View Poll Results: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 53.85%
  • No

    3 23.08%
  • Other opinion

    3 23.08%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 98

Thread: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

  1. #31
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    That is total crap! Look at the Fortune 500. Who owns what and who controls what?
    Anyone with enough wealth can buy into it just as the current execs have.

    And to address your post below... Here are a few female Fortune 500 execs.

    Claire Babrowski RadioShack
    Brenda C. Barnes Sara Lee
    Dorrit J. Bern Charming Shoppes
    Mary E. Burton Zale
    Patricia Gallup PC Connection
    Susan M. Ivey Reynolds American
    Andrea Jung Avon Products
    Kay Krill AnnTaylor Stores
    Linda A. Lang Jack in the Box
    Kathleen A. Ligocki Tower Automotive
    Anne Mulcahy Xerox
    Janet L. Robinson New York Times
    Paula G. Rosput Reynolds Safeco
    Patricia F. Russo Lucent Technologies
    Mary F. Sammons Rite Aid
    Marion O. Sandler Golden West Financial
    Stephanie A. Streeter Banta
    Margaret C. Whitman eBay
    Mary Agnes Wilderotter Citizens Communications

    Taken from 2006.

    There are also what... 5 Black F500 CEOs? 13 or 14 others by people of non-white decent?

    Basically what it boils down to, is money. Find a way to get it, and you win!

    Also why do you think females still make less than males when doing the same exact job?
    Couple reasons could be cited. One of the major reasons is they have to make up for the lost time that females tend to bring to the job.

    Women 'take 46 per cent more sick days than men' | Mail Online

    Women Take Almost 50 Percent More Short-term Sick Leave Than Men

    That's not counting pregnancy and maternity leave. In which during the pregnancy part women are more likely to be doing less of their job duties, have ill tempers regarding any "possible" hostility, and often require other special accomodations.

    Just to be clear though, do you think you could find a job with the same exact duties in which a female makes less than a man per hour? Because from what I understand it's that females often make less per year than men in the same or different jobs... and that boils down to the days taken off work (see above) and overtime taken.


    The Good Ole' Boys Club it still alive and kicking
    In this country, anyone can be anything as long as they are able to work themselves to death to get there.

    Of course it helps if you've got the means to afford the education that you want first... but if not, you can still get there on your own.
    Last edited by Shewter; 01-24-09 at 01:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  2. #32
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Please try to refrain from attacking me and playing Grammar Police

    How about land, money and free education for children to start with? Why? That is what they were promised and what they deserve. You think they are owed nothing for being treated worse than animals?

    I would rather my tax dollars to go towards something like that rather than Pork!
    So let me get this straight.

    Because I was born in this country I owe my money, to a racial group that I had nothing to do with (hardship-wise)?

    You are telling me that when my children grow up, they will owe money, owe land, and be refused the same educational benefits as another race, because they are white?

    I say HELL NO.

    Things like the United Negro College Fund piss me off enough. People talk about racism and then form groups like this? If I were to start a United Blanco College Fund... I would be demonized for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Answer, and give rationale.
    The should be... otherwise they are racist and deserve no quater.

  4. #34
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-18-12 @ 10:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    So let me get this straight.

    Because I was born in this country I owe my money, to a racial group that I had nothing to do with (hardship-wise)?

    You are telling me that when my children grow up, they will owe money, owe land, and be refused the same educational benefits as another race, because they are white?

    I say HELL NO.

    Things like the United Negro College Fund piss me off enough. People talk about racism and then form groups like this? If I were to start a United Blanco College Fund... I would be demonized for sure.
    Of course you had something to do with it! Maybe not directly but indirectly by birth

    I do not think your children should own money if they/gov. would just do the right thing and pay now. Then we will not have to put that on our kids and grandkids, etc.

    I would much rather my tax dollars go towards helping the people that were done wrong in this country over people in other countries that we just blindly keep feeding and giving help only to have to keep repeating this over and over. What we need to do is teach all these poor places how to live off the land they have and to be self sufficient but that is a whole other thread.

    The United Negro College Fund was set up during a time when it was much needed and is still needed. Not sure what your problem is with it? Go out and start whatever org. ya wish! Nobody-esp. the black folks-is holding ya down

  5. #35
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-18-12 @ 10:29 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shewter View Post
    Anyone with enough wealth can buy into it just as the current execs have.

    And to address your post below... Here are a few female Fortune 500 execs.

    Claire Babrowski RadioShack
    Brenda C. Barnes Sara Lee
    Dorrit J. Bern Charming Shoppes
    Mary E. Burton Zale
    Patricia Gallup PC Connection
    Susan M. Ivey Reynolds American
    Andrea Jung Avon Products
    Kay Krill AnnTaylor Stores
    Linda A. Lang Jack in the Box
    Kathleen A. Ligocki Tower Automotive
    Anne Mulcahy Xerox
    Janet L. Robinson New York Times
    Paula G. Rosput Reynolds Safeco
    Patricia F. Russo Lucent Technologies
    Mary F. Sammons Rite Aid
    Marion O. Sandler Golden West Financial
    Stephanie A. Streeter Banta
    Margaret C. Whitman eBay
    Mary Agnes Wilderotter Citizens Communications

    Taken from 2006.

    There are also what... 5 Black F500 CEOs? 13 or 14 others by people of non-white decent?

    Basically what it boils down to, is money. Find a way to get it, and you win!



    Couple reasons could be cited. One of the major reasons is they have to make up for the lost time that females tend to bring to the job.

    Women 'take 46 per cent more sick days than men' | Mail Online

    Women Take Almost 50 Percent More Short-term Sick Leave Than Men

    That's not counting pregnancy and maternity leave. In which during the pregnancy part women are more likely to be doing less of their job duties, have ill tempers regarding any "possible" hostility, and often require other special accomodations.

    Just to be clear though, do you think you could find a job with the same exact duties in which a female makes less than a man per hour? Because from what I understand it's that females often make less per year than men in the same or different jobs... and that boils down to the days taken off work (see above) and overtime taken.




    In this country, anyone can be anything as long as they are able to work themselves to death to get there.

    Of course it helps if you've got the means to afford the education that you want first... but if not, you can still get there on your own.
    Sadly in this country you cannot be anything you want because that is a big myth. Should you tell your children they can be anything the wish with hard work and a good education? Of course but the real fact is this: sometimes luck has a hell of a lot to do with where you get to in life. Racism, sexism and elitism still plays a huge part in who gets to to the top of the ladder and who does not

    The fact is that people are still passed over for jobs based on gender, race and even social class. Sad but this will not change as long as the Good Ole' Boy Network you seem to support is in tact. I have hope that with Obama being elected that it will slowly tear away with the racism, sexism and cronyism that still runs amok in our country.

  6. #36
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,258

    Re: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Sadly in this country you cannot be anything you want because that is a big myth. Should you tell your children they can be anything the wish with hard work and a good education? Of course but the real fact is this: sometimes luck has a hell of a lot to do with where you get to in life. Racism, sexism and elitism still plays a huge part in who gets to to the top of the ladder and who does not

    The fact is that people are still passed over for jobs based on gender, race and even social class. Sad but this will not change as long as the Good Ole' Boy Network you seem to support is in tact. I have hope that with Obama being elected that it will slowly tear away with the racism, sexism and cronyism that still runs amok in our country.
    Except for cronyism, how can you say that promotion is largely based on the "Good Ole Boy Network"?

    To get ahead in this world you have to stop being a victim of everything and work your ass off otherwise your kidding yourself if you think someone is just going to hand you a job or a promotion.

    The "Glass Ceiling" was broken a long time ago, its time to move on from being a victim.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #37
    Advisor Keorythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    08-05-14 @ 01:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    440

    Re: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    How about land, money and free education for children to start with? Why? That is what they were promised and what they deserve. You think they are owed nothing for being treated worse than animals?

    I would rather my tax dollars to go towards something like that rather than Pork!
    Say what?!?! Free education? Land?

    I hope you're not making reference to the 40 acres and a mule promise. Because I have no clue what other promise you're talking about or why african americans should receive any preferential treatment. African Americans deserve nothing more than any other American citizen. Alot of us fought for your equality. Equality being the key word. What you do with it now is up to you.

    The fact is that people are still passed over for jobs based on gender, race and even social class. Sad but this will not change as long as the Good Ole' Boy Network you seem to support is in tact. I have hope that with Obama being elected that it will slowly tear away with the racism, sexism and cronyism that still runs amok in our country.
    The Good Ole Boy Network is long since diminished. Money, talent, education and most importantly connections is what gets you to the top. Building a social network takes lots of time and effort. That goal might start with you but complete itself with your children. We've seen a fair number of African American CEO's making it to the top and more are waiting in the isles. Heck Stanley O'Neal could have stayed president of Merrill Lynch if he hadn't been caught talking with Wachovia bank. Merrill Lynch isn't small potatos and the man bailed out with a $160 million dollar severance package. What about Condi Rice? Do they not count because they're conservatives?

    Need more? The Most Powerful Black Executives in America Meet 50 black business men and women who wield unprecedented clout. - July 22, 2002

    If you want to be successful, you do it by you own hand and hard work. Not from government handouts.
    Freedom is... never more than one generation away from extinction. Every generation has to learn how to protect and defend it, or it’s gone and gone for a long, long time- Ronald Reagan

  8. #38
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    How does one "act" black?
    They go to a tanning salon and get a perm?





    An aside: I've always thought that the best name possible for a tanning salon would be "Toasted Crackers".
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #39
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hyde Park
    Last Seen
    09-24-16 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,620

    Re: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Sadly in this country you cannot be anything you want because that is a big myth. Should you tell your children they can be anything the wish with hard work and a good education? Of course but the real fact is this: sometimes luck has a hell of a lot to do with where you get to in life. Racism, sexism and elitism still plays a huge part in who gets to to the top of the ladder and who does not

    The fact is that people are still passed over for jobs based on gender, race and even social class. Sad but this will not change as long as the Good Ole' Boy Network you seem to support is in tact. I have hope that with Obama being elected that it will slowly tear away with the racism, sexism and cronyism that still runs amok in our country.
    It seems you have trouble accepting the fact that some people are just plain better than others. You can call it a glass whatever, people are only equal in rights, not ability and economic status...
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #40
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Why shouldn't black be asked to give back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Of course you had something to do with it! Maybe not directly but indirectly by birth
    Wrong. My ancestry doesnt make it that far in this country.

    I do not think your children should own money if they/gov. would just do the right thing and pay now. Then we will not have to put that on our kids and grandkids, etc.
    Or everyone could just focus on the present instead of trying to work out past issues that have nothing to do with today.

    The more people bitch about before, the less we can move ahead. Think about that for a bit.

    I would much rather my tax dollars go towards helping the people that were done wrong in this country over people in other countries that we just blindly keep feeding and giving help only to have to keep repeating this over and over. What we need to do is teach all these poor places how to live off the land they have and to be self sufficient but that is a whole other thread.
    Who have been done wrong in this country? Do you want your tax dollars given to people of specific colors because their ancestry was harmed? Really? Well, ****. Give me some money too! People of my primary nationality have been treated like **** more than their fair share in this country as well!

    The United Negro College Fund was set up during a time when it was much needed and is still needed. Not sure what your problem is with it? Go out and start whatever org. ya wish! Nobody-esp. the black folks-is holding ya down
    My issue with it is that if I were to set up like I said before... the United Blanco College Fund, I would be racist as **** wouldnt I? Or at least that's how it would be perceived. Think about how wrong it is to segregate one self while bitching about equality, and trying to fight racism.
    Last edited by Shewter; 01-25-09 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •