View Poll Results: The primary source of job losses is...

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technology (Automation)

    8 18.18%
  • Offshoring (Outsourcing)

    13 29.55%
  • Other

    23 52.27%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 89

Thread: Primary Source of Job Losses

  1. #31
    Educator ronpaulvoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 02:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    627

    fyi Re: Primary Source of Job Losses

    The fix is simple. Get government out of the way and let the market do it.

  2. #32
    User Scardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The oldest dorm on campus
    Last Seen
    01-16-09 @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23

    Re: Primary Source of Job Losses

    I can't quite say, but the increases in gas and power prices have certainly put a strain on the average consumer, and poor business management has forced more than one large company to lay off large parts of the workforce.
    Also, the tendancy to "play" the stockmarket according to presumed and estimated worth over actual capital and gains tends to overinflate it, causing these huge crashes that sends everyone into a panic that spirals into these depressions.

    When the average person has to scrimp and pinch each penny to make their house payment, this causes companies to start losing money, people go into bankruptcy because they can't pay the loans they had to take out in order to simply get by, which causes banks problems, which causes people seeking loans problems getting them... etc.
    "If it makes sense, then it can't be done."
    Karen G.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Primary Source of Job Losses

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    This makes no sense. Forcing companies to pay Americans high wages results in their firms going bankrupt and them losing their jobs. Furthermore, if you force us to buy their products we end up paying more for inferior goods. This happened after Bush enacted tariffs on steel. Quality went down and prices went up.

    And you clearly ignore how allowing countries to develop creates markets for our goods.

    If an American wants to get paid 10 times as much as a foreign worker, they have to be 10 times as efficient. Welcome to technology.

    I do not agree.

    I am saying that certain jobs ... like technical support for software products needs to be kept in the Uniteed States.

    Microsoft and various other compaines sent these jobs overseas to save on wages and benefits. This is unacceptable.

    These jobs need to be returned to the United States. The US needs to make laws which prohibit the outsourcing of these types of jobs.

    Americans first.

    Those jobs belong in the United States. Big business cannot be allowed to sacrifice jobs in this country so they can increase the size of their quarterly bonus.

    This is unacceptable.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Primary Source of Job Losses

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with outsourcing. It places a burden on the employee to do something beyond work in a factory line but also makes our country rich and common conveniences easily attainable.
    I disagree.

    It takes the bread right out of the mouths of the American working class.

    Things like software tech support need to be exempt from outsourcing.

    Those are non-manufacturing jobs that Americans can be doing. Allowing those to be outsourced so that a group of corporate jackals can increase the size of thier quarterly bonuses is unacceptable.

    The corporate numb-nuttery needs to be stoped.

    Outsourcing these types of positions needs to be outlawed.

  5. #35
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Primary Source of Job Losses

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Since that plant is in another country -- Yes, it is outsourcing. American companies need to be employing Americans first. PERIOD.
    And how do you propose to ban outsourcing? The company in my example could easily make a plausible argument that the layoff in Detroit and the hiring in Shanghai were just coincidences. Or are you saying that American companies should be banned from branching out to other countries altogether?

    By the way, could you please define "American companies"? Is Ford an American company? Many of their cars are produced entirely in Brazil. Is Toyota an American company? They have many plants in the United States with central management in Japan. Is Lenovo an American company? It has headquarters in both China and the United States. Is Accenture an American company? It is owned by Americans, has an American CEO, has most of its offices in the United States, and employs mostly Americans, but is headquartered in Bermuda.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    Ummm... No.

    It's a great thing for other counties because they get jobs for their people. Likewise, the American people are going hungry because their jobs are being shipped to some 3rd world ****hole so some corporate cocksucker can save on wages and pocket the difference by way of a bonus.
    The United States has been outsourcing jobs since the pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. Yet we have the most vibrant economy in the world, recent troubles aside.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    No.

    Anything that involves shipping jobs overseas needs to be outlawed. American corporations need to be employing Americans first. PERIOD ... END OF STORY.
    And yet, strangely, you have not a word of criticism for robots taking American jobs, despite the fact that automation displaces a lot more workers than outsourcing. Are furriners just an easier target than robots?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    Trade is fine.

    Corporate ****nobs shipping jobs overseas to save money on salaries and benefits is not.
    That makes no sense. What do you think trade *is*?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    I advocate an AMERICANS FIRST policy in business. This does not mean that I would choose an American over somebody else if the job in question was in the United States (unless that person was illegal).

    I simply believe that business needs to be barred from causing abject poverty in America by sending jobs overseas.

    American corporations need to be severely punished for outsourcing jobs solely for saving money.

    I realize Republicans and NeoCons will not agree because they are all about big bonuses earned by corporate downsizing.
    If you think I am a Republican or a neocon, then you must not have read very many of my posts. Any real liberal supports free trade, despite what the UAW might tell you.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-16-09 at 01:45 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #36
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Primary Source of Job Losses

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I do not agree.

    I am saying that certain jobs ... like technical support for software products needs to be kept in the Uniteed States.

    Microsoft and various other compaines sent these jobs overseas to save on wages and benefits. This is unacceptable.

    These jobs need to be returned to the United States. The US needs to make laws which prohibit the outsourcing of these types of jobs.

    Americans first.

    Those jobs belong in the United States. Big business cannot be allowed to sacrifice jobs in this country so they can increase the size of their quarterly bonus.

    This is unacceptable.
    Why? What gives Americans an inherent right to have those jobs? They didn't have those jobs BEFORE Microsoft provided them, so why should they expect Microsoft to continue providing them forever?

    This sense of entitlement is deadly to our economy, because protectionism costs jobs, wastes money, lowers the standard of living, and harms our relations with other countries.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,422
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Primary Source of Job Losses

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinto View Post
    You may not be aware of this, but productivity varies greatly from person to person. This is due to their abilities, mainly the amount of effort put forth. Employees who strive to do their job well and improve efficiency are valuable, those who do not are far more likely to be let go if situations change.Thanks to many of the unions, this is not so. In many case, they have bred and encouraged mediocitcy..
    The "old time" unions must change and improve or they, and their industries must go..
    I do not advocate that unions in general are bad; but those that do live in the past must reform..
    A man with good productivity indirectly creates more jobs, maybe not immediately nor in the same industry..

  8. #38
    Professor
    Alfons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    10-03-15 @ 03:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,439

    Re: Primary Source of Job Losses

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Outside of cyclical job losses, which do you think is the primary source of job losses:

    Technology (automation)

    Or

    Outsourcing
    The Outsorcing of Jobs to China and India is the greatest problem in West countries.Maybe in 20 years we'll have no jobs for educated people more, becuse the guys from Asia earn only 1K in year.

  9. #39
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Primary Source of Job Losses

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I do not agree.
    Largely because you do not understand.

    I am saying that certain jobs ... like technical support for software products needs to be kept in the Uniteed States.
    Why? If another country can do it better, faster and cheaper, why should we force American citizens to pay more for inferior goods?

    Microsoft and various other compaines sent these jobs overseas to save on wages and benefits. This is unacceptable.
    Because....? If Americans want to get paid 10 times they need to be 10 times as efficient.

    Furthermore many firms send jobs overseas because they can effectively operate a 24 hour workday. That's powerful stuff.

    These jobs need to be returned to the United States. The US needs to make laws which prohibit the outsourcing of these types of jobs.
    So you are saying that the US government should mandate that Americans be forced to pay for inferior goods at higher prices merely so that their fellow citizens can have a job?

    That's welfare.

    You keep saying it's unacceptable but you give absolutely no reason why we should do it other then for welfare reasons.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #40
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Primary Source of Job Losses

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    considering we only have a work force of about a third of our population, just guessing, I would say that automation is a good thing. To produce what we do without machinery is impossible.
    In the long run automation is excellent (unless you're a Terminator believer). And it has allowed US firms to export automation products and know how. However, automation has destroyed many jobs. Why hire 100 diggers when you can do it with one guy operating a backhoe?

    Those Luddites among us who want to go back to the family farm with the chickens and the outhouses, have at it. But do it honestly, no electricity and use an ox team to plow...l.
    Pretty much. If you want to see massive job increases in America, you'd first cut us off from world trade and then ban technology. Lots of manual labor would be needed to fill the gap.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •