View Poll Results: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schools?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, please explain)

    8 47.06%
  • no(activist have no place in schools)

    9 52.94%
  • maybe/I do not know

    0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schools?

  1. #11
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schoo

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    this from the article:

    "The lawsuit, filed Monday, says the Wilkes County school district and its superintendent violated the First Amendment by preventing Sally Ferrell from distributing pamphlets and other materials that warn students to think twice before joining the military."

    this is not pro-peace corps or pro-anything, it is just anti-military.

    as far as I'm concerned, this lady doesn't need to be pushing her political agenda on the kids. she's not offering them any career or educational opportunities.
    This appears to be the claim of the school. I would be curious what "disparaging the military" means. Was she lying about it or broadcasting unpleasant details and outcomes?

    If her purpose is simply to advocate peace and not alternatives to the military, her material should be allowed to be filtered and reviewed by the school.

  2. #12
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schoo

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    If her purpose is simply to advocate peace and not alternatives to the military, her material should be allowed to be filtered and reviewed by the school.
    Meh. I see no reason that the schools should cooperate in the distribution of propaganda, except for government propaganda. Only reason I support the acceptance of recruiters-- for the military as well as other organizations-- is that they provide a benefit to the students.

  3. #13
    Old Soul

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ND
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,915

    Re: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schoo

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Meh. I see no reason that the schools should cooperate in the distribution of propaganda, except for government propaganda. Only reason I support the acceptance of recruiters-- for the military as well as other organizations-- is that they provide a benefit to the students.
    that's how I feel about it.

  4. #14
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schoo

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Meh. I see no reason that the schools should cooperate in the distribution of propaganda, except for government propaganda. Only reason I support the acceptance of recruiters-- for the military as well as other organizations-- is that they provide a benefit to the students.
    Yeah, propaganda is usually not beneficial to the student. I do however support having speakers come in, especially those who become activists due to personal experience. Again, these should be subject to the school's moderation as they are ultimately responsible for educating students.

  5. #15
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schoo

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    Yeah, propaganda is usually not beneficial to the student. I do however support having speakers come in, especially those who become activists due to personal experience. Again, these should be subject to the school's moderation as they are ultimately responsible for educating students.
    Certainly. And I would argue that this is good for the students, as it exposes them to different beliefs and helps them hone the tools by which they form their own opinions.

    I would like to see professional debates regularly held on campuses, between people who are sincere in their beliefs and their arguments, as an extension of classes in Philosophy or Political Science. (Or mandatory Forensic Debate, for that matter.)

  6. #16
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,548

    Re: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schoo

    Quote Originally Posted by emdash View Post
    this from the article:

    "The lawsuit, filed Monday, says the Wilkes County school district and its superintendent violated the First Amendment by preventing Sally Ferrell from distributing pamphlets and other materials that warn students to think twice before joining the military."

    this is not pro-peace corps or pro-anything, it is just anti-military.

    as far as I'm concerned, this lady doesn't need to be pushing her political agenda on the kids. she's not offering them any career or educational opportunities.
    And some recruiters lie to boost their records and entrap youngins. Lie to them by telling them "Oh yaaaaaa. Its easy to get out. As long as you do it in the first two weeks." when really they are screwed as soon as they signed on the line. I think it is all or nothing when it comes to this topic. Everyone can or noone can.
    Is society was made of coral our world would be floral.

  7. #17
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schoo

    Recruiters who lie to enlistees should have their heads posted on pikes as a warning to the others, preferably directly in front of the recruiting station.

    Nothing wrong with extolling the benefits of military services, and the various forms of compensation that the US Military offers-- but every time that we go into a war and we see all these tear-faced men and women saying "But I didn't sign up to go to war!" I can think of at least two people who should be shot for incompetence.

  8. #18
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    09-24-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schoo

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    This is a common misconception. "Activism" has a negative meaning attached to it in this day and age. I would consider MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) an activist group. They seek to bring an issue into the public eye.

    Obviously there are other types of activism, which have no place in schools, but this should not restrict schools from introducing the term in a real-life way. Activism is not limited to issues of controversy, some are just to bring attention to a topic the public would otherwise be clueless to.
    I disagree with using the term Activist in this, advocates are the ones looking to inform, activists actively do whatever it is possible to get what they want, including swaying public opinion, trying to get laws passed, outright protests, or the most extreme forms of activism, terrorist style attacks ala the ELF, some of the anti-war groups, etc. M.A.D.D. in my opinion has overstepped their bounds, they have the right to petition for DUI laws, but they use very heavy handed tactics, they have essentially seen to the end of officer discretion, in my area they will threaten elected judges with political action if they are lenient, etc. that in my opinion is not respectable. Advocates should be allowed in schools, but it should be stessed heavily that they are of an opinion, activists I feel, just don't have any credible educational value.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #19
    Professor
    shiznit770's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schoo

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I disagree with using the term Activist in this, advocates are the ones looking to inform, activists actively do whatever it is possible to get what they want, including swaying public opinion, trying to get laws passed, outright protests, or the most extreme forms of activism, terrorist style attacks ala the ELF, some of the anti-war groups, etc. M.A.D.D. in my opinion has overstepped their bounds, they have the right to petition for DUI laws, but they use very heavy handed tactics, they have essentially seen to the end of officer discretion, in my area they will threaten elected judges with political action if they are lenient, etc. that in my opinion is not respectable. Advocates should be allowed in schools, but it should be stessed heavily that they are of an opinion, activists I feel, just don't have any credible educational value.
    The root of the term is "action". Activists intentional perform an action to bring about change. As I said, the term recently has taken on a more extreme meaning and people associate it with protests and other more extreme actions.

    Advocate could be a better term to describe some activists, but not all.

    By saying activists do not have any credible educational value you assume an air of superiority. Just because many people believe something does not make it true or right. Activism is a unique opportunity in our country that should be encouraged. If you don't like something or disagree, then do something about it.

  10. #20
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    09-24-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: Should anti-military activist (let alone any activist) be allowed access to schoo

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    The root of the term is "action". Activists intentional perform an action to bring about change. As I said, the term recently has taken on a more extreme meaning and people associate it with protests and other more extreme actions.
    Not all activist action is extreme, but it seems to be a majority of the loudest ones.

    Advocate could be a better term to describe some activists, but not all.
    I fully believe that a group can be both, but find many activists groups are loud because they are ignored, and typically, the loudest ones should be.

    By saying activists do not have any credible educational value you assume an air of superiority. Just because many people believe something does not make it true or right. Activism is a unique opportunity in our country that should be encouraged. If you don't like something or disagree, then do something about it.
    Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe in the rights of advocates and activists to spread their messages, however many of the groups don't use credible tactics, which is where the problem lies, they don't encourage disagreement or forward thought, while I believe that some advocation and activist groups are honest and have integrity, I don't feel that we should allow people access to young minds on our own dollars, unless, of course, there is a counterbalance such as a debate(I think that was metioned earlier). The goal should be to enrich, not shape minds.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •