View Poll Results: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously! It should carry MMS and strict for 2nd++ offense..

    5 4.55%
  • Yes, jailtime.

    4 3.64%
  • Yah, first fine, then jail, mild jail time.

    1 0.91%
  • Hmm.. Perhaps..

    8 7.27%
  • No..

    90 81.82%
  • Something else(explain).

    7 6.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 80 of 85 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 845

Thread: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

  1. #791
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You are trying to be cute...
    The relationship falls apart because of the cheating actions of the adulterer.
    The marriage ends in divorce as a result of it falling apart.
    Nice try though...
    No. The cheating happens because of problems in the relationship. Problems between BOTH parties. The relationship only ends if the parties think it should. Many times relationships survive adultery.

    Last time you would not admit that it was untrustworthy...
    This time you have. I guess that progress CAN be made.
    Bull****ing ****. The act of the cheating spouse is untrusthworthy, I NEVER said it wasn't.


    Nope. It ends due to the actions of the adulterer, since most people feel that being cheated on automatically ends the relationship/marriage.
    No, it ends when the participants say it does. It ends according to the actions of BOTH of them and how they handle the problems.

    The marriage is over before the divorce papers are signed.
    Then the marriage was already over prior to the cheating.


    If you cheat on me, the relationship is over.
    Once you do it, it is over no matter how long it takes to divorce.
    The relationship is ruined the second you cheat.
    Sorry, it is over and you ruined the relationship.
    And that is YOU. That is not ME. Nor is it anyone I can think of offhand.

    But, I have a friend who would end the marriage if her spouse went to a strip club. All he has to do is LOOK at a nekkid woman and she'll end the marriage.

    Hell, aps says she'd divorce her hubby if he started smoking. So, in light of what you're saying in this thread... should her hubby recieve jailtime if he takes up smoking and "ruins the relationship"?

    Regardles, that's HER choice to do that. It's the participants choice whether or not to tolerate or work through certain behavior. YOU are not everyone. But, it's fair to say that your wife knows that if she cheats on you, you will divorce her. You could, however, choose NOT to end the marriage if she cheats. So, her actions are not the only actions to cause a divorce. YOUR reaction to what she does is really the deciding factor. The cheated on partner is the variable. THEIR reaction, their subsequent actions are the deciding factor.

    And it is how we handle hurting others that is the key.
    You want to make excuses for behavior, that is not responsible.
    What excuses?

    You didn't, I did.
    That being said, you just said it.

    Last time you would not admit that it was untrustworthy...
    This time you have. I guess that progress CAN be made.
    Again: Bull****ing ****. The act of the cheating spouse is untrusthworthy, I NEVER said it wasn't.


    trust (trst)
    n.
    1. Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.


    We all trust one another not to do things every day.
    I never said that I would not ram into your car with mine for fun.
    Guess that after I do this action, I will still be considered trustworthy...
    I don't trust you NOT to run into my car. So if you do, you've broken no trust of mine. Thus, you wouldn't be untrustworthy.


    Perhaps, and most likely, the problems only existed with the CHEATER/ADULTERER!
    This is, again, your disconnect.
    Doubtful, since there are two people in the relationship.

    Nothing can be selfless because the word selfish contains the word self?
    Well, so does the word selfless! Even if that is not your argument, I would argue that foolishness with; no selfish act can take place, because the only type of action that there is is a selfless one.
    That makes no sense hon. Do note what the "less" and "ish" suffixes mean. Self LESS... without self. There is no such thing as an action without the self. There are degrees of selfishness, for sure. But there is no such thing as a purely unselfish act. Everyone does what they do because they WANT to.

  2. #792
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,710

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    No. The cheating happens because of problems in the relationship. Problems between BOTH parties. The relationship only ends if the parties think it should. Many times relationships survive adultery.
    There are problems in every single relationship that exists.
    Some major... some minor.

    Problems betweem parents and kids, siblings, married fold, boyfirend/girlfriend, etc.

    What you are doing to is make an excuse.

    Oh gee, there is a problem so it is both of our fault that I **** another person and it is the family and kids fault that the marriage ends in divorce. I don't even want to waste a second addressing any of the rest, for this is the root of the entire issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  3. #793
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    There are problems in every single relationship that exists.
    Some major... some minor.

    Problems betweem parents and kids, siblings, married fold, boyfirend/girlfriend, etc.

    What you are doing to is make an excuse.

    Oh gee, there is a problem so it is both of our fault that I **** another person and it is the family and kids fault that the marriage ends in divorce. I don't even want to waste a second addressing any of the rest, for this is the root of the entire issue...
    No. What I said was, it's up to the person cheated on to decide if the marriage is over, or if it's worth saving. THEIR DECISION. The act of cheating does not end a relationship. The people involved in the relationship decide that after the act has occurred. Their reaction to the behavior of their spouse is what determines if the relationship is over. NOT the cheating.

    It very well could be entirely the behavior of the cheated on spouse that made the cheater cheat. It could be that the wife refuses to have sex with the husband and refuses to give him a divorce. So he cheats. Who the **** knows? The whole point is that relationships are PERSONAL. There is no need for some all encompassing law that requires state involvement and punishment for hurting someone's feelings in a relationship. They are far too complicated and hurt feelings is no justification for incarceration.

  4. #794
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,710

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    No. What I said was, it's up to the person cheated on to decide if the marriage is over, or if it's worth saving. THEIR DECISION. The act of cheating does not end a relationship. The people involved in the relationship decide that after the act has occurred. Their reaction to the behavior of their spouse is what determines if the relationship is over. NOT the cheating.

    It very well could be entirely the behavior of the cheated on spouse that made the cheater cheat. It could be that the wife refuses to have sex with the husband and refuses to give him a divorce. So he cheats. Who the **** knows? The whole point is that relationships are PERSONAL. There is no need for some all encompassing law that requires state involvement and punishment for hurting someone's feelings in a relationship. They are far too complicated and hurt feelings is no justification for incarceration.

    Here we go with the "hurt feelings" misrepresentation again...

    And I love it... I truly love hearing a person say, "that made the cheater cheat."

    ... made the cheater cheat. Really, it's classic. Whatever riv... whatever....
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  5. #795
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,394

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Here we go with the "hurt feelings" misrepresentation again...

    And I love it... I truly love hearing a person say, "that made the cheater cheat."

    ... made the cheater cheat. Really, it's classic. Whatever riv... whatever....
    Well, she does have a point. What would you do if your wife stopped having sex with you and refused to give you a divorce? Would you really become celibate until she finally changes her mind, which could take years?

    I don't think rivrrat meant what she said as an excuse for cheating, but as a possible explanation why someone would feel compelled to cheat.

    Only the two people involved know what's really going on in a marriage. This is why this whole making adultery criminal is such a retarded idea.
    Last edited by Arcana XV; 02-25-09 at 03:05 AM.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  6. #796
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    No, Max. Just, no.

    DIVORCE ruins families. Adultery might ruin, or at the very least severely affect the relationship between the two married partners, but it only ruins the family if they choose to end the marriage as a result. I can't count the number of couples I know who have gotten over adultery for the sake of keeping the family together.
    Wow.. Amazing, just amazing.. And I guess adultery do not lead to divorce?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  7. #797
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    No. What I said was, it's up to the person cheated on to decide if the marriage is over, or if it's worth saving. THEIR DECISION. The act of cheating does not end a relationship. The people involved in the relationship decide that after the act has occurred. Their reaction to the behavior of their spouse is what determines if the relationship is over. NOT the cheating.

    It very well could be entirely the behavior of the cheated on spouse that made the cheater cheat. It could be that the wife refuses to have sex with the husband and refuses to give him a divorce. So he cheats. Who the **** knows? The whole point is that relationships are PERSONAL. There is no need for some all encompassing law that requires state involvement and punishment for hurting someone's feelings in a relationship. They are far too complicated and hurt feelings is no justification for incarceration.
    And it should be their decision if they want to press charges against the person who committed the adultery. Giving them that possibility rather than not, is just fair.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  8. #798
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,394

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Wow.. Amazing, just amazing.. And I guess adultery do not lead to divorce?
    Please read my last sentence again.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  9. #799
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Please read my last sentence again.
    Well I think its retarded that our society just accepts adultery. Its wrong, and you know it. Whats retarded about giving people who have been cheated on the RIGHT to press charges against and have the adulterer punished?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  10. #800
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,394

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Well I think its retarded that our society just accepts adultery. Its wrong, and you know it. Whats retarded about giving people who have been cheated on the RIGHT to press charges against and have the adulterer punished?
    Not THAT sentence. The one in the post you quoted earlier!

    I said that many couples stay together even after one of them cheats. I don't have the statistics for every country, but where I live, adultery is not the main reason people get divorced. In fact, many seek counseling and not divorce after the adultery is discovered.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 80 of 85 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •