View Poll Results: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously! It should carry MMS and strict for 2nd++ offense..

    5 4.55%
  • Yes, jailtime.

    4 3.64%
  • Yah, first fine, then jail, mild jail time.

    1 0.91%
  • Hmm.. Perhaps..

    8 7.27%
  • No..

    90 81.82%
  • Something else(explain).

    7 6.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 33 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 845

Thread: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

  1. #321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    it counters certain aspects but not all. It shows that a man who is married commits adultery if he has sex with another married woman, or a woman who is divorced. That's all. There is quite a few more instances that this leaves open. Where are those closed?

    Of course.
    If nothing else, the sources I gave from Matthew seal it up.

  2. #322
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    The courts don't punish murderers for the mental anguish caused to their loved ones, that is for civil court.

    I've got no qualms with people suing their cheating spouses in civil court for lost job income or other compensation due to mental anguish.

    Point refuted. Anything else?
    This is on the same plane as to the moral damage drugs do and all the crime spiraled off it......got clue yet?
    Last edited by creativedreams; 02-11-09 at 03:24 PM.

  3. #323
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    The mental stress and damage this causes to many people is in direct relation to many, many crimes and murders....got clue?
    You got stats to back that claim up? That adultery is a direct cause of violent crimes to others? And, anything to explain how one person committing adultery forces someone else to commit a crime?

  4. #324
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Funny how most parts of the world sees marriage as more of a legal child rearing bond than the west. Here it is becoming more and more a business transaction and most children are being raised without one of their blood parents
    Marriage has nothing to do with parental responsibility.

    If you spawn, you are responsible for the individuals which you spawn.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #325
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Edit: if we open pandoras box and punish people for causing mental anguish to others then where do we draw the line? If I'm upset because you didn't invite me over can I put you in jail? If a girl won't date me anymore can I put her in jail? Gets a bit absurd don't you think?
    law.com Law Dictionary

    n. mental suffering which includes fright, feelings of distress, anxiety, depression, grief and/or psychosomatic physical symptoms. It is distinguished from physical pain due to an injury, but it may be considered in awarding damages for physical injury due to a defendant's negligence or intentional infliction of harm.

    Where there is no physical injury, damages can still be awarded for mental anguish if it is reasonable to presume such would naturally flow from the incident. Examples: holding a pistol to one's head, any threat of bodily harm when it appears it could be carried out, swinging with a scythe even though the assailant missed, or witnessing injury or death to a loved one.

    There are also situations in which the obvious result of the alleged wrongdoing would be mental distress due to embarrassment or damage to one's reputation through libel, and therefore damages can be awarded to the distressed party.

    However, there are limits: in general, breach of contract judgments cannot include damages for mental anguish due to the loss of a deal or employment. But then there is the case of the shop which failed to deliver the bridal gown in time for the wedding-mental anguish flows naturally (along with the bride's tears) from such a breach.
    See also: damages mental suffering
    The pandoras box has been open for a long, long time.

  6. #326
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Hmm, tell my boys and my extended family that my wife's adultery was only a breach of a contract: "Oh, mommy broke a strictly legal contract and has absolutely no effect on you at all, in anyway what-so-ever".
    While this is sad, and I truly do feel for you and your family. I wish you the best in this regard.

    But unfortunately it really means absolutely nothing in regards to the law, which is what the point I made pertains to.

    Never mind the credible research demonstrating that children are worse off in single parent homes. Never mind that statistics showing that they are more likely to be abused sexually, physically and emotionally by mommy’s boyfriends.
    This has nothing to do with adultery. It relates to divorce. Are you arguing for criminalizing divorce?

    No no, Tucker says none of this exists, so it must be true because he said so; and Tucker is always right, just ask him, he'll tell you.
    I can cite numerous posts of mine where I admit that I have made an error and retracted an argument. If someone can show me logically or legally the stance I hold is incorrect, I do this all the time.

    Most recently I made this type of retraction with Sir Loin in an argument about Rush Limbaugh.

    I'm not sure where this particular comment is coming from, Jerry. Can you please explain it to me?

    Adultery destroys the family, the destruction of the family harms everyone immediately involved directly and society by proxy and that is why it is wrong.
    So does my example of verbal abuse. And a child is more likely to be aware of one spouse acting in a verbally abusing manner than they would be of infidelity because they are much more likely to directly witness verbal abuse.

    It's not my morality; it's not your morality, its objective truth which, yes, does actually exist.
    Lets assume this is true.

    How is adultery worse than verbally denigrating one's spouse (which is legal)? They have similar ramifications, they both destroy the family etc.

    Although there is one REMARKABLE difference between the two.

    Although adultery is a purely selfish behavior, it is typically not a malicious behavior committed with the intent to cause harm. Whereas verbal abuse is ALWAYS a malicious behavior meant to inflict HARM on the other person.

    Why is it that adultery, a non-malicious act, which indeed has victims, but only incidental victims, is being treated as though it is worse than a malicious act that has a direct and intended victims as well as incidental victims.

    Common sense indicates that malicious actions are worse than non-malicious actions.

    The discussion here is not "Is adultery a bad thing" it's should it be a criminal offense. Obviously when I make a comment in this context, I make it in the legal sense. i.e. "Legally speaking, Adultery is simply a breech of contract. No more, no less."

    I didn't necessarily place the term "Legally speaking" into my post since I gathered that it would be assumed by those who read the post since the topic of the thread, the arguments made in that post, and the comments I made regarding the immorality of adultery as well as the comparison to verbal abuse would suggest that the legal sense is what I meant by the comment.

    I'm sorry I didn't make it clearer for you.

    Your argument is born of gross ignorance and utter denial of documented facts. I can't address it comprehensively as I would have to start with basic sociological concepts which I neither have the time or patents to type nor the casual reader to digest.
    How unfortunate that you refuse to make a case to support your claims. If I am ignorant then, please, educate me.

    You couldn't be more wrong, Tucker. Adultery is so much more than a simple breach of a contract.
    Not legally speaking, which was my point. Which is why I made the comparison to an equally vile and disgusting action that is actually protected by the first amendment.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 02-11-09 at 03:35 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #327
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    You got stats to back that claim up? That adultery is a direct cause of violent crimes to others? And, anything to explain how one person committing adultery forces someone else to commit a crime?
    Isn't it in the news everyday about a married couples murder/suicide because of another lover?
    Last edited by creativedreams; 02-11-09 at 03:33 PM.

  8. #328
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The pandoras box has been open for a long, long time.
    Those damages are monetary, not criminal. HUGE difference in the eyes of the law, Jerry.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #329
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,394

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Isn't it in the news everyday about a married couples murder/suicide because of another lover?
    And adultery is always the reason?

    nm missed your edit...


    That said, everyone is responsible for their own actions. If someone cheats on you and your only response is to kill either yourself or your significant other (married or not) then I'd say you have bigger problems than just being cheated on.

    As many people have already stated in this thread, life goes on, pick yourself back up and get over it.
    Last edited by Arcana XV; 02-11-09 at 03:40 PM.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  10. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    While this is sad, and I truly do feel for you and your family. I wish you the best in this regard.

    But unfortunately it really means absolutely nothing in regards to the law, which is what the point I made pertains to.

    This has nothing to do with adultery. It relates to divorce. Are you arguing for criminalizing divorce?

    I can cite numerous posts of mine where I admit that I have made an error and retracted an argument. If someone can show me logically or legally the stance I hold is incorrect, I do this all the time.

    Most recently I made this type of retraction with Sir Loin in an argument about Rush Limbaugh.

    I'm not sure where this particular comment is coming from, Jerry. Can you please explain it to me?

    So does my example of verbal abuse. And a child is more likely to be aware of one spouse acting in a verbally abusing manner than they would be of infidelity because they are much more likely to directly witness verbal abuse.

    Lets assume this is true.

    How is adultery worse than verbally denigrating one's spouse (which is legal)? They have similar ramifications, they both destroy the family etc.

    Although there is one REMARKABLE difference between the two.

    Although adultery is a purely selfish behavior, it is typically not a malicious behavior committed with the intent to cause harm. Whereas verbal abuse is ALWAYS a malicious behavior meant to inflict HARM on the other person.

    Why is it that adultery, a non-malicious act, which indeed has victims, but only incidental victims, is being treated as though it is worse than a malicious act that has a direct and intended victims as well as incidental victims.

    Common sense indicates that malicious actions are worse than non-malicious actions.

    The discussion here is not "Is adultery a bad thing" it's should it be a criminal offense. Obviously when I make a comment in this context, I make it in the legal sense. i.e. "Legally speaking, Adultery is simply a breech of contract. No more, no less."

    I didn't necessarily place the term "Legally speaking" into my post since I gathered that it would be assumed by those who read the post since the topic of the thread, the arguments made in that post, and the comments I made regarding the immorality of adultery as well as the comparison to verbal abuse would suggest that the legal sense is what I meant by the comment.

    I'm sorry I didn't make it clearer for you.

    How unfortunate that you refuse to make a case to support your claims. If I am ignorant then, please, educate me.

    Not legally speaking, which was my point. Which is why I made the comparison to an equally vile and disgusting action that is actually protected by the first amendment.
    While I take some time to cool off from you having just called my children "incidental victims", please understand that verbally denigrating your spouse is abuse and is illegal.

    You truly do not know what you’re talking about.

Page 33 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •