View Poll Results: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously! It should carry MMS and strict for 2nd++ offense..

    5 4.55%
  • Yes, jailtime.

    4 3.64%
  • Yah, first fine, then jail, mild jail time.

    1 0.91%
  • Hmm.. Perhaps..

    8 7.27%
  • No..

    90 81.82%
  • Something else(explain).

    7 6.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 69 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 845

Thread: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

  1. #681
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Half the money...

    ...and divorce! Of course, because that is so enjoyable and ends all of the problems associated with the adulterer.

    They get the fun of having to deal with going to courts...
    Worrying about the other person missing deadlines (of course there are consequences, but many dead beats don't care or think about that, furthering the issue)...
    Child custody issues...
    Having the other poison your kid with bad emotions and revenge...
    It goes on and on and for any person that does not actually think about this issue a little deeper should not really comment on it.

    For all the pain and difficulty that an adulterer causes, simply to have sex...
    Well, that person should be put in prison for long time and punished when they are out...

    Those that think that adulterers should be treated so well, or not punished...
    Well, it makes me think that these people are most likely not trustworthy people in the first place...
    How about individuals make better choices when getting married? If you know your spouse truly loves you, you should not have to worry. You guys are advocating risk-free relationships and that's not the way these things work. I realize, by being monogamous, that I may be cheated on.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  2. #682
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,634

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    How about individuals make better choices when getting married? If you know your spouse truly loves you, you should not have to worry. You guys are advocating risk-free relationships and that's not the way these things work. I realize, by being monogamous, that I may be cheated on.

    You can make the best choice in the world.
    Time and wisdom show us that this will not ensure that you will not be cheated on.
    People change... True love can alter for the worse for a number of reasons...
    You may not worry, but you certainly have no insurance that it will not end bad.

    There is no such thing as a risk free relationships, not am I advocating that in the slightest.
    Please keep what I say in perspective and do not attempt to change its context.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  3. #683
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You can make the best choice in the world.
    Time and wisdom show us that this will not ensure that you will not be cheated on.
    People change... True love can alter for the worse for a number of reasons...
    You may not worry, but you certainly have no insurance that it will not end bad.
    Agreed, but love is risky business. you have to put yourself out there and hope that people do not crush you.

    There is no such thing as a risk free relationships, not am I advocating that in the slightest.
    Please keep what I say in perspective and do not attempt to change its context.

    Deal.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  4. #684
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,634

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Agreed, but love is risky business. you have to put yourself out there and hope that people do not crush you.


    Deal.
    Cool.

    Love is risky, and that is why... if you get crushed, the "crusher" gets punished. Prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  5. #685
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Ron View Post
    I understand what you mean. But to be clear, I feel that the laws are flawed in their current state. And to add an amendment to the law making adultery a jailable offense in a divorce trial seems barbaric and twisted to me. In my opinion we live in a society where "family law" is still subject to a court system that favors women over men.
    Just because things sucks at the moment, doesn't mean we shouldn't change things. For example if laws are flawed, that shouldn't mean we should not add logical laws.

    Would it not be logical that the party cheated on in a marriage gets the right to press charges against the cheater?

    -If a woman cheats on a man..(same with a man, except children).

    Why should she get 50% of the money?(or loose a tiny slice because of adultery)
    Why should she get main custody over the children?

    It would certainly be logic that the party who ruined the relationship should not have main custody over the children, just like it is logical that she gets punished for ruining the family(taken into consideration the man would not press charges if they worked it out).
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #686
    Student Radical Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL USA
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Just because things sucks at the moment, doesn't mean we shouldn't change things. For example if laws are flawed, that shouldn't mean we should not add logical laws.

    Would it not be logical that the party cheated on in a marriage gets the right to press charges against the cheater?
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    -If a woman cheats on a man..(same with a man, except children).

    Why should she get 50% of the money?(or loose a tiny slice because of adultery)
    Why should she get main custody over the children?

    It would certainly be logic that the party who ruined the relationship should not have main custody over the children, just like it is logical that she gets punished for ruining the family(taken into consideration the man would not press charges if they worked it out).
    Good points. But I don't think that it's fair or justifiable. I seriously doubt you'd ever get it passed.
    You're despicable! - Daffy Duck

  7. #687
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Cool.

    Love is risky, and that is why... if you get crushed, the "crusher" gets punished. Prison.
    That seems to be a bit over the top. Should people be fined for showing up late to dinner reservations? Jailtime for friends who break promises?
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #688
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 10:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    In divorce if one has evidence that you cheated in your marriage they you should be penalized when it comes to the settlement other than that no.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  9. #689
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    In divorce if one has evidence that you cheated in your marriage they you should be penalized when it comes to the settlement other than that no.
    But thats not reality.. Say the women cheats, then she might miss out on 10-15% of the settlement as a result, but she still gets main custody over the children.
    For a man he would then loose out on 10-15% and not get main custody.

    Thats not punishment for ruining the relationship, and the family.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  10. #690
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    But thats not reality.. Say the women cheats, then she might miss out on 10-15% of the settlement as a result, but she still gets main custody over the children.
    For a man he would then loose out on 10-15% and not get main custody.

    Thats not punishment for ruining the relationship, and the family.
    When you're talking about the kids, it's not a matter of "punishing" a parent by denying them custody. It's a matter of what is best for the children. You don't keep a child from one parent out of spite because someone's feelings got hurt.

Page 69 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •