take an idyllic world, one with no adversity. No significantly smarter or stronger species would evolve...ever...just like the shark and the mosquito haven't seen fit to evolve for over a hundred million years. Just as necessity is the mother of invention, adversity is the mother of evolution. All life on earth is what it is because reality bites, and if that wasn't the case we'd all still be single cell organisms.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    How could anyone be really certain about evolution without understanding intelligent design? ID doesn't necessarily think the world isn't 5 billion years old or that it was created by the God of the bible.

    ID states that many forms of life could not have evolved and appear to have been created by plan. It doesn't say by who or what.

    So how do you account for this if you don't know the theory? Why would scientists find explanations for this stuff if nobody pointed out these problems with the evolution theory?

    Keeping ID out of school just reminds me of the Church putting Galileo in prison or something. It only helps scientists and students understand evolution better.

  4. #44
    Yuuuuge

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,883

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    How could anyone be really certain about evolution without understanding intelligent design? ID doesn't necessarily think the world isn't 5 billion years old or that it was created by the God of the bible.

    ID states that many forms of life could not have evolved and appear to have been created by plan. It doesn't say by who or what.

    So how do you account for this if you don't know the theory? Why would scientists find explanations for this stuff if nobody pointed out these problems with the evolution theory?

    Keeping ID out of school just reminds me of the Church putting Galileo in prison or something. It only helps scientists and students understand evolution better.
    ID is a hypothesis that requires evidence of the existence of such a "planner." Without evidence of this planner, the scientific method can't calculate it into the origin of existence or evolution. You can't figure "x" into a mathematical equation if there is no logical reason to suspect that "x" exists. Sure, you can say, "but if x exists, then..." but that would be more philosophy than science.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well, let's take an idyllic world, one with no adversity. No significantly smarter or stronger species would evolve...ever...just like the shark and the mosquito haven't seen fit to evolve for over a hundred million years. Just as necessity is the mother of invention, adversity is the mother of evolution. All life on earth is what it is because reality bites, and if that wasn't the case we'd all still be single cell organisms.
    Just because sharks haven't evolved doesn't mean they don't have a direct effect on how other species of fish evolved. Some species of fish start reproducing in larger quantities to make up for the consumption of them by sharks so they can keep proliferating their species and help fight extinction.

    There are current studies that back this in how some species have evolved in ways with increasing the number of offsping they have to compensate for the increasing number lost.

    Mosquitos directly force the evolution of blood immune systems to recognize and battle different blood viruses that evolve and mutate.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well, let's take an idyllic world, one with no adversity. No significantly smarter or stronger species would evolve...ever...just like the shark and the mosquito haven't seen fit to evolve for over a hundred million years. Just as necessity is the mother of invention, adversity is the mother of evolution. All life on earth is what it is because reality bites, and if that wasn't the case we'd all still be single cell organisms.
    Did you notice that even species of plants have evolved somehow in many ways?

  7. #47
    Yuuuuge

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,883

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Just because sharks haven't evolved doesn't mean they don't have a direct effect on how other species of fish evolved. Some species of fish start reproducing in larger quantities to make up for the consumption of them by sharks so they can keep proliferating their species and help fight extinction.

    There are current studies that back this in how some species have evolved in ways with increasing the number of offsping they have to compensate for the increasing number lost.

    Mosquitos directly force the evolution of blood immune systems to recognize and battle different blood viruses that evolve and mutate.
    Then it seems as though we agree that adversity, wherever it's coming from, is the necessary setting for evolution.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Then it seems as though we agree that adversity, wherever it's coming from, is the necessary setting for evolution.
    Just the fact that any planets lifeform requires an ecosystem of consumption and survival is actually quite disturbing.

    Here on earth virtually every species of life attacks and kills other species of life because it has to to survive. Based on this I believe that chances are that if we meet other lifeforms from other planets they wont be friendly.

    I personally believe that evolution may eventually do away with emotions because all we need are logical decision making to proliferate as a species and emotions will only hinder this.

    This is why I believe that if life out there finds us it will almost certainly only look at us and earth as a resource for their proliferation and have no emotion as to where we fit in.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Last Seen
    03-08-09 @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    724

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. Einstein didn't believe in personal gods, when he spoke of gods he was speaking in a pantheistic sense. That is, ascribing attributes of nature to gods. God doesn't play dice, this is a quote from him when presented with quantum mechanics (Einstein didn't believe quantum mechanics was right, we know better now). But that wasn't a personal god, that was nature. Nature doesn't play dice. In fact, your first quote of Einstein is exactly this point. He doesn't believe in the Christian sort of god, not a personal deity, something that started everything and guided it. But rather that things flowed from nature, and nature was a type of god itself.

    All of this is a null point anyway, it doesn't matter what Einstein thought was right or not. Ideas and hypothesis are tested, results are noted, knowledge is gained, and mankind moves on. We know how old the earth is, we know approximately the age of the universe; there's all sorts of things we can measure.
    My point was I said Einstein believed in intelligent design and he did.

  10. #50
    Yuuuuge

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,883

    Re: Do You Believe in Creationism?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Just the fact that any planets lifeform requires an ecosystem of consumption and survival is actually quite disturbing.

    Here on earth virtually every species of life attacks and kills other species of life because it has to to survive. Based on this I believe that chances are that if we meet other lifeforms from other planets they wont be friendly.

    I personally believe that evolution may eventually do away with emotions because all we need are logical decision making to proliferate as a species and emotions will only hinder this.

    This is why I believe that if life out there finds us it will almost certainly only look at us and earth as a resource for their proliferation and have no emotion as to where we fit in.
    As earth is currently our only precedent for how evolution happens, I agree that E.T. ain't gonna be the first one we meet out there.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •