View Poll Results: Do you agree with the statement?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 54.72%
  • No

    24 45.28%
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 399

Thread: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

  1. #61
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    "Freedom" has no "version". That is where YOUR porblem lies.

    Fighting for the "freedom" to oppress others according to some relgious text or tenet isn't fighting for freedom, but fighting to gain enough power to force others to live as you would have them.
    Freedom from Israeli occupation of their land. Very simple to understand, stop making this harder than it needs to be.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #62
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Fighting for the "freedom" to oppress others according to some relgious text or tenet isn't fighting for freedom, but fighting to gain enough power to force others to live as you would have them.
    I don't think many would see it as opression to not have a secular society or the ability to do whatever they please.

  3. #63
    Sage
    DeeJayH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Scooping Zeus' Poop
    Last Seen
    06-21-15 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    while the two terms are not mutually exclusive
    they are also not always interchangeable

    one can be fighting for freedom, but if they use terrorist tactics they are terrorists
    if they use guerilla tactics against their enemy, than they are freedom fighters
    a terrorist is not always fighting for freedom
    a freedom fighter does not always use terrorist tactics
    Last edited by DeeJayH; 02-06-09 at 01:11 PM.

    Human Taxidermist - - now offering his services for all your loved ones
    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How the hell did you just tie in a retroactive reparative measure with a proactive preventative measure. Not even close to being the same thing.

  4. #64
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Freedom from Israeli occupation of their land. Very simple to understand, stop making this harder than it needs to be.
    Then they are not fightnig for "freedom", but only to gain enough power to force others to live as they would have them live.

  5. #65
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Then they are not fightnig for "freedom", but only to gain enough power to force others to live as they would have them live.
    A freedom fighter fights for freedom. They want, say it with me, freedom from Israel. No one has said anything about a "free society". This is really that simple, why you fail to grasp it is beyond me.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #66
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Then they are not fightnig for "freedom", but only to gain enough power to force others to live as they would have them live.
    They are fighting for freedom to have control of the situation. That is what all freedom fighters are for. For control of something, or someone (stupid Greek b!tch).
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  7. #67
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I don't think many would see it as opression to not have a secular society or the ability to do whatever they please.
    Forcing people to live they way you want them to live is oppression.
    Fighthing for the power to do so, therefore, is NOT fighting for freedom.

  8. #68
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    They are fighting for freedom to have control of the situation.
    That's not fighting for freedom, that's fighting for power.
    Power to force people to live a certain way.

  9. #69
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Forcing people to live they way you want them to live is oppression.
    Fighthing for the power to do so, therefore, is NOT fighting for freedom.
    So by your logic, we as Americans are oppressed. Thanks for that tidbit of pertinent information.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #70
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    A freedom fighter fights for freedom. They want, say it with me, freedom from Israel. No one has said anything about a "free society". This is really that simple, why you fail to grasp it is beyond me.
    If you arent fighting for a 'free society' then you;re not fighting for freedom, you're fighting for power to oppress.
    This is really that simple, why you fail to grasp it is beyond me.

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •