View Poll Results: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously! It should carry MMS and strict for 2nd++ offense..

    5 4.55%
  • Yes, jailtime.

    4 3.64%
  • Yah, first fine, then jail, mild jail time.

    1 0.91%
  • Hmm.. Perhaps..

    8 7.27%
  • No..

    90 81.82%
  • Something else(explain).

    7 6.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 27 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 845

Thread: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

  1. #261
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,628

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    As if our jails and prisons aren't clogged up enough as it is.
    We need to execute more of the hard core criminals in order to make room for lesser criminals...


    Religion and politics (laws) should be completely separate, though much of common law is based on some religious belief in one way or another.
    Agreed, but laws regarding marriage have nothing to do with religion and everything to do with contracts...


    IMO - we need to be reducing our legislation and enforcing the laws that we have in place now.
    Or enacting harsher penalties for existing laws...
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  2. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Religion is kooky.

    At a young age, we start getting this **** force-fed to us. It starts with Santa Clause - lies to us to keep us happy and content. Then the "Jesus is God" stuff right after that. Then "you can't have sex before you get married" and all that other junk - right at the time when we're essentially sexually peaking and would do anything for it during the same time when your biggest priority is getting a high score on Guitar Hero.

    Even get married.

    Want to blame someone for the high adultery and divorce rate? Look to your local church. Instead of teaching our kids about this religious garbage that you can't have sex before marriage and that you have to get married to be considered "proper" - give them options. Tell them that marriage should be considered permanent and they should only do so when they're ready - ie: after 30 for most kids.

    Until then, have at it. Make no excuse for what you're doing and do it responsibly. Use protection, make no commitments.

    Be honest.

    I have been monogamous for my entire marriage. 17 years and we had kids in our early 20's. I wasn't ready then and if I had been given better advice, I would have not done either until I was at least 30. I expect that too many are in this predicament, I just happened to be in the minority that kept faithful and toughed it out even though I wasn't ready.
    I believe that when humans first started to evolve socially religion was simply the earliest form of a law. Religion inspired laws to help the majority bond together and keep individuals from getting bullied by people or groups.

    That being said I also believe that all religion was the same at one early time but through time got twisted to the liking of many little groups or clicks around the planet.

    That being said I also believe that the universe is full of life but I cannot rule out the possibility of there being a God in some form because life had to start somewhere.

    Sorry if I got a little deep...

  3. #263
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,628

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    I believe that when humans first started to evolve socially religion was simply the earliest form of a law. Religion inspired laws to help the majority bond together and keep individuals from getting bullied by people or groups.
    Well said... religion existed to protect the tribe. To make it strong.
    To make it united and have a vision of the future....
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  4. #264
    Student Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    02-25-09 @ 10:26 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    I believe that when humans first started to evolve socially religion was simply the earliest form of a law. Religion inspired laws to help the majority bond together and keep individuals from getting bullied by people or groups.

    That being said I also believe that all religion was the same at one early time but through time got twisted to the liking of many little groups or clicks around the planet.

    That being said I also believe that the universe is full of life but I cannot rule out the possibility of there being a God in some form because life had to start somewhere.

    Sorry if I got a little deep...
    It's cool, and I'll go deeper.

    I'm clearly an agnostic. Not sure if I'm Christian, but I'll lean that way.

    I think religion is what it was once coined - "opiate of the masses". Human nature dictates that we need to believe that there's something beyond death - that we just don't decay into unconsciousness. Hence religion and gods aplenty. Every culture has their gods, we have Christianity for the most part and some other related religions.

    So who's right? Christians? Jews? Islam? Buddhists? Should we hang the 10 commandments in the courthouse? If so, should we also put a Koran there? Maybe a Tanakh? A KKK burning cross?

    My point is keep it all out of our politics. Keep it segregated - free for those to join and practice, but not to politically influence.

    Same goes for (going back on topic) adultery. Yes it's a social issue, but marriage is essentially religious in nature, and to take it as something otherwise would make it a civil matter like someone earlier suggested. Contractually based.
    Last edited by Captain Obvious; 02-10-09 at 09:39 PM.
    Caucasian male - the new minority
    Fiscally conservative, socially moderate.

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    It's cool, and I'll go deeper.

    I'm clearly an agnostic. Not sure if I'm Christian, but I'll lean that way.

    I think religion is what it was once coined - "opiate of the masses". Human nature dictates that we need to believe that there's something beyond death - that we just don't decay into unconsciousness. Hence religion and gods aplenty. Every culture has their gods, we have Christianity for the most part and some other related religions.

    So who's right? Christians? Jews? Islam? Buddhists? Should we hang the 10 commandments in the courthouse? If so, should we also put a Koran there? Maybe a Tanakh? A KKK burning cross?

    My point is keep it all out of our politics. Keep it segregated - free for those to join and practice, but not to politically influence.

    Same goes for (going back on topic) adultery. Yes it's a social issue, but marriage is essentially religious in nature, and to take it as something otherwise would make it a civil matter like someone earlier suggested. Contractually based.
    Just like some of the other species on the planet like the monarch butterfly, etc. humans are naturally programmed to be monogamous. (there are always exceptions to everything) So marriage I believe is a human procreation issue with rearing our young, and not a religion issue.

  6. #266
    Student Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    02-25-09 @ 10:26 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Just like some of the other species on the planet like the monarch butterfly, etc. humans are naturally programmed to be monogamous. (there are always exceptions to everything) So marriage I believe is a human procreation issue with rearing our young, and not a religion issue.
    Says who?

    We've been "programmed" by religious norms to be monogamous, but I'm not sure humans are such. I'm a guy, I'm monogamous - faithfully. Do I have the urges to nail every femme that crosses my street? Absolutely, and if I had my way I'd be doing so. I don't think I'm the oddball in this case.

    My point is that the suggestion that you have with humans being "monogamous" is slighted. Looking at the divorce and adultery rate, I'd say I have a pretty good case even though historically we've been pretty much a monogamous species - but that was heavily influenced by religious doctrine that we would burn in everlasting fire if we boinked more than 1.

    Take that religious aspect out and we're pretty much 50/50 IMO. Half of us are monogamous, half are sacking anything we can get our hands on.

    You can't really compare our neural design to those of butterflies or whales or lions for that matter - we're clearly beyond those species. Our "programming" isn't designed by instinct alone, but by reason, understanding and knowledge. It's what separates us from the rest and I challenge the suggestion that we're a monogamous bunch.
    Last edited by Captain Obvious; 02-10-09 at 10:09 PM.
    Caucasian male - the new minority
    Fiscally conservative, socially moderate.

  7. #267
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Last Seen
    01-30-12 @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Says who?

    We've been "programmed" by religious norms to be monogamous, but I'm not sure humans are such. I'm a guy, I'm monogamous - faithfully. Do I have the urges to nail every femme that crosses my street? Absolutely, and if I had my way I'd be doing so. I don't think I'm the oddball in this case.

    My point is that the suggestion that you have with humans being "monogamous" is slighted. Looking at the divorce and adultery rate, I'd say I have a pretty good case even though historically we've been pretty much a monogamous species - but that was heavily influenced by religious doctrine that we would burn in everlasting fire if we boinked more than 1.

    Take that religious aspect out and we're pretty much 50/50 IMO. Half of us are monogamous, half are sacking anything we can get our hands on.

    You can't really compare our neural design to those of butterflies or whales or lions fpr that matter - we're clearly beyond those species. Our "programming" isn't designed by instinct alone, but by reason, understanding and knowledge. It's what separates us from the rest and I challenge the suggestion that we're a monogamous bunch.
    Perhaps I am reaching a little...

    I would like to see more info on how our earlier ancesters approached this

    and especially how it was approached by the majority common folk during early Rome, England etc.

  8. #268
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Just like some of the other species on the planet like the monarch butterfly, etc. humans are naturally programmed to be monogamous. (there are always exceptions to everything) So marriage I believe is a human procreation issue with rearing our young, and not a religion issue.
    If I remember correctly, I've heard arguments that the opposite is true based on human teste size.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  9. #269
    Student Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    02-25-09 @ 10:26 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by creativedreams View Post
    Perhaps I am reaching a little...

    I would like to see more info on how our earlier ancesters approached this

    and especially how it was approached by the majority common folk during early Rome, England etc.
    Rome? From what I've read, Rome was the epicenter of moral decay. Later years of course, I'm not a historian and I'm not sure about the earlier years. England? Yeah, I plead ignorance here also, but don't forget - England (and Spain and other chivalry based societies) were heavily influenced by the Catholic church so that throws them out as outliers IMO.

    Same for the orient. They were influenced by their beliefs along with an oppressive dictate that also makes them subject for dismissal from this theory.

    Africa? Now there's possibly a point to look toward when considering what human nature dictates, though I'm also not scribed in African customs.

    Either way, breaking it down suggests that maybe I'm not right and maybe you are not wrong simply by considering that we as a species are fluent - not like whales who were whales 1,000 years ago and are whales now. We are still evolving and because of our understanding we haven't tapped our true identity. Our social customs are still developing and our influences are ever present.
    Caucasian male - the new minority
    Fiscally conservative, socially moderate.

  10. #270
    Student Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Seen
    02-25-09 @ 10:26 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    155

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    If I remember correctly, I've heard arguments that the opposite is true based on human teste size.
    Quit bragging.



    Steelers > Cards
    Caucasian male - the new minority
    Fiscally conservative, socially moderate.

Page 27 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •