View Poll Results: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously! It should carry MMS and strict for 2nd++ offense..

    5 4.55%
  • Yes, jailtime.

    4 3.64%
  • Yah, first fine, then jail, mild jail time.

    1 0.91%
  • Hmm.. Perhaps..

    8 7.27%
  • No..

    90 81.82%
  • Something else(explain).

    7 6.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 845

Thread: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

  1. #181
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You seem to think I'm saying there needs to be some kind of gala event. I'm not. But there has to be a time where the two getting married get together and declare their intent to be married and are declared so by an officiant.

    THAT'S A FRICKIN' CEREMONY. If it weren't a requirement, there'd be no need for an officiant at all. The spouses could just sign.
    No, they do not need to have a ceremony. The signatures are all that the state cares about. That's all the spouses HAVE to do. SIGN.

    But you know full well that marriage is a contract, as you've said, so what was the point of all of this to start with?

    What's to argue?
    I see nothing in that contract about fidelity. Nothing on the signed paper regarding fidelity.

  2. #182
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    They shouldn't be.
    At least you are not hypocrite then..
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  3. #183
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Last Seen
    01-13-10 @ 07:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    146

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    From what I've read, adultery is a natural element of human sexual behaviour, it is in our nature to seek out more sexual partners, partly because it is also in our nature to produce as much surviving offspring as we possibly can. Of course, however, as we know, this is not the main reason why people commit adultery.

    So, sending a person to jail for adultery would be like sending a person to jail for eating.

  4. #184
    Counselor

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,856

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer View Post
    We would have the court filled up and leave notime to take of major offences. It would be to darn costly.
    Besides, How many of us in here have been married more than one time. We could all be in Jail.

  5. #185
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by George VI View Post
    From what I've read, adultery is a natural element of human sexual behaviour, it is in our nature to seek out more sexual partners, partly because it is also in our nature to produce as much surviving offspring as we possibly can. Of course, however, as we know, this is not the main reason why people commit adultery.

    So, sending a person to jail for adultery would be like sending a person to jail for eating.
    No.. eating is something you must have to survive. Sex is not something you need to survive, but it is somewhat a basic need, but adultery as part of sex certainly is not even a basic need, just a luxury.

    So you can compare it more easily with murder and violence, since all are natural human behaviors, but then again, we punish murder and violence even if its natural human behavior, but we do not punish adultery. For a so called civilized society that is absurd, we are suppose to be an intellectual race, not a instinctual/emotional race. But in the end that is what most people are.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #186
    Educator
    moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cebu Rep of the Philippines
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    No.. eating is something you must have to survive. Sex is not something you need to survive, but it is somewhat a basic need, but adultery as part of sex certainly is not even a basic need, just a luxury.

    So you can compare it more easily with murder and violence, since all are natural human behaviors, but then again, we punish murder and violence even if its natural human behavior, but we do not punish adultery. For a so called civilized society that is absurd, we are suppose to be an intellectual race, not a instinctual/emotional race. But in the end that is what most people are.
    *
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Sex is not something you need to survive,
    I know what you are saying here but I had to laugh when I saw how you worded this. It would be difficult for the human race to survive with out sex. You can not compare adultery to murder and violence because adultery is neither of those things. Adultery is betrayal in its worse form. Because I have posted you before I know where you are coming from with this so I would ask you to consider this.

    In the OT God accused Israel how many times of of adultery? Is not adultery in the OT punishable by death? And yet God time and time again forgave Israel. God did not bring the punishments against Israel. Israel suffered because of the consequences of her own actions. Adultery is the type of offense that brings it's own punishment.

    Moe

  7. #187
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    *

    I know what you are saying here but I had to laugh when I saw how you worded this. It would be difficult for the human race to survive with out sex. You can not compare adultery to murder and violence because adultery is neither of those things. Adultery is betrayal in its worse form. Because I have posted you before I know where you are coming from with this so I would ask you to consider this.

    In the OT God accused Israel how many times of of adultery? Is not adultery in the OT punishable by death? And yet God time and time again forgave Israel. God did not bring the punishments against Israel. Israel suffered because of the consequences of her own actions. Adultery is the type of offense that brings it's own punishment.

    Moe
    Adultery is one of the ten commandments..

    When 50% of the population cheats on their spouses and divorce rates are as high as they are in our society, there is something wrong, something that needs to be fixed. Adultery should not be a normality.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  8. #188
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Adultery is one of the ten commandments..

    When 50% of the population cheats on their spouses and divorce rates are as high as they are in our society, there is something wrong, something that needs to be fixed. Adultery should not be a normality.
    Should we jail people that don't believe in God or worship other Gods?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  9. #189
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Should we jail people that don't believe in God or worship other Gods?
    No............. Its up to God to decide about those people, not other people.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  10. #190
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,686

    Re: Should adultery be a criminal offense punishable by jailtime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    No............. Its up to God to decide about those people, not other people.
    Then why are you bringing up the Ten Commandments?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •