View Poll Results: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously! It should carry MMS and strict for 2nd++ offense..

    5 4.55%
  • Yes, jailtime.

    4 3.64%
  • Yah, first fine, then jail, mild jail time.

    1 0.91%
  • Hmm.. Perhaps..

    8 7.27%
  • No..

    90 81.82%
  • Something else(explain).

    7 6.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 82 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 820 of 845

Thread: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

  1. #811
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    So even if an adulterer doesn't have children they still get punished? Because...
    Because they slept with someone else than who they were married to. Any new law on criminalization of adultery would certainly include another clausul in the marriage contract, stating that you can face criminal prosecution if you cheat on your spouse.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #812
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    What the hell are you talking about. Who do you think the wronged party is going to complain to and who is going to conduct the investigation and prosecution and who it going imprision the offender? How is the government not involved in a criminal matter?
    Perhaps if you read the rest of point 1 you will understand the first part of point 1.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  3. #813
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Because they slept with someone else than who they were married to.
    that's circular logic: its illegal because its in the contract and its the contract because its illegal.
    Can you explain to me why someone should be punished for sleeping with another when married? Others have made it quite clear its just about the kids but if a married couple doesn't have kids you are still advocating that they get punished. This begs the question: if its not about kids then what's your reasoning? People should get thrown in jail because they broke a civil contract? People should get thrown in jail because they hurt someones feelings or destroyed their trust?
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  4. #814
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That may be well and true... but how we word things indicates how we feel subconsciously. To say that somebody "made" us do something as ridiculous as cheat may not be what they meant to say, but in my experience, it is a perfect representation regarding how they actually feel about the matter. In Rivs case, it aligns PERFECTLY with the many many MANY times that I have heard her make excuses and justifications for peoples irresponsible and untrustworthy behacior.
    What excuses have I made for anyone's untrustworthy behavior? The only thing I have done is explain how or why someone may cheat. And, I have repeatedly stated that I feel it is best to remove oneself from a relationship before cheating. I have stated that unequivocally. I have also stated that if someone doesn't choose to do that, it is no one else's business but theirs and their partner's. Certainly not the government's.


    Just look at her refusal to see the context in which I am discussing trust, or this issue for that matter. She keeps indicating that my argument is about "a person's feeling" being "hurt". INO she is dishonest or deluded.
    Then what is it about? I have asked you repeatedly and you have yet to give an answer.

    Seriously... and dishonest goes towards her attitudes about why she doesn want to view her cheating with a married man actions as irresponsible and untrustworthy...
    I didn't cheat, they did. I broke no one's trust, they did.

    Look, with KK and riv this is the routine. They admit to being selfish and not caring. It is the "families fault" that the family breaks up, not their fault in any shape or form.
    Yes, it is the fault of the members of the relationship that the relationship broke up. It is NEVER anyone's fault but theirs.

    She has never indicated that it is not the kids faulr, she just glosses over that point that I keep making, for she knows that it will bury her and she will have to face reality. That is why I end it in a "whatever..."
    Glosses over what? Of course I've never indicated it was not any kid's fault because I never implied that it WAS any kid's fault. WTF kid are you talking about? Methinks you're the one trying to escape reality since you obviously put words in my mouth and then try to condemn me for what you THINK I said. It's insane. Why don't you try reading what I say instead of glossing over what I say and putting words in my mouth.

  5. #815
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    And it should be their decision if they want to press charges against the person who committed the adultery. Giving them that possibility rather than not, is just fair.
    It's fair to let someone use our court system out of spite because their feelings got hurt? Seriously?

  6. #816
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    It's fair to let someone use our court system out of spite because their feelings got hurt? Seriously?
    Yeah thats it, end of discussion.. I am not going to repeat all the reasons why people should have those rights, I have repeated it enough already.. Good night..
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  7. #817
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Because they slept with someone else than who they were married to. Any new law on criminalization of adultery would certainly include another clausul in the marriage contract, stating that you can face criminal prosecution if you cheat on your spouse.
    And who determines what "cheating" is? What if they have a threesome? Is that cheating? Will both parties go to jail?

    What if the wife thinks it's cheating because her husband looked at porn. Can she press charges then too?

  8. #818
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,627

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    This was a great post overall Arcana... *bows*


    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Point. And, if you ask me, the state has been making divorce easier and easier to obtain with each passing decade. And this is true in practically the entire industrialized world. It really doesn't seem all that bothered about doing its utmost to keep families together. Does anyone really think that MaxZ's idea of making adultery illegal has a chance in hell of ever becoming law?
    They are making it easier, and there is nothing wrong with that at all...
    Let 'em separate and move on...

    My opinion on an emotional level is to put the worst adulterers in prison...
    Those that are just scum on all levels and that do this act...

    Most are not on that level, so my rationale must then take over and
    say that prison should not be an option, but I just get so pissed at
    the thought of cheating. I can't even watch movies or tv shows without
    cringing when they cheat or lie about wanting to be with another...

    It makes me sick that people can be so ****ty to each other, and that is
    being irresponsible and untrustworthy in the worst possible way...


    Yeah, I'm not here to pass judgment on others, sorry. I'll just say this, in cases of adultery I never blame the other woman for anything. I didn't in my case and I won't do it in other cases either. She didn't do anything wrong. My ex husband did. He is the only one to blame for the choices he made. All she ever did wrong was fall in love with him. If you can even ever call love "wrong".
    Love isn't wrong, and if the "other women" don't know about the marriage,
    they have done NOTHING wrong at all. Once the marriage is known though,
    well, they can be in love all they want, but just knowing that they man is
    a cheater and all that should be enough to let the woman know that he is
    a loser and for her to continue indicates that she isn't much better, IMO.


    None of these people will ever know the whole story. They get glimpses of what the two parties decide to share, but we never really get the whole story.

    As for your last point, it's a cultural thing, you know. While it is true that most of my American friends do consider adultery to be THE deal breaker, it's no so much the case in Europe. Europeans, for some reason, tend to be much more forgiving of infidelity. Except for the Mediterranean cultures, that seem to still regard women as either virgins or whores and where men still think their wife's vagina is their personal property.
    It's the deal breaker for me. No question.



    There's so much I disagree with in there, I wouldn't know where to start breaking that mumbo jumbo of pop psych, sociological myths and evolutionary psych apart.
    Didn't say that it was science or holy writ, just that it was interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  9. #819
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,627

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    What excuses have I made for anyone's untrustworthy behavior? The only thing I have done is explain how or why someone may cheat. And, I have repeatedly stated that I feel it is best to remove oneself from a relationship before cheating. I have stated that unequivocally. I have also stated that if someone doesn't choose to do that, it is no one else's business but theirs and their partner's. Certainly not the government's.



    Then what is it about? I have asked you repeatedly and you have yet to give an answer.


    I didn't cheat, they did. I broke no one's trust, they did.


    Yes, it is the fault of the members of the relationship that the relationship broke up. It is NEVER anyone's fault but theirs.


    Glosses over what? Of course I've never indicated it was not any kid's fault because I never implied that it WAS any kid's fault. WTF kid are you talking about? Methinks you're the one trying to escape reality since you obviously put words in my mouth and then try to condemn me for what you THINK I said. It's insane. Why don't you try reading what I say instead of glossing over what I say and putting words in my mouth.
    - You constantly make excuses and/or don't acknowledge untrustworthy or irresposible behavior
    - I have answer repeatedly... it is about a CONSEQUENCE.
    - You cheated if you slept with a married man, you are untrustworthy IMO.
    - It is partially your fault if the marriage ended
    - You don't acknowledge that it is anybody's fault but the "families" and when called on it you don't clarify. If it is the "family" and kids are a part of the "family" then you are saying that it is their decision/fault as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  10. #820
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,627

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    It's fair to let someone use our court system out of spite because their feelings got hurt? Seriously?
    ...And here we go AGAIN. It is not simply about "feelings". If it changed it would be due to a CONSEQUENCE.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

Page 82 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •