View Poll Results: Why have you decided not to use illegal drugs?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because I hear horror stories about addiction to them

    15 25.86%
  • Because I know people personally who have suffered from addiction.

    17 29.31%
  • Because I am perfectly happy and serene without them (If it ain't broke...)

    31 53.45%
  • Because the consequences of their being illegal make life miserable for addicts

    12 20.69%
  • Simply because they are illegal

    11 18.97%
  • Other (specify in the thread if you would like)

    20 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 262

Thread: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

  1. #81
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    08-24-16 @ 01:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
    All i can say is if all drugs where legal like you could by them from a local store people would do them who wouldnt otherwise do them.It seems obvous to me.
    You're assuming quite a bit.

    In general, research on the relation between perceived risk of detection and punishment and self-reported drug use tends to show that perceived legal risk explains very little of the variance in drug use (MacCoun, 1993). Similarly, studies of the relation between prevalence of drug use and variations in legal penalties for drug use tend to find no relationship. For example, Chaloupka et al. (1998) found, using the Monitoring the Future survey data from 1982 and 1989, that variations in length of prison terms prescribed by state law were unrelated to prevalence or frequency of cocaine or marijuana use by high school seniors. They also found that substantial increases in prescribed fines would have little or no effect. These findings are unsurprising because, under present enforcement conditions, the deterrent effect of criminal sanctions against drug use is attenuated significantly by the low probability of detection for any given violation and even for repeated violations. Other factors, including the perceived benefits of drug use, fear of health-related risks, and informal social controls, may have a more significant influence on decisions about using drugs than legal deterrence. As in the case of underage alcohol and tobacco use, current enforcement may have a stronger effect on where people carry or use drugs, rather than on whether they do so.

    Informing America's Policy on Illegal Drugs: What We Don't Know Keeps Hurting Us

    Social norms that discourage drug abuse don't have to disappear with the laws.

  2. #82
    Reactor Janitor
    Joby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula
    Last Seen
    08-11-16 @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,276

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Yes sir. You should read DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Dr. Rick Strassman.
    I've listened to Terrence McQuena's (sic?) lecture on the subject. All I can say is it sounds interesting.

    Nice avatar btw. Alex Grey is awesome.
    Last edited by Joby; 01-04-09 at 01:18 AM.
    down for you is up

  3. #83
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-08-16 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit770 View Post
    The point is still vague, what legal thing are you talking about that has similar effects?
    Earlier you stated:
    Lets see

    -impairment of judgment
    -money sink
    -short term memory problems
    -addictive

    How do any of these effects benefit society. It has been my experience that people who smoke marijuana are usually lazy, lack a job (collect unemployment), lack motivation, and lack respect for law.

    You may enjoy it personally, but people who care about you pick up the slack and are forced to watch you drag yourself down.
    Alcohol has the same effects/problems.
    Many (myself included) would say on points;
    -impairment of judgment and
    -addictive
    that alcohol is to a greater degree than weed.
    So we natural make the assumption that since you would not approve of other drugs for this reason you would also support an alcohol ban.
    From the ashes.

  4. #84
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    I smoked weed as a teen and just really hated it. My darling dear on the other hand loved the stuff. He gave it up years ago for family/employment reasons. I've always told him that when he retires I'm going to buy him the biggest joint he's ever had

    Hopefully, it will be legal by then as I really have no idea where I'm going to get it



    Anyway, to address the OP. Making weed, or any other drug, legal isn't going to make me use it. Hell, I can buy a lot of things legally right now that I just never would.....cow tongue or brains..........ICK!


    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  5. #85
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-08-16 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,655

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    I don't understand the idea that drug use will rampantly spread as a result of legalization.
    Anyone that wants anything can get it now.
    If a person is bold, curious, or just plain stupid enough to do meth or crack what makes you think they are smart enough to not do it because it's illegal?
    From the ashes.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,474

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    If a person is bold, curious, or just plain stupid enough to do meth or crack what makes you think they are smart enough to not do it because it's illegal?
    Come on Phoenix don't you know? If we legalize gay marriage more people will instantly become gay!
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    02-10-12 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    845

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    You know what else impairs judgment? Love. Brain imaging shows that the state of infatuation causes a marked decrease in prefrontal cortical activity. I'm a god-damned "loser" and even I have anecdotal evidence about infatuation causing poor judgment. Are we going to outlaw falling in love just because it causes people to make stupid and reckless decisions? Hell, why am I even addressing that bull**** "it impairs judgment" argument? It's just a weak justification for punishing people who've made choices you don't like.


    Here's a reality check for you intransigent moral fascists: People are going to self-destruct whether or not you give them your ****ing approbation! You feel indignation at their failings? Good for ****ing you! Now that you've vented your god-damned disapproval, are you going to ameliorate the situation or are you going to be a bunch of ****ing hypocrites who take the course of self-destruction because you can't deal with your emotions like the well-adjusted adults you claim to be? The evidence overwhelmingly states that prohibition exacerbates the misery surrounding drug addiction. Look at the **** that billowed out in the 1930s, for christ's sake! Drug addicts are already ****ed up in the head and have enough difficulty getting themselves back to a normal existence without you self-righteous bastards shoveling more **** at them with fines and jail sentences for actions that victimize nobody but themselves. Oh wait, that's right, it also hurts their family and the people who care about them. Like sending them to jail, fining them for thousands of dollars and preventing them from getting a job doesn't victimize their friends and families more than their drug habits! Why don't you people learn to cope with your disapproval in ways that don't involve kicking people when they are down? You think that stands a snowball's chance in hell of pulling them back from the brink of self-destruction? Is the goal here to make our society even more of a septic ****-hole by punishing people with self-inflicted wounds caused by choices you disagree with, or is it to mitigate the crime and poverty caused by those choices?

  8. #88
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Btw Shamanism is far from just about taking drugs. In fact many mystics consider drugs to be an unstable and quite limited way to explore one's self and the divine. When they are used they are usually used as aid at best.
    I do not believe I said anything to the contrary. Shamans used most psychedelics for religious ceremonies and healing practices. They also used them to chart the Spirit World.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #89
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Joby View Post
    I've listened to Terrence McQuena's (sic?) lecture on the subject. All I can say is it sounds interesting.

    Nice avatar btw. Alex Grey is awesome.
    Yeah, it is Terrence McKenna. He is basically the DMT poster-boy. It's very fascinating. A lot of people claim to have out of body experiences, communication with sentient beings from other universes, etc.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #90
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    I see you're point, but I'd sue a Doctor or lawyer that I hired and who I found to be on illegal drugs.

    If I found that a Doctor had seriously injured a loved one while under such influence, I'd quite possibly kill him.
    What? Why would he be on illegal drugs while operating? If marijuana or other illegal substances were made legal, they still could not be ingested by a doctor who was performing any form of operation. Hospitals have zero tolerance for a doctor who has a single drink. This would apply to any substance which impairs judgment or reflexes or cognitive processes.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •