View Poll Results: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was.

    34 45.95%
  • No, it wasn't.

    40 54.05%
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 213

Thread: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

  1. #121
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Capt'n, how is that not trolling?

    Seriously.

    I'm supposed to believe that Arch doesn't know what a nation is? I'm supposed to believe that someone who hasnít trusted my sourced opinions so far on this thread is suddenly going to start trusting those opinions for no reason?

    Let's set aside the issue at hand for a moment. Capt'n, please tell me how Arch's question here is not trolling.
    No,

    seriously. I am interested in what your definition of the "United States Nation" is. It is highly relevant to the debate at hand, because I think you're going to have one hell of a difficult time defining the "United States Nation".
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  2. #122
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,687

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I noticed that myself. It seems obvious that this country's foundation is in Democratic Republicanism. That is impossible to refute. Regardless of the religious demographics of those who built upon that foundation, the foundations was clearly built on the principles created by polytheists.

    Now, did the founders incorporate Christian ideology into framework of the country as it developed? Of course.

    Could you say it was if FOUNDED on these Christian principles? Of course not. That is an arrogant position only a person ignorant of the history of democracy and republicanism would take.

    Without the foundation laid by Greeks and Romans, this country would never have came to be. Another country might have come to be, but not a Democratic Republic.

    did you know that in the US, only one of the Catholic version of the 10 commandments is considered universally illegal in the US. That is theft. If you use a protestant version, we get two illegal commandemnts that are universally Illegal, murder and theft.

    At worst 10% of those commandments are universally illegal in the US, at best, 20%.

    Not very strong evidence of a "Christian foundation", if you ask me.

    I'd say that certain Christian ideals were employed in the FRAMEWORK of the country, but it clearly wasn't of primacy.
    Now you're just trolling.

    (Trolling now means destroying a flawed premise.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



  3. #123
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    As long as we're clear that that's only your personal belief, I take no issue with your contribution here because I don't take issue with beliefs.
    Okay.

    Every time an atheist says 'it's wrong to murder' they are evidencing the universality the moral core every healthy human shares.....and the truth of scripture, ironicly.
    That's true I agree with that.


    What can I say to that?

    If my previous sources have no voice with you, then I have no reason to assume that additional sources could convince you either.
    Oh I'm sorry I wasn't challenging you with that, I was just stating what I believe and trying to bring up a good point: the fact that atheism was almost unheard of back then. That was meant for everyone, sorry.


  4. #124
    Educator
    moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cebu Rep of the Philippines
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Just curious if any one has mentioned that it was the founding fathers who initiated the policy of separation of church and state? Since they are the ones that initiated it with the support of their constituents then why should anybody be surprised not to see heavy religious overtones in early government? Christianity was the primary religion at the time. Obedience to the laws of God and man were and are common sermon topics. It was already assumed by the early settlers that considering that the government was and would be made up of rank and file citizens that they voted for that Christian ideals and principles would be properly presented and supported in the government.

    Our founding fathers began a system of the peoples will being represented in Government. In the beginning there was a Christian majority so it only makes sense the system that arose is as Tucker points out influenced by Christian ideals. The conflicts come today because now their are many different voices from many different cultures and religions who want their voice heard. But it seems those that complain the most are the non religious.

    Moe

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    The question isn't whether this nation was founded by Judeo-Christians. The question is the principles. It's like saying that Fords have seat belts so it's a Ford concept. It's not. All cars have that concept.
    According to your logic, the 10 commandments are not Christian because they are not exclusively Christian.

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Don't you see how the first commandment is in opposition to the first amendment?
    I see no opposition.

    Please educate me.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    No,

    seriously. I am interested in what your definition of the "United States Nation" is. It is highly relevant to the debate at hand, because I think you're going to have one hell of a difficult time defining the "United States Nation".
    I don't have personal definitions....for anything.

    People smarter than me have already hammered out what words mean.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Just curious if any one has mentioned that it was the founding fathers who initiated the policy of separation of church and state? Since they are the ones that initiated it with the support of their constituents then why should anybody be surprised not to see heavy religious overtones in early government? Christianity was the primary religion at the time. Obedience to the laws of God and man were and are common sermon topics. It was already assumed by the early settlers that considering that the government was and would be made up of rank and file citizens that they voted for that Christian ideals and principles would be properly presented and supported in the government.

    Our founding fathers began a system of the peoples will being represented in Government. In the beginning there was a Christian majority so it only makes sense the system that arose is as Tucker points out influenced by Christian ideals. The conflicts come today because now their are many different voices from many different cultures and religions who want their voice heard. But it seems those that complain the most are the non religious.

    Moe
    For a bunch of irrational, illogical religious zealots they sure made one hell of a country

  8. #128
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I don't have personal definitions....for anything.

    People smarter than me have already hammered out what words mean.
    Then what is the definition of The United States Nation.

    Please, stop pussy-toeing around this question.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  9. #129
    Sage
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,785

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Ooooo... pussy toeing. Me likey... Sounds kinky.

    Would that make one a "nymp-toe-maniac?"

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #130
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    66,687

    Re: Was the United States founded on Christian principles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    According to your logic, the 10 commandments are not Christian because they are not exclusively Christian.
    They are the principles of Christianity. I never said that they were unique or exclusive to Christianity. I sure wouldn't say that Christianity was founded upon them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I see no opposition.

    Please educate me.
    Thou shalt not worship any other Gods before Me vs. Worship any God you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The Amish are light-years ahead of the rest of the human race.



Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •