View Poll Results: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously! It should carry MMS and strict for 2nd++ offense..

    5 4.55%
  • Yes, jailtime.

    4 3.64%
  • Yah, first fine, then jail, mild jail time.

    1 0.91%
  • Hmm.. Perhaps..

    8 7.27%
  • No..

    90 81.82%
  • Something else(explain).

    7 6.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 42 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 845

Thread: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

  1. #411
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Who gives a ****?? I don't care about your personal life and I never will because this a forum about debating issues, not how Max Z lives his life.. Even if you were a hypocrite it has no bearing on the validity of your claims.

    Who gives a ****? This does NOTHING to support your position. I don't care about your personal life, I care about your arguments. And so far your personal life gives not legitimacy to your claims. Please debate rationally.
    Sure. I have been doing it all through this thread and will continue to do so when I return.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #412
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I am.. I just said that it would be completely okay if I was jailed for adultery. Showing my broad and unbias support in favor of criminalizing it.

    If I was married I would never cheat on my wife, I would actually never cheat on anyone if they so were just a short term girlfriend. Id rather divorce/dump and then go with the other women if I had so strong lusts for her.
    So you would break a woman's heart... devastate her emotionally... cause her undue pain and suffering... by divorcing/dumping her? You should be jailed for such a thing! Causing someone else pain of ANY kind should be a jail-able offense!

    I mean... right?

  3. #413
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I sue for primary custody, this causes their mother pain. This is in their best interest because of the people she has living in that house.
    Their mother's emotions shouldn't even be a consideration. All that matters is the best interest of your kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Filling divorce caused her pain, so you don't support filling for divorce.
    You know that isn't what I said. I specifically said that your self respect was a valid reason. You have every right to want to cause her pain Jerry. I don't blame you one bit. Your feelings are valid. In my experience, it's a fruitless endeavor. You will never be able to cause her the pain she has caused you. In order to do that, she has to care about you. She obviously doesn't care about you as much as you care about her. That's why she cheated and you didn't. She's moved on. You won't be able to live rent-free in her head as she has yours. IMO, it's best to cut your losses and concentrate on your children and moving on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I hurt her when I didn't trust her with sole access to our joint tax return, and started walking away from filling until *I* had sole access. There were no insults, no names, and no raised voices. Simply not trusting her is what hurt her.
    She shouldn't have felt hurt. You had no reason to trust her. She was hurt by the loss of money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    My emotional motivation there was to not allow her to walk all over me again, not revenge.
    And you have accomplished that. She can't cheat on you anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You don't support my standing firm, though, because it hurt her feelings, just as you don't support my filing on her for the same reason.
    You are being emotional. It's understandable. I do support you standing firm. I'm not trying to cause you grief. I'm trying to help you not waste energy on caring about her feelings. You will never cause her the pain that you feel. You were betrayed in the worst way. You didn't deserve it. You can't cause her undeserved pain. She won't have the confusion as to why that I am sure you had. She'll know exactly why. She'll see it as revenge, deserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  4. #414
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Nah, its not important.. You just misunderstood what I said and than used the simplest way of responding to it, rather than responding to what I actually said. Not important, I had a long day at work, dont want to cycle back in last posts and show you the context. Sorry.
    That's a cop out.

    What I'll do is assume you refuse to formulate the response because you are incapable of formulating it, not because you are unwilling to formulate it.




    So you agree adultery must be prevented by the extent the state can prevent it? by criminalizing it? not just to prevent adultery but all the destructive behaviour and results that follow?
    Of course not.

    If the fact that those destructive behaviors are ALREADY crimes in and of themselves is not enough to prevent them, how does making something else a crime prevent them?

    And since we're already on the topic, if the fact that these things are crimes does not prevent these crimes, what makes you think they will prevent adultery? And even if it prevents X amount of instances, how can you be sure that it would prevent even a single instance that would eventually lead to these destructive behaviors?


    Lets say 1% of adultery cases end up with these destructive behaviors you speak of.

    Now lets say that making adultery a crime would prevent 96% of all the adultery cases in a society.

    that STILL doesn't mean that a single violent crime would be prevented, even if we assume the adultery not occurring would have prevented the crime because hypothetically, every single instance of destructive behavior, violence or murder, could fall within that 4% of unpreventable adultery cases.

    You are trying to argue for a hypothetical you can't even be sure would occur without a single shred of evidence to suggest it even would have teh rates of efficacy I suggested in my example above.

    If anything, it probably wouldn't have an effect at all because people who cheat don't THINK about the ramifications as evidenced by the fact that cheating in and of itself assumes that you won;t get caught because there are ALREADY ramifications that exist.

    In order to prove that making adultery a criminal offense would prevent murder and violence against adulterers, you must FIRT show that it woudl prevent adultery.

    Have at it. I anxiously await some EVIDENCE of this view.

    Because all you've given so far is your opinion of how you HOPE it would work.

    But as the old saying goes, hope in one hand **** in the other and see which one fills up faster.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #415
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well hold on, individual private citizens do not press criminal charges. They never did.

    The State presses criminal charges.

    If adultery became a criminal offence it would by definition become an offence against the State.

    So you should be asking why the State would want to make adultery a criminal act.
    This particular interchange between us came when you responded to me regarding my response to Max on the following question:

    If you had the possibility of pressing charges against that women and have her jailed for a short time, would you have done it?
    Thus, I responded about the possibility of pressing charges, meaning the law was changed to the point that pressing charges were included in the law.

    So therefore, your above response is pretty irrelevant to my points.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 02-11-09 at 07:07 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #416
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Their mother's emotions shouldn't even be a consideration. All that matters is the best interest of your kids.

    You know that isn't what I said. I specifically said that your self respect was a valid reason. You have every right to want to cause her pain Jerry. I don't blame you one bit. Your feelings are valid. In my experience, it's a fruitless endeavor. You will never be able to cause her the pain she has caused you. In order to do that, she has to care about you. She obviously doesn't care about you as much as you care about her. That's why she cheated and you didn't. She's moved on. You won't be able to live rent-free in her head as she has yours. IMO, it's best to cut your losses and concentrate on your children and moving on.

    She shouldn't have felt hurt. You had no reason to trust her. She was hurt by the loss of money.

    [......]

    You are being emotional. It's understandable. I do support you standing firm. I'm not trying to cause you grief. I'm trying to help you not waste energy on caring about her feelings. You will never cause her the pain that you feel. You were betrayed in the worst way. You didn't deserve it. You can't cause her undeserved pain. She won't have the confusion as to why that I am sure you had. She'll know exactly why. She'll see it as revenge, deserved.
    It's like you're trying to be one of those physics that makes general statements and reads into your subjects responses instead of knowing the actual truth.

    I recommend you take a different career. Not only are you off the mark in putting words in my mouth, your feigned sympathy holds no voice with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    [....]
    And you have accomplished that. She can't cheat on you anymore.
    [.....]
    You're wrong there.

    She's cheating on me now. She will be cheating on me with any boyfriend she ever has. This is a tangent to the discussion but worth pointing out.

    The secular municipal vow said "until death", not "until divorce". Adding to that the religious rules we were married under, the permanency of the union is quite clear.

  7. #417
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    So you would break a woman's heart... devastate her emotionally... cause her undue pain and suffering... by divorcing/dumping her? You should be jailed for such a thing! Causing someone else pain of ANY kind should be a jail-able offense!

    I mean... right?
    Even if there is no adultery I think there should be a hefty divorse tax to help compensate for society damage

    and to make people take marriage more seriously and not just jump in it with the attitude "I can just upgrade later"

    or simply exchange their spouse for a new one every five years.

    (I am stating this even though I was lucky enough to be one of the most popular in my school, and am lucky enough to be attractive to many woman)

  8. #418
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    This particular interchange between us came when you responded to me regarding my response to Max on the following question:

    Thus, I responded about the possibility of pressing charges, meaning the law was changed to the point that pressing charges were included in the law.

    So therefore, your above response is pretty irrelevant to my points.
    You CAN press charges, just not criminal charges.

    If you could press criminal charges you would be a prosecutor, and in that event you would be obliged to follow the law and the decision to charge or not charge would not be yours.

  9. #419
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's like you're trying to be one of those physics that makes general statements and reads into your subjects responses instead of knowing the actual truth.

    I recommend you take a different career. Not only are you off the mark in putting words in my mouth, your feigned sympathy holds no voice with me.
    Jerry, I like you. I don't know why you think that I am feigning sympathy for you. I don't feign sympathy for anyone. I am not a psychologist nor a psychiatrist. I don't think it's fair for you to characterize my concern this way. You can tell me I am wrong. You can disregard what I say. But I ask you not to impugn my integrity here. I am sincere about what I said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're wrong there.

    She's cheating on me now. She will be cheating on me with any boyfriend she ever has. This is a tangent to the discussion but worth pointing out.

    The secular municipal vow said "until death", not "until divorce". Adding to that the religious rules we were married under, the permanency of the union is quite clear.
    So you didn't ask for the divorce then?

    I'm sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  10. #420
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You CAN press charges, just not criminal charges.

    If you could press criminal charges you would be a prosecutor, and in that event you would be obliged to follow the law and the decision to charge or not charge would not be yours.
    Let me quote the initial qustion for a third time. Please take the time to read ALL of it

    But since the question was specifically:
    If you had the possibility of pressing charges against that women and have her jailed for a short time, would you have done it?
    Obviously your continued attempts to turn this into a discussion of civil law is just trolling. Please stop.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 42 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •