View Poll Results: Do you agree with the statement?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 54.72%
  • No

    24 45.28%
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 399

Thread: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

  1. #181
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    06-30-10 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If Al-Qaida or Hamas were fighting for freedom I might agree with the statement.

    They are, however, fighting for fascism, so I do not agree with the statement in its modern context.
    you could probably make a pretty good argument that Al Qaeda is trying to install theocratic totalitarianism, however fascism is not just a byword for totalitarianism, it's specific manifestation of totalitarianism.

    Fascism is totally incompatible with Islamic totalitarianism for a lot of reasons, most important being fascism's nationalism (which is totally the opposite of Islamic totalitarianism's pan-nationalism) and fascism's enthusiastic acceptance of industrial modernity (versus Islamic totalitarianism's obsession with returning to pre-industrial antiquity).

    Fascism does not simply mean "bad" or "totalitarian" and terms like "Islamofascism" are nothing but meaningless propaganda which not only confuses our battle with Islamic totalitarianism but degrades the meaning of fascism.

    Fascism was a very distinct, and distinctly evil, thing. To dilute its meaning to "they're bad authoritarians" diminishes the lesson that their evil has taught us.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    you could probably make a pretty good argument that Al Qaeda is trying to install theocratic totalitarianism, however fascism is not just a byword for totalitarianism, it's specific manifestation of totalitarianism.

    Fascism is totally incompatible with Islamic totalitarianism for a lot of reasons, most important being fascism's nationalism (which is totally the opposite of Islamic totalitarianism's pan-nationalism) and fascism's enthusiastic acceptance of industrial modernity (versus Islamic totalitarianism's obsession with returning to pre-industrial antiquity).

    Fascism does not simply mean "bad" or "totalitarian" and terms like "Islamofascism" are nothing but meaningless propaganda which not only confuses our battle with Islamic totalitarianism but degrades the meaning of fascism.

    Fascism was a very distinct, and distinctly evil, thing. To dilute its meaning to "they're bad authoritarians" diminishes the lesson that their evil has taught us.
    I have no idea what your point here is.

    Are you arguing that Islam is fighting for individual freedom?

  3. #183
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    06-30-10 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    No, my point is that Al Qaeda isn't Fascist.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    No, my point is that Al Qaeda isn't Fascist.
    ........so?........

  5. #185
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    06-30-10 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    So maybe you (and Fox News) should stop saying that they're "fighting for fascism".
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  6. #186
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,711

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    He denied involvement in the plane incident. He is also fighting against tyranny so he is a freedom fighter. Hamas is fighting to instill tyranny.
    He denies? That is rich. He has admitted several bombings and attacks on civilian targets hence he is a terrorist, and you believe him when he denies he bombed the plane?

    As for fighting tyranny.. is that justification for terror in your eyes? So when a Palestinian blows himself up in a bus, then that is justified because he is fighting a government that is oppressing him and his people?

    As for Hamas. They were formed, along with the PLO and Hizbollah to fight against Israel because of Israel's oppression of the Palestinian people. The IRA was formed to fight against the British occupation of Northern Ireland. The French resistance was formed to fight against Nazi tyranny in France during WW2. According to your definition then all 3 are terrorist organisations, and yet the US supported 2 of them with money and weapons.

    The OP words "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" is 100% correct and the US actions prove it time and time again. They protected an admitted terrorist (by your and the US own definitions) and that is solely because the US views his actions as "fighting" Cuba and not terror. The US never made the IRA a terrorist organisation and continued to allow funding by its citizens because the citizens in question were a big political block and viewed the IRA as freedom fighters.
    PeteEU

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    So maybe you (and Fox News) should stop saying that they're "fighting for fascism".
    You know, I was about to say something on how I don't work for Fox News, but then I realized that my avatar has a show on the Fox Business Network

    Islam does, yes it does, fight for fascism, and your objection to that fact has nothing to do with my point.

    Islam does not fight for freedom so they cannot be equated in any way or regard to freedom fighters.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-08-09 at 02:01 PM.

  8. #188
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Islam does not fight for freedom so they cannot be equated in any way or regard to freedom fighters.
    Really?
    Every fighter is fighting for freedom. It may not appear as freedom to you, probably because you have a highly horrid bias toward Islam, but to someone it is a fight for freedom. Your opinion, your existence, does not out-weight that of an Islamic fundamentalist; i'm sorry to inform you that the world is not meant for humans, but for the cultivation of germs by the Tramalafordores.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  9. #189
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    06-30-10 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You know, I was about to say something on how I don't work for Fox News, but then I realized that my avatar has a show on the Fox Business Network

    Islam does, yes it does, fight for fascism, and your objection to that fact has nothing to do with my point.

    Islam does not fight for freedom so they cannot be equated in any way or regard to freedom fighters.
    They aren't fascists!

    Fascism is even atheistic, the complete opposite of the Islamist!

    Reread my post, and repeat after me: fascism is a form of totalitarianism, not the only form of totalitarianism.

    Al Qaeda has absolutely nothing to do with fascism. At all. In anyway.

    Totally unrelated.

    That doesn't make Al Qaeda any less bad, but they are not fascists.

    Fascism doesn't mean "someone who doesn't believe in democracy", it's a distinct (anti-democratic) political system.

    Was King George a "fascist"? He didn't believe in democracy. No, he was a monarchist.

    Was Lenin a "fascist"? He didn't believe in democracy (at least our concept of it). No, he was a communist.

    Was Calvin a "fascist"? He didn't believe in democracy. No, he was an authoritarian theocrat (much like Al Qaeda).

    Words have actual meanings.
    Last edited by new coup for you; 02-08-09 at 03:44 PM.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    They aren't fascists!

    Fascism is even atheistic, the complete opposite of the Islamist!

    Reread my post, and repeat after me: fascism is a form of totalitarianism, not the only form of totalitarianism.

    Al Qaeda has absolutely nothing to do with fascism. At all. In anyway.

    Totally unrelated.

    That doesn't make Al Qaeda any less bad, but they are not fascists.

    Fascism doesn't mean "someone who doesn't believe in democracy", it's a distinct (anti-democratic) political system.

    Was King George a "fascist"? He didn't believe in democracy. No, he was a monarchist.

    Was Lenin a "fascist"? He didn't believe in democracy (at least our concept of it). No, he was a communist.

    Was Calvin a "fascist"? He didn't believe in democracy. No, he was an authoritarian theocrat (much like Al Qaeda).

    Words have actual meanings.
    ......man just doesn't know when he's being trolled......

Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •