View Poll Results: Do you support a ban on cell phones while driving?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I support the ban

    27 50.00%
  • No, I do not support the ban

    27 50.00%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 130

Thread: Cell Phone while driving

  1. #111
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Cell Phone while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Don't know about the CW, however, you talk to people in the car they can see what is going on around you and when things get hairy, they know because they can see it and calm down. That isn't true when on the phone. I know from experience that dealing with my family in the car is not nearly as distracting as talking with someone on a cell phone is.
    So, my 4 year old nephew knows when things "get hairy" and he calms down? LOL I don't think so. Hell, my 11 niece can't even figure that out.

    So it's not a matter of talking being distracting at all then, anyway? It's a matter of knowing when to return 100% of your attention to driving. That sounds like it's based on the judgment of the driver, NOT the cellphone. I can, and do, tell the person on the cellphone to "hang on" or "I gotta go - *click*" if and when I need to focus 100% on driving. Just like I tell the people in the car with me to STFU when I need to do the same.

    It has nothing to do with the cellphone.

  2. #112
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    09-26-16 @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,420
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Cell Phone while driving

    What is so difficult about setting the cell-phone to just record when the man is busy with other tasks, such as driving or even making a meal ???
    The callers should learn how to wait...
    The cell phone, children in the back seat "misbehaving", so-called music on the radio, all can be distracting when driving.
    Our drivers must learn to concentrate or not drive..

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Cell Phone while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    What is so difficult about setting the cell-phone to just record when the man is busy with other tasks, such as driving or even making a meal ???
    The callers should learn how to wait...
    The cell phone, children in the back seat "misbehaving", so-called music on the radio, all can be distracting when driving.
    Our drivers must learn to concentrate or not drive..
    It's a 3 hour drive from Rapid to Pier, and if the boss calls to change something, I need to know *before* I get there.

  4. #114
    Tavern Bartender
    #neverhillary
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    68,043

    Re: Cell Phone while driving

    Just use a headset for crying out loud! End of story.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Cell Phone while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Just use a headset for crying out loud! End of story.
    No headset under a total ban

  6. #116
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Cell Phone while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No headset under a total ban
    we can use them in CA but let me say that trying to get one untangled, plugged in and in your ear while your phone is ringing and you're on the freeway is not only next to impossible, but way more dangerous than picking something up and saying hello. I don't even bother with a hands-free, I just wait until I'm out of the freaking car or sneak a text message at a red light.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Cell Phone while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    we can use them in CA but let me say that trying to get one untangled, plugged in and in your ear while your phone is ringing and you're on the freeway is not only next to impossible, but way more dangerous than picking something up and saying hello. I don't even bother with a hands-free, I just wait until I'm out of the freaking car or sneak a text message at a red light.
    Wait...since when do they have cords?

    The only hands-free units I've ever seen are cordless transceivers that wear on one ear..someone calls and push the button on the unit...no fumbling...but even that can't be used under a total ban.

  8. #118
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Cell Phone while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Wait...since when do they have cords?

    The only hands-free units I've ever seen are cordless transceivers that wear on one ear..someone calls and push the button on the unit...no fumbling...but even that can't be used under a total ban.
    well I got one that came with my phone presumably to use with the mp3 capacity and it's like earphones but it has a mouth thing with a button on it, so if you're already wearing them you just touch the button to answer the phone. the bluetooth ones are out of my price range atm.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Cell Phone while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    well I got one that came with my phone presumably to use with the mp3 capacity and it's like earphones but it has a mouth thing with a button on it, so if you're already wearing them you just touch the button to answer the phone. the bluetooth ones are out of my price range atm.
    Nationalized hands-free units anyone?

  10. #120
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Cell Phone while driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Nationalized hands-free units anyone?
    I'm down. I'm even willing to be taxed more on my wages so the government can afford to give me one for free. oh wait no, I'd rather pay my car off.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •