View Poll Results: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously! It should carry MMS and strict for 2nd++ offense..

    5 4.55%
  • Yes, jailtime.

    4 3.64%
  • Yah, first fine, then jail, mild jail time.

    1 0.91%
  • Hmm.. Perhaps..

    8 7.27%
  • No..

    90 81.82%
  • Something else(explain).

    7 6.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 66 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 845

Thread: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

  1. #651
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You asked a question?

    My bad.

    Idk, I'm open to the idea and would like to see an answer to that myself.

    What happens when both parents are caught in any other jailable offence?
    Usually jailable offenses have a victim. That's why adultery shouldn't be jailable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  2. #652
    Student Radical Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL USA
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Usually jailable offenses have a victim. That's why adultery shouldn't be jailable.
    If anything the adultery trial would victimize people far worse than the actual act of adultery.

  3. #653
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Ron View Post
    If anything the adultery trial would victimize people far worse than the actual act of adultery.
    We should jail people who participate in adultery trials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  4. #654
    Student Radical Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL USA
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    209

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    We should jail people who participate in adultery trials.
    Yes! New Poll. Should people who believe in making adultery a jailable offense be put in jail! lol.

  5. #655
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,694

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The license itself doesn't state that you have next-of-kin status either.
    Again that is civil law, not criminal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    My diver's license, the license itself, doesn't say what side of the road I have to drive on either.
    It does not have to as it is a separate law. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

    Before you are given a license to drive you must go through training and become familiar with the laws of the road.

    This cannot be said for marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    When you look at the regulation on the license, you see all the various rules thereof.

    My point here is to direct you away from looking only to the actual license, and to open yourself up to the existing regulation of that license to get an accurate view.
    It does not apply to a marriage license as I have shown above.

    Marriage is again a civil contract and covered under civil law, period. The drivers license and breaches of that license are criminal and can be civil if physical damage is involved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's a whole other thread all by itself.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I didn't go there.

    They are both licenses and that is why my analogy applies.

    I didn't argue that they were both rights. If you want to use only licenses for things which are rights then I can bring in my CCW and make the same argument. If you really need me to waste a post doing so then please let me know.
    The state can take away, manage and otherwise put any restrictions on something that is a privilege like drivers licenses. The state cannot do that to rights. Now they do reserve the right to take rights away in the case of criminal felony's and military service.

    So I am asking do you want to make marriage a privilege? Rather than a inalienable right?


    No Lives Matter

  6. #656
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Usually jailable offenses have a victim.
    Spouse, children, and any applicable public assistance.

    There I just listed 3 victims off the top of my head.

    ...and that's not including any children born from adultery....or any public assistance a 3rd party mother would need to take care of that child...

    There's 5 victimizations from a single act of adultery, of which the state is hit twice.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    That's why adultery shouldn't be jailable.
    Well, now according to your logic adultery should be a jailable offence.

  7. #657
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Spouse, children, and any applicable public assistance.

    There I just listed 3 victims off the top of my head.

    ...and that's not including any children born from adultery....or any public assistance a 3rd party mother would need to take care of that child...

    There's 5 victimizations from a single act of adultery, of which the state is hit twice.



    Well, now according to your logic adultery should be a jailable offence.
    The children don't need to know. The spouse doesn't always find out.
    If I can get money I'll let my wife cheat on me tonight.

    Adultery is just a lie. Everyone lies. It doesn't cost you anything. You don't have to break up a family over adultery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  8. #658
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Again that is civil law, not criminal.
    You are off point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I know I am coming into this late but a marriage license does not state anyplace if you have sex with someone else it breaches the contract. Now adultery is acceptable terms for divorce, but it is a civil matter, not criminal. This is how it should be.
    The license itself doesn't state that you have next-of-kin status either.

    My driverís license, the license itself, doesn't say what side of the road I have to drive on either
    .
    You were basing your argument off of the text of the single piece of paper: the literal, physical license itself. You were excluding in toto all the regulation on marriage, none of which is codified on the single piece of paper you based your argument on.

    My point was to show that rules not literally, physically listed on the actual license itself still apply.

    Nothing in my rebuttal to that point has anything to do, whatsoever, with what kind of law we are speaking of.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It does not have to as it is a separate law. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
    I have no idea what this comment is supposed to pertain to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Before you are given a license to drive you must go through training and become familiar with the laws of the road.

    This cannot be said for marriage.
    Again, this does not negate the fact that rules exist which are not listed on the single piece of paper composing the license itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Marriage is again a civil contract and covered under civil law, period. The drivers license and breaches of that license are criminal and can be civil if physical damage is involved.
    We know what is.

    We are discussing if it should become something else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The state can take away, manage and otherwise put any restrictions on something that is a privilege like drivers licenses. The state cannot do that to rights. Now they do reserve the right to take rights away in the case of criminal felony's and military service.
    The state takes away the right to keep and carry when you commit a felony, so I know that your argument here is false.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So I am asking do you want to make marriage a privilege? Rather than a inalienable right?
    I do not support making adultery a criminal offence.

    I'm open to the possibility and am exploring it.

    The questions I have quoted from your post here do not serve that end, so I choose to ignore them.

  9. #659
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    The children don't need to know. The spouse doesn't always find out.
    If I can get money I'll let my wife cheat on me tonight.

    Adultery is just a lie. Everyone lies. It doesn't cost you anything. You don't have to break up a family over adultery.
    There I go assuming everyone is keeping up with context again Silly me

    Well if no one ever finds out then I guess we don't have anything to discuss, at all, on this thread. I mean, if no one finds out then how is it even a Civil matter?

  10. #660
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Spouse,
    yes, their feelings are hurt. That's not a jailable offense last time I checked. Its a civil matter.

    children,
    this has already been covered. Adultery doesn't cause the problems for kids, neglect does. If your spouse cheats you are not obligated to neglect your kids.

    and any applicable public assistance.
    how so? Once again, adultery doesn't require divorce. Its divorce that would cause damage to this "public assistance" if such damages even exist, which I don't believe it does because

    1) you don't sign an agreement with the gov't explicitly defining such damages

    2) Benefits are revoked upon divorce.

    ...and that's not including any children born from adultery...
    what about them? Sounds like a civil matter once again. Its no different than unmarried couple having a child. For some reason you are obsessed with the belief that having a ceremony and signing a piece of paper automatically makes one have better kids. This is an abstraction from the real problem: that kids require parental attention and guidance. Such doesn't magically appear just because you are unmarried or married because marriage does not enforce such behavior. The reason why kids suffer more in broken homes has nothing to do with whether the parents signed a piece of paper or had a marriage ceremony so such an illogical conclusion is a petty attempt to use fallacious reasoning that correlation equals causation for neglect of children.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 66 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •