View Poll Results: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 57.14%
  • No

    15 42.86%
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 220

Thread: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

  1. #41
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Ok... I don't really disagree with anything you said here.

    My question:
    If the BOR only applies to the actions of the federal government and does not restrict the states, what stops the states from, say, banning 'assault weapons'?
    I do believe that the BoR can restrict the states from infringing upon the expressed rights of the people that it describes. I believe that it restricts the federal authority more, though.

    Certain speech, for example, cannot be banned by the States except for reasons like inciting a riot as you've described earlier. For reasons relating to directly endagering others.

    But I feel that it cannot be banned by the federal government for any reason, even directly endangering others, because teh federal authority on these matters has been removed by the BoR.


    So regarding a state trying to implement an assualt weapons ban, I believe you explained the reasons they cannot perfectly before.

    Simple posession of an 'assault weapon' creates no such [clear and present danger to others -- an immediate threat to pubic safety] -- and so, the argument you present, above, falls to support the constitutionality of banning them.
    Simple possesion of a firearm of any sort cannot be construed as a clear and present danger. The states do not have the right to prevent simple possesion.

    They can, in essence, eliminate people deemed to be a "clear and present danger to others -- an immediate threat to pubic safety" from eligibility for firearms.

    Thus the State's rights remain solely in the realm of preventing such clear and present dangers from being eligible for militia duty.

    The federal government does not even retain these rights.

    I believe that the States and local governments are the only entities that have the ability to make laws abridging these rights, and ONLY for reasons related to immediate threats to public safety. The federal governemtn reliquished this ability to the states with the BoR, but that doesn't mean the states have the right to arbitrarily infringe on the rights outlined by the BoR.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    26,978

    Re: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

    Part of the reason that the 2nd amendment was made was so that a people could not be oppressed by their government. The 2nd amendment gave them the possibility to rise up against the government should it become overly oppressive. This is evident in the Declaration of Independance. Though the DoI is not a law document it does help set the base of America and what America stands for. IE Freedom of the People.

    Because of this I do not support any ban on any type of weapon short of nuclear. I even support a civilians right to carry rockets if they think they need to. Though I do support restrictions on where weapons may be carried. Carrying weapons into courthouses and police stations is not needed and could be highly dangerous.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #43
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

    I guess we cannot take Barack Obama’s word for it.
    YouTube - Barack Obama Flip Flops on D.C. Gun Ban
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  4. #44
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    09-26-12 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

    GAT Dernit Obamaer don't take my guns! How else am I gonna do some shootin!? Wat if them ppl come to meye home and steal my wife/daughter.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  5. #45
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    GAT Dernit Obamaer don't take my guns! How else am I gonna do some shootin!? Wat if them ppl come to meye home and steal my wife/daughter.
    Thanks for wasting our time!

  6. #46
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No.
    It is banned because it creates a clear and present danger to others -- an immediate threat to pubic safety.

    Simple posession of an 'assault weapon' creates no such danger -- and so, the argument you present, above, falls to support the constitutionality of banning them.


    Given the above, this is unsupprtable.
    No response from D-Dude?
    Hmmmm.

  7. #47
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,201

    Re: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No response from D-Dude?
    Hmmmm.
    There can be no response to your post.....because you are simply wrong.
    The government can and will continue to place reasonable restrictions of Constitutional rights. Just because you claim that a restriction on assault weapons is not reasonable doesn't make it so.
    "A Man you can bait with a tweet can't be trusted with nuclear weapons"

  8. #48
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    There can be no response to your post.....because you are simply wrong.
    I was wrong about... what, specifially?

    That incendiary speech is banned not because of potential threat, but because of a clear and present, immediate danger?

    Or that the simple posession of an 'assault weapon' does not create a clear and present, immediate danger?
    Last edited by Goobieman; 01-22-09 at 11:56 AM.

  9. #49
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,201

    Re: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I was wrong about... what, specifially?
    Your post and analysis were wrong on many levels.

    The first problem.....you have to understand how Constitutional Analysis works and how the court goes about determining whether a ban meet Constitutional muster.

    If you actually believe that the Supreme Court would find that having possession of assault weapons is a "fundamental right" THAT is the first error in your analysis...and when you begin your analysis with an error, it is unlikely your final analysis will be correct.
    "A Man you can bait with a tweet can't be trusted with nuclear weapons"

  10. #50
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,258

    Re: Are gun owners STILL paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    There can be no response to your post.....because you are simply wrong.
    The government can and will continue to place reasonable restrictions of Constitutional rights. Just because you claim that a restriction on assault weapons is not reasonable doesn't make it so.
    Why is it reasonable? What evidence does anyone have that placing these restrictions will reduce crime? Are our Constitutional Rights considered inalienable?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •