View Poll Results: Do you agree with the statement?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 54.72%
  • No

    24 45.28%
Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 399

Thread: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

  1. #351
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No.
    (10 characters)
    why, it fits with the definition you gave: killing civilians* (140,000) to reach a political goal (end of the WWII)

    * they could have sent it on a forest, the blast would have been the same. If you look at the criteria used to choose the target, they chose big cities:

    # They are larger than three miles in diameter and are important targets in a large urban area.

    Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    "large urban area" = "city" = civilian

  2. #352
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Your own source defeats you.


    Sabotage is not in any way necessarily terrorism.


    This is a lost cause...
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  3. #353
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    This is a lost cause...
    I'm sorry that you do not like the fact that acts of sabotage are not at all necessarily acts of terrorism.
    But, it is a fact.

  4. #354
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I'm sorry that you do not like the fact that acts of sabotage are not at all necessarily acts of terrorism.
    But, it is a fact.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1057919134

  5. #355
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    why, it fits with the definition you gave: killing civilians* (140,000) to reach a political goal (end of the WWII)
    Were the civilians the intended target? No. End of story.

  6. #356
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Were the civilians the intended target? No. End of story.
    Did you miss the definition of terrorism? Here, let me help you yet again:

    the term “terrorism” means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents;


    We knew that when we dropped the bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima that we were going to kill many innocents. That successfully fulfills the premeditated part.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #357
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    We knew that when we dropped the bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima that we were going to kill many innocents. That successfully fulfills the premeditated part.
    Killing civilians in wartime while attacking a military target isn't terrorism.

    If it were, then you'd not need to revert to such hyperbole to make your point, as every 500lb HE bomb that missed a Maybach factory and hit a German school would be terrorism.

    Never mind that the USAF is neither a subnational group nor a clandestine agent.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 02-10-09 at 04:42 PM.

  8. #358
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Killing civilians in wartime while attacking a military target isn't terrorism.

    If it were, then you'd not need to revert to such hyperbole to make your point, as every 500lb HE bomb that missed a Maybach factory and hit a German school would be terrorism.
    There you go, you proved my point: The definition of terrorism is stupid.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #359
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    There you go, you proved my point: The definition of terrorism is stupid.
    Seems to me your point was that the US was a terrorist state.

  10. #360
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Seems to me your point was that the US was a terrorist state.
    Under the definition, they are. Thanks for making my case.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •