View Poll Results: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously! It should carry MMS and strict for 2nd++ offense..

    5 4.55%
  • Yes, jailtime.

    4 3.64%
  • Yah, first fine, then jail, mild jail time.

    1 0.91%
  • Hmm.. Perhaps..

    8 7.27%
  • No..

    90 81.82%
  • Something else(explain).

    7 6.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 30 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 845

Thread: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

  1. #291
    Student Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    02-25-09 @ 10:26 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    It would be up to the person cheated on to press charges and provide evidence.. How many people do you think would actually do that? How many people do you think would not use such a right if adultery was made illegal?

    I think WELL over 50% would use their new rights when cheated on, gather some evidence and press charges.

    It wouldnt be such a huge caseload as you figure.
    It would be a staggering caseload that would devastate our already over-burdened, slow and inefficient legal process system.

    But that's not my primary reason to objecting to criminalizing adultery.
    Caucasian male - the new minority
    Fiscally conservative, socially moderate.

  2. #292
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I think that it is utterly pthetic that upwards of 80% of those polled here think that adultery NOT be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime. It is indicative of the lack of morals and values that Western Society has embraced.
    False. Not thinking that Adultery is a criminal offense =/= a lack of morals and values.


    COMMITING adultery means a lack of morals and values.


    There is a clear and distinct difference here. One can easily find adultery immoral while not believing it is an offense punishable by incarceration.

    An example of a related concept is someone repeatedly calling there spouse a "worthless pile of dog****". In my opinion, this is proof that the person making the comment lacks morals or values.

    But, me not thinking it should be illegal and punishable by incarceration to repeatedly call one's spouse a "worthless pile of dog****" is not evidence that I approve of committing the action or find it moral.



    The fallacy you are engaging in here is that you are trying to suggest a causal factor in the results without anything but loose correlational data and subjective interpretation. It also fails to note that Breech of Contract is NOT a criminal offense. The only most severe penalties regarding breech of contract are monetary in nature.


    So, the question being posed is not "Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by Jail time" it is "Should breech of marriage contract be a criminal offense"

    This is asinine to the extreme.

    The question asks that the marriage contract be treated differently than ALL other contracts.

    All adultery can ever be is a breech of the marriage contract. No more, no less. It is no worse than verbally degrading one's partner incessently to produce the grounds for cruelty, but verbal abuse is no crime as it is protected under the first ammendemnt. But verbal abuse has just as many, if not MORE, negative emotional ramifications and is just as immoral as adultery does.

    One does not gain "morality" by forcing it upon otehrs through laws and other coercive methods. One is moral if they themselves do not engage in despicable behaviors such as verbal abuse or adultery.

    Redefining contract law to make breech of contract a criminal offense just to enforce one's own morality would create a very dangerous precedent.

    You are assuming incorrectly, based on no actual evcidence besides what you have effectively invented on your own, that answering "no" to the question implies or reflects a lack of morality.

    Had the question been: "Should there be an increase in monetary damages awaerded to the injurder party when a divorce is caused by adultery" then I would have said "Yes. It is a breech of contract and thus, contract law stipulates that an award for monetary dmages should be rendered".


    The assumption it reflects a lack of morality to say that adultery should not be a criminal offense is absolutely incorrect.

    Now if you want to argue that contract law should be altered in general so that ALL breeches of contract should be potential criminal offenses, that would be another issue entirely.

    Because that is the ONLY way to intelligently argue that Adultery should be a criminal act, and it would require a complete top to bottom reformation of contract law.

    I suppose that one could also argue that laaws regarding breach of the marriage contract alone should be reformed so that it is treated as a criminal offense.

    But it should be noted that such a reformation would create a first ammendment issue given the verbal abuse example I have described above, as well as create a dangerous precednet based on other potential breeches of the marriage contract/ marital vows relating to "Honor, cherish and obey" or whatever terms are used in the vow exchange.

    Imagine a world were any person who is in the heat of the moment during an argument with their spouse and says the word "bitch" or "asshole" can be tried and prosecuted for breech of contract.

    Happy times!
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 02-11-09 at 11:08 AM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #293
    Student Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    02-25-09 @ 10:26 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    False. Not thinking that Adultery is a criminal offense =/= a lack of morals and values.


    COMMITING adultery means a lack of morals and values.


    There is a clear and distinct difference here. One can easily find adultery immoral while not believing it is an offense punishable by incarceration.

    An example of a related concept is someone repeatedly calling there spouse a "worthless pile of dog****". In my opinion, this is proof that the person making the comment lacks morals or values.

    But, me not thinking it should be illegal and punishable by incarceration to repeatedly call one's spouse a "worthless pile of dog****" is not evidence that I approve of committing the action or find it moral.



    The fallacy you are engaging in here is that you are trying to suggest a causal factor in the results without anything but loose correlational data and subjective interpretation. It also fails to note that Breech of Contract is NOT a criminal offense. The only most severe penalties regarding breech of contract are monetary in nature.


    So, the question being posed is not "Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by Jail time" it is "Should breech of marriage contract be a criminal offense"

    This is asinine to the extreme.

    The question asks that the marriage contract be treated differently than ALL other contracts.

    All adultery can ever be is a breech of the marriage contract. No more, no less. It is no worse than verbally degrading one's partner incessently to produce the grounds for cruelty, but verbal abuse is no crime as it is protected under the first ammendemnt. But verbal abuse has just as many, if not MORE, negative emotional ramifications and is just as immoral as adultery does.

    One does not gain "morality" by forcing it upon otehrs through laws and other coercive methods. One is moral if they themselves do not engage in despicable behaviors such as verbal abuse or adultery.

    Redefining contract law to make breech of contract a criminal offense just to enforce one's own morality would create a very dangerous precedent.

    You are assuming incorrectly, based on no actual evcidence besides what you have effectively invented on your own, that answering "no" to the question implies or reflects a lack of morality.

    Had the question been: "Should there be an increase in monetary damages awaerded to the injurder party when a divorce is caused by adultery" then I would have said "Yes. It is a breech of contract and thus, contract law stipulates that an award for monetary dmages should be rendered".


    The assumption it reflects a lack of morality to say that adultery should not be a criminal offense is absolutely incorrect.

    Now if you want to argue that contract law should be altered in general so that ALL breeches of contract should be potential criminal offenses, that would be another issue entirely.

    Because that is the ONLY way to intelligently argue that Adultery should be a criminal act, and it would require a complete top to bottom reformation of contract law.

    I suppose that one could also argue that laaws regarding breach of the marriage contract alone should be reformed so that it is treated as a criminal offense.

    But it should be noted that such a reformation would create a first ammendment issue given the verbal abuse example I have described above, as well as create a dangerous precednet based on other potential breeches of the marriage contract/ marital vows relating to "Honor, cherish and obey" or whatever terms are used in the vow exchange.

    Imagine a world were any person who is in the heat of the moment during an argument with their spouse and says the word "bitch" or "asshole" can be tried and prosecuted for breech of contract.

    Happy times!
    Caucasian male - the new minority
    Fiscally conservative, socially moderate.

  4. #294
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,422
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Yes... Perhaps you should actually read the bible and then study our modern society..
    Did you ever stop and think, MZ ?
    Possibly this gentleman has read the Bible, as I have, but we ,I'm guessing here, of course, have become disillusioned..
    Its far better that man reads literature than is more up to date..and pertinent to today's world..

  5. #295
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,394

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    I voted no. No way do I want government to interfere in my private affairs even more than it already does.

    Just a question to those who think it's a great idea:

    Who's gonna take care of Mommy and/or the kids while Daddy rots in prison for a few months?

    All you're going to accomplish by making adultery illegal is an initial massive surge in divorces followed by a much lower marriage rate. People will simply not get married anymore and will raise their kids out of wedlock. I'm sure that's going to be GREAT for families everywhere.

    Prohibition is NEVER the answer.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  6. #296
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,422
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I think first offense should be punished with a fine, then second offense should be punished with trial and jail time, mild jail time, while repeated offenders should risk serious jail time and felony criminal record.
    You are too soft on crime, Maximus
    Just stone the woman to death every time
    And throw ten stone at the man..
    Works every time, doesn't it.
    Adultery never happens in the peaceful Islamic lands, but it is rife in America, and we must do something about these heinous crimes..

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    How do any of these contradict Grannies claim that men could fornicate with unmarried woman without being deemed an adulterer?
    I don't know that I was addressing that claim at all. I don't recall reading it.

    I was, however, addressing this claim:
    Quote Originally Posted by OKgrannie View Post
    The Biblical prohibition on adultery was only intended to apply to women.
    ...and it is that claim which the passages I cited counter.

    Would you like me to address the claim you referred to also?
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-11-09 at 01:47 PM.

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I am completely out of words except for this one............sad

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    All adultery can ever be is a breech of the marriage contract. No more, no less.
    Hmm, tell my boys and my extended family that my wife's adultery was only a breach of a contract: "Oh, mommy broke a strictly legal contract and has absolutely no effect on you at all, in anyway what-so-ever".

    Never mind the credible research demonstrating that children are worse off in single parent homes. Never mind that statistics showing that they are more likely to be abused sexually, physically and emotionally by mommy’s boyfriends. No no, Tucker says none of this exists, so it must be true because he said so; and Tucker is always right, just ask him, he'll tell you.

    Adultery destroys the family, the destruction of the family harms everyone immediately involved directly and society by proxy and that is why it is wrong.

    It's not my morality; it's not your morality, its objective truth which, yes, does actually exist.

    Your argument is born of gross ignorance and utter denial of documented facts. I can't address it comprehensively as I would have to start with basic sociological concepts which I neither have the time or patents to type nor the casual reader to digest.

    You couldn't be more wrong, Tucker. Adultery is so much more than a simple breach of a contract.

  10. #300
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    09-29-16 @ 04:36 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,689

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Jerry, do you think your wife should have gone to jail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



Page 30 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •