View Poll Results: Is the North Korean building nice/cool?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, one of the nicest/coolest buildings I have seen..

    18 16.22%
  • Yes, definetely..

    31 27.93%
  • Its ok..

    15 13.51%
  • Nothing special..

    7 6.31%
  • Nah, not nice/cool

    32 28.83%
  • Something else(explain)...

    8 7.21%
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 255

Thread: Is this a cool building?

  1. #91
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is this a cool building?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Fair enough. Here is it in the daylight. Still quite awesome.

    IMG]http://www.trutv.com/graphics/photos/criminal_mind/scams/leona_helmsley/Empire-State-Building200.jpg[/IMG]
    Its not my favorite building, but of course its an icon.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Is there any actual evidence that they ARE putting glass in it, rather than just Photoshopping pictures of it? Also, putting glass in it hardly makes it more attractive. A reflection of the rest of the Pyongyang skyline is just as ugly as the concrete.

    If they actually are putting glass in it, their money would be better spent tearing this down and rebuilding it with steel. Or better yet, actually feeding their people and building their economy.
    I am just presuming its true because the picture in the OP is taken from a newspaper article about how North Korea is finally doing something on the building again, after decades of doing nothing and letting it deteriorate. Its not proof, for all we know the journalist could be wrong and just have bit on propaganda. But thats not the point.. The point is the building on the picture, which I think after the glass was put on looks very cool and unique.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #92
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is this a cool building?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    You dont know that..
    Uhh well considering that this "hotel" has never had a single guest and has never opened for business, that's a pretty good assumption. Let's look at those things one at a time:

    No windows - This one should be obvious, since you can plainly see from the outside that it doesn't have windows.

    No plumbing - Since the construction has never been finished, it is impossible for it to have plumbing.

    No doors, no furniture - OK, I'll grant you that I don't *know* that it doesn't have those things. But again, since the construction hasn't been finished, why WOULD it have those things? What possible purpose would they serve before the building opens to the "public"?

    No habitable rooms - Even if the building had all of those other things, it still wouldn't have any habitable rooms, due to the fact that it was made out of concrete instead of steel.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 02-07-09 at 12:16 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #93
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is this a cool building?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Uhh well considering that this "hotel" has never had a single guest and has never opened for business, that's a pretty good assumption. Let's look at those things one at a time:

    No windows - This one should be obvious, since you can plainly see from the outside that it doesn't have windows.

    No plumbing - Since the construction has never been finished, it is impossible for it to have plumbing.

    No doors, no furniture - OK, I'll grant you that I don't *know* that it doesn't have those things. But again, since the construction hasn't been finished, why WOULD it have those things? What possible purpose would they serve before the building opens to the "public"?

    No habitable rooms - Even if the building had all of those other things, it still wouldn't have any habitable rooms, due to the fact that it was made out of concrete instead of steel.
    Actually all of this is just speculation..
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  4. #94
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is this a cool building?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Actually all of this is just speculation..
    Are you disputing the fact that the Hotel of Doom has never opened, has never had a single guest, the construction remains unfinished, and it was built using substandard concrete instead of steel?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #95
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is this a cool building?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Are you disputing the fact that the Hotel of Doom has never opened, has never had a single guest, the construction remains unfinished, and it was built using substandard concrete instead of steel?
    Those are not facts. Just speculation.. We know little about North Korea and nothing about that building in general. Perhaps it had tons of guest, perhaps its frequently used as military quarters. Who knows? You know nothing about the concrete, and claiming steel is better than concrete is ridiculous.
    The construction is not finished, thats the only fact..

    Concrete is much used in Dutch skyscrapers, and they look far better than glassy steely skyscrapers and its not necessarily better to use steel.


    Does this concrete/glass/steel structure look like its falling apart because of usage of concrete/stone?
    Last edited by Maximus Zeebra; 02-07-09 at 12:38 PM.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #96
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is this a cool building?

    Do you perhaps find this typical glass/steel structure nicer/cooler than the concrete/stone and glass structure above?

    Same city.. Rotterdam. One of the few glass-steel scrapers I have seen in the Netherlands.

    Last edited by Maximus Zeebra; 02-07-09 at 12:41 PM.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  7. #97
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is this a cool building?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Those are not facts. Just speculation.. We know little about North Korea and nothing about that building in general. Perhaps it had tons of guest,
    Patently ridiculous, and you know it. If the Hotel of Doom wasn't a national embarrassment, certainly the DPRK would be touting its virtues as they do with North Korea's Arc d'Triumph. Instead, they Photoshop images of it and/or crop it out of photographs altogether.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra
    perhaps its frequently used as military quarters.
    OK, but it's a hotel. Not a barracks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra
    Who knows? You know nothing about the concrete, and claiming steel is better than concrete is ridiculous.
    The construction is not finished, thats the only fact..

    Concrete is much used in Dutch skyscrapers, and they look far better than glassy steely skyscrapers and its not necessarily better to use steel.

    Does this concrete/glass/steel structure look like its falling apart because of usage of concrete/stone?
    No. But it isn't 330 meters tall either.

    Ryugyong Hotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Though the basic structure was complete when construction came to a halt in 1992, the building shell has sat vacant and without windows, fixtures, or fittings for 16 years. To date, the hotel has not yet been certified safe for occupancy, and it is widely believed to suffer from major structural defects that render it unlikely to ever be so.[2][9]

    The original building plans called for a structural steel internal frame, a standard requirement for any building that large. The government was unwilling or unable to supply enough steel, and instead insisted the structure be constructed entirely from reinforced concrete in order to save money.[10] The concrete used was also a poor-quality domestic variety, mixed with cheap ingredients in order to meet the cost requirements. The combination resulted in a structure which proved itself to be defective before it was even fully erected. The sagging of the interior concrete structure is reportedly so severe that most of the building's vaunted elevators are permanently inoperable due to warping of the shafts.[9] The exterior concrete support structures can also be seen to be badly spalling, exposing large sections of rebar to corrosion from the elements.
    What a piece of crap.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 02-07-09 at 01:38 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #98
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is this a cool building?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Patently ridiculous, and you know it. If the Hotel of Doom wasn't a national embarrassment, certainly the DPRK would be touting its virtues as they do with North Korea's Arc d'Triumph. Instead, they Photoshop images of it and/or crop it out of photographs altogether.



    OK, but it's a hotel. Not a barracks.



    No. But it isn't 330 meters tall either.

    Ryugyong Hotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    What a piece of crap.
    I can without doubt say that the likelihood of that wikipedia article being wrong is quite big. I bet that aside from Kim Jong Ill, only a handful of North Korean engineers really know how the building is structured and built, and only a few thousand North Koreans have enough knowledge on the process to properly speculate how its built.

    So yes, what you say and what wikipedia says really is speculation.

    What I am saying about North Korea is rather speculative also, because its a very closed country that few people really know much about and not many people know anything about at all.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  9. #99
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is this a cool building?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I can without doubt say that the likelihood of that wikipedia article being wrong is quite big. I bet that aside from Kim Jong Ill, only a handful of North Korean engineers really know how the building is structured and built, and only a few thousand North Koreans have enough knowledge on the process to properly speculate how its built.

    So yes, what you say and what wikipedia says really is speculation.

    What I am saying about North Korea is rather speculative also, because its a very closed country that few people really know much about and not many people know anything about at all.
    I'm not sure what exactly you are disputing. Are you claiming that the building is NOT made out of concrete, and is in fact made out of steel? Or are you claiming that steel isn't a standard requirement for 330-meter-tall buildings? Neither of those have anything to do with North Korea being a closed society. The first point is easily proven just by looking at the picture, and the second point can be easily confirmed by any architect of ANY nationality.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 02-07-09 at 03:42 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #100
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Is this a cool building?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I'm not sure what exactly you are disputing. Are you claiming that the building is NOT made out of concrete, and is in fact made out of steel? Or are you claiming that steel isn't a standard requirement for 330-meter-tall buildings? Neither of those have anything to do with North Korea being a closed society. The first point is easily proven just by looking at the picture, and the second point can be easily confirmed by any architect of ANY nationality.
    "substandard concrete", "no steel",

    You dont know this. The concrete may be better than any concrete used in Europe or the US for all you and most people actually know. Aside from that there could also be a steel structure mounted in the concrete or behind the facade that you do not know anything about.

    You dont know how this building was constructed, I don't know that. Very few people actually do know that, and most things on the internet about the subject is highly likely to be speculations and rumors and so on.

    What I am talking about has anything to do with it being a closed society and us knowing nothing about the building aside from what we see with the eyes, and not even that we can trust these days.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •