View Poll Results: Do you agree with the statement?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 54.72%
  • No

    24 45.28%
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 399

Thread: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

  1. #141
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    06-16-16 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,928

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    I disagree with the statement for the simple reason that a terrorist intentionally targets innocent men women and children. A freedom fighter is fighting against totalitarianism. Fighting for freedom.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  2. #142
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    I disagree with the statement for the simple reason that a terrorist intentionally targets innocent men women and children. A freedom fighter is fighting against totalitarianism. Fighting for freedom.
    Why can you not fight for freedom while killing innocent people?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  3. #143
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    06-16-16 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,928

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Why can you not fight for freedom while killing innocent people?
    You can. The key word in my statment was intentionally. If your intent is to kill innocents you are a terrorist. Terrorist know this and they use it against us. That is why they use human shields. Then they can use propaganda to try to convince the rest of the world that we are the terrorist.
    Like the pictures of bloody children comming out of Gaza.
    Last edited by SgtRock; 02-06-09 at 11:40 PM.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  4. #144
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    You can. The key word in my statment was intentionally. If your intent is to kill innocents you are a terrorist. Terrorist know this and they use it against us. That is why they use human shields. Then they can use propaganda to try to convince the rest of the world that we are the terrorist.
    Like the pictures of bloody children comming out of Gaza.
    So you are saying that you cannot be a terrorist and a freedom fighter at the same time? I disagree.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  5. #145
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    06-16-16 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,928

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    So you are saying that you cannot be a terrorist and a freedom fighter at the same time? I disagree.
    I suppose you could be both a freedom fighter and a terrorist. But if you are a freedom fighter and you intentionally kill innocent civilians you are a terrorist. You crossed the line from freedom fighter to terrorist. Does that make sense? Again the key is intent.
    Last edited by SgtRock; 02-06-09 at 11:59 PM.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  6. #146
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    I suppose you could be both a freedom fighter and a terrorist. But if you are a freedom fighter and you intentionally kill innocent civilians you are a terrorist. Does that make sense? Again the key is intent.
    It does make sense. Now explain that to Goobieman, he seems to be having trouble understanding.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  7. #147
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    06-16-16 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,928

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    My problem with the statement "One mans terrorist is an another mans freedom figher". Is that it is an attempt to make the terrorist acceptable to people. Just because someone may perceive a person to be a freedom fighter does not mean he is not a terrorist.

    I had sympathy for the IRA's cause of freedom. But there tactic of purposefully targeting civilians was unacceptable. They were terrorist.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  8. #148
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,350

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    But... are Hamas/Hezbollah actually fighting for freedom?
    For whom? Defined how?
    They are seen as a resistance movement to their people, seen as terrorists by those opposed to them.

    Hamas takes its name from the Arabic initials for the Islamic Resistance Movement.

    Branded a terrorist organisation by Israel, the US and the EU, it is seen by its supporters as a legitimate fighting force defending Palestinians from a brutal military occupation.

    It is the largest Palestinian militant Islamist organisation, formed in 1987 at the beginning of the first intifada, or Palestinian uprising against Israel's occupation in the West Bank and Gaza.

    The group's short-term aim has been to drive Israeli forces from the occupied territories. To achieve this it has launched attacks on Israeli troops and settlers in the Palestinian territories and against civilians in Israel.

    It also has a long-term aim of establishing an Islamic state on all of historic Palestine - most of which has been contained within Israel's borders since its creation in 1948.
    Source: BBC Profile

    Generally however the victor in any conflict gets to write the long term version of history, we're not there yet.

  9. #149
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Last Seen
    01-13-10 @ 07:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    146

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Freedom Fighter, to me is a left leaning biased word used by left leaning media. Communism has always advocated emancipation, and freedom from the bourgeois society and transitioning into a classless society. Lenin, Mao, and Castro are commonly labelled as sorts of Freedom Fighters, but are they really? They purged millions of men, women and even children because they were 'counterrevolutionary" or just because they criticised the Government. They led their respective nations into poverty, war and famine, instead of bringing in freedom, they instead suppressed their people.

    Freedom Fighter is just a term used by Left leaning people in order to make people such as Lenin, Mao and Castro seem like an acceptable person, and that their actions were justified.

    I'd call all three of them Terrorists, actually, I'd call them tyrants.
    Last edited by George VI; 02-07-09 at 05:51 AM.

  10. #150
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    06-16-16 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,928

    Re: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    They are seen as a resistance movement to their people, seen as terrorists by those opposed to them.



    Source: BBC Profile

    Generally however the victor in any conflict gets to write the long term version of history, we're not there yet.
    If Hamas never deployed terrorist tactics with the intent to kill civilians they would not be considered terrorist. Hamas is responsible for suicide attacks targeting civilians. These attacks deliberatly target civilians that is why they are terrorist. There people may call them a resistence movement but they are terrorist plan and simple.
    Last edited by SgtRock; 02-07-09 at 10:47 AM.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •