View Poll Results: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was.

    34 45.95%
  • No, it wasn't.

    40 54.05%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 213

Thread: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 12:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    But if there were to be a dispute in the execution of the treaty, as it was the Arabic version that was negotiated and signed, it would have been the Arabic version (just as the Treaty of Tunis was in Turkish) that would have been authoritative.
    Speculative.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    There is obviously enough dispute over the inclusion of Article 11 in the actual treaty for it to no longer go unquestioned in this forum, as it so often has. The language of the Treaty of Paris (1783) is both more definate and included in a far more important foundation document of the United States.
    It seemed to go unquestioned in front of President John Adams, and the entire Senate.

  2. #32
    buttonpsi
    Guest

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    I don't even understand why this controversy has gone on so long...

    It is obvious the answer is NO!

    America was founded on religious freedoms not Christianity...

  3. #33
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 12:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    Speculative.


    It seemed to go unquestioned in front of President John Adams, and the entire Senate.
    Speculative? Speculative that it was written in Arabic and that English is the translation?

    It is a moot point in terms of enforcement because Tripoli violated it a few years later after not getting tribute given to Algiers and Tunis despite the fact that the Treaty of Tripoli specifically stated no further tribute was be required.

    If the treaty is written in a language, that is the language that is authoritative. There is nothing speculative about it.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #34
    Bank killer. Jessica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The (soon-to-be) Divided States of Amerika.
    Last Seen
    05-22-11 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    878

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    I bet freedom of religion would defeat any thought of America being founded on Christian principles.

  5. #35
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    You're right, it does not work like that. This is a pretty complex issue with plenty of well researched literature and material to use or argue with. None of yourpost thus far even begin to approach any sense of debate.
    Because it wasn't until you post that there was a true debate.

    I will respond don'tcha worry.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  6. #36
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    09-12-16 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    What are these principles that are exclusively Christian?
    depends, you talking real christians, or what we have on the boob tube nowadays?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,612

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    It was absolutely not founded on Christian principles, in fact, in every case where the founding fathers had the opportunity to insert religion into the process, it was soundly rejected. There were certainly some Christians involved, just as there were some deists and some atheists, but they all saw the importance of separation of church and state, they had escaped from the tyranny of England and Europe where religion poisoned politics and didn't want to make the same mistake here.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Read the question, answer it, and give your reasons.
    The government is secular, but the nation as a whole was and is Christian.

    Shamless plug: The 10 Big Lies About America
    Myth: The Founders intended a secular, not Christian, nation.

    Fact: Even after ratifying the Constitution, fully half the state governments endorsed specific Chris*tian denominations. And just a day after approving the First Amendment, forbidding the establishment of religion, Congress called for a national day of public thanksgiving and prayer to acknowledge the many signal favors of Almighty God.
    Last edited by Jerry; 01-29-09 at 11:29 AM.

  9. #39
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,200

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Not on the "Christian" principles of today. The term "Christian" as is commonly used today has very little to do with anything the Jesus Christ associated himself with. Today "Christian" is essentially a political body of individuals who aren't focused on following the principles the Christ taught, but rather seek to infiltrate society with their right-wing social agenda.
    "A Man you can bait with a tweet can't be trusted with nuclear weapons"

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not on the "Christian" principles of today. The term "Christian" as is commonly used today has very little to do with anything the Jesus Christ associated himself with. Today "Christian" is essentially a political body of individuals who aren't focused on following the principles the Christ taught, but rather seek to infiltrate society with their right-wing social agenda.
    I think the Christian churches who wed same-sex couples, gay Catholic priests, Women who are anointed clergy and the millions of Pro-Choice Christians evidence the truth of your argument here.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •