View Poll Results: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously! It should carry MMS and strict for 2nd++ offense..

    5 4.55%
  • Yes, jailtime.

    4 3.64%
  • Yah, first fine, then jail, mild jail time.

    1 0.91%
  • Hmm.. Perhaps..

    8 7.27%
  • No..

    90 81.82%
  • Something else(explain).

    7 6.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 56 of 85 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 845

Thread: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

  1. #551
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    You are saying that cheating caused murder. As if the murderer didn't have a choice in the matter. The responsibility lies with the murderer, not the cheater.
    Do you then believe that people are able to make consistant rational decisions in a damaged state?

    Not advocating murdering someone over cheating, but I don't know that I would be able to fully hold someone accountable for an act of outrage over... well... an outrageous act?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  2. #552
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Littleton, Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-21-15 @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,036

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Thanks. I see the need in the military for this. I don't think that translates to civilian life very well though.
    It's an organizational thing. The military is an organization seperated from the rest. So is At&T or Dodge or Time Warner Cable. If a Marine's job performance is hindered within the Platoon because there's this big ugly monster in the room, then certainly the job performance of civilians can be hindered in the same manner. A co-worker, who has had an affair with your wife, would certainly be cast out by some, leading to an inability to work together or achieve goals easily.

    I don't know about it being a "law," but it is certainly an organizational concern.
    Last edited by MSgt; 02-16-09 at 01:16 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  3. #553
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    You said it was beyond your comprehension. This means you haven't used logic to arrive at your stance. That only leaves emotion.
    It may be emotion.

    I suppose (after giving a bit more thought) I don't see cheating as an act that should be rewarded.

    I only hold this position in the occurance of a married party cheating. A boyfriend or a girlfriend is not under contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  4. #554
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,689

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    Do you then believe that people are able to make consistant rational decisions in a damaged state?

    Not advocating murdering someone over cheating, but I don't know that I would be able to fully hold someone accountable for an act of outrage over... well... an outrageous act?
    People murder over losing their job. The fact is, these people weren't stable to begin with. Any number of things could have sent them over the edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  5. #555
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,689

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    It may be emotion.

    I suppose (after giving a bit more thought) I don't see cheating as an act that should be rewarded.

    I only hold this position in the occurance of a married party cheating. A boyfriend or a girlfriend is not under contract.
    And this is dealt with through divorce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  6. #556
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    Murder, psychosis, should I go on? The reaction to adultery is often times quite detrimental to one or more parties involved.
    I think you've seen too many movies.

    Many, many people in this country are cheated upon and do not kill their significant other or go insane. Yea, it sucks and it hurts mentally for most but so do a lot of things in life. Being picked on, or called names, and all other things that are mentally damaging have similiar results.

    On a side not: being cheated on when in a marriage is no different than being cheated on outside of marriage. The pain and hurt caused by such an experience isn't unique to marriage. Nothing magical occurs just because you sign a piece of paper and have a ceremony. Though, granted it is probably easier to argue that a marriage implies monogamy where a relationship does not in a court.
    Nonetheless this tangent begs the question: if you argue that adultery should be. Criminal because of the mental anguish it causes then you must also agree that all deceitful acts that cause mental anguish should also be criminal. That is, it is a non-sequitur why adultery is so narrowly targeted.

    'tis why I think it should be in the contract. At the moment it is not specifically noted.
    Not noted? Its actually not there at all. Though some states do take infidelity into consideration if monetary or custody disagreements go to court.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  7. #557
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,689

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    It's an organizational thing. The military is an organization seperated from the rest. So is At&T or Dodge or Time Warner Cable. If a Marine's job performance is hindered within the Platoon because there's this big ugly monster in the room, then certainly the job performance of civilians can be hindered in the same manner. A co-worker, who has had an affair with your wife, would certainly be cast out by some, leading to an inability to work together or achieve goals easily.

    I don't know about it being a "law," but it is certainly an organizational concern.
    I understand. I would mark the difference is that in the military you put your life in others' hands. That's why I see the need for punishment. Of course, I see that they aren't jailing anyone for it. They handle it reasonably.

    Many companies do have fraternization policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  8. #558
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    And this is dealt with through divorce.
    Divorce is a punishment? I suppose if you are the one that is upholding your end of the contract it is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  9. #559
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    In the absence of marriage, there is no assumption of monogamy.

    It is imposable to cheat on a boy/girl friend.

    ***
    In light of some recent arguments, I’m re-thinking my position. The state is a signing party in the marriage, so if another party breaches the license, doesn’t the state suffer damage? If so, that’s a ‘criminal offence’. It would be easy to add up the costs in government assistances and juvenile crime and call these damages to the state.

    In offering jail time as deterrence, the state does have a compelling interest in that marriage for the upbringing of children…..hmmm….
    Wouldn't that in effect outlaw all divorces since they are all breaches of said license?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  10. #560
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    .

    Not noted? Its actually not there at all. Though some states do take infidelity into consideration if monetary or custody disagreements go to court.
    Wouldnt that be the same thing? It is not noted... as in it is not there... blah. nevermind.

    Like I said, I believe it should be a part of a manogamous contract. Which marriage at the moment is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

Page 56 of 85 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •