View Poll Results: Why have you decided not to use illegal drugs?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because I hear horror stories about addiction to them

    15 25.86%
  • Because I know people personally who have suffered from addiction.

    17 29.31%
  • Because I am perfectly happy and serene without them (If it ain't broke...)

    31 53.45%
  • Because the consequences of their being illegal make life miserable for addicts

    12 20.69%
  • Simply because they are illegal

    11 18.97%
  • Other (specify in the thread if you would like)

    20 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 262

Thread: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

  1. #211
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    According to the United States Dept of Justice's Bureau of Justice Statistics website, it's marijuana, followed by cocaine in all forms, including rock.
    Hmm.. What about if you split the two as separate drugs, any statistics for that?
    And also which of them is the most used?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #212
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,749

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I thought after marijuana type drugs, cocaine(powder) was the most frequently used drug in the US. Is this untrue?
    I have no idea. You could find out with an on-line search I am certain.

  3. #213
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 04:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Hmm.. What about if you split the two as separate drugs, any statistics for that?
    And also which of them is the most used?
    No. The statistic says "Cocaine/crack".
    It doesn't break it down further, and I'm not sure I'd trust any information on this subject that didn't come from a gov.org site.

    There might, of course, be other federal agencies that keep track of such things, which might break it down further.
    You could search around.

  4. #214
    Banned Billo_Really's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    HBCA
    Last Seen
    01-14-09 @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    18,930

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Have you ever tried to watch a movie with a crack whore?

    You come home after a hard days work, sit back in your easy chair, put on a good flick, start to relax and get into the movie, when, out of the corner of your eye, is this constant, perpetual, movement. Tweaking. If she was a guy, she'd be polishing jewelry she got trashin', with a Dremel. But since she isn't, with no day job to give her reason to sleep at night, she just picks at the carpet in search of lost morsels. See's something, hits it with the lighter, "oh, that's not one", and goes back to scanning, picking, and doing everything but watching the god-damn movie!

  5. #215
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67,980

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Billo_Really View Post
    Have you ever tried to watch a movie with a crack whore?

    You come home after a hard days work, sit back in your easy chair, put on a good flick, start to relax and get into the movie, when, out of the corner of your eye, is this constant, perpetual, movement. Tweaking. If she was a guy, she'd be polishing jewelry she got trashin', with a Dremel. But since she isn't, with no day job to give her reason to sleep at night, she just picks at the carpet in search of lost morsels. See's something, hits it with the lighter, "oh, that's not one", and goes back to scanning, picking, and doing everything but watching the god-damn movie!




    uhm you need to pick better movie dates......


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  6. #216
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Being a little disingenuous here aren't you? Notice the part in red.

    It says "often" not that it does not. Then you see the list of physical symptoms and then you say it is sad?
    Often does not mean never, and I NEVER said it did. Often does not mean Occasionally either. It means somethig very similar to Usually or Typically, which are the words I used. YOU are being disingenuous by claiming they are similar because OFTEN there are no physical symptoms. With herion withdrawal there are ALWAYS physical symptoms. ALWAYS.




    You again seem to be mistaking "often" for never. I said I think they are the same, and they are. They have exactly the same synptoms for some.
    They do not have the exact same symptoms at all. You are giving an opinion that is not substantiated by fact. TYhey OCCASIONALLY have the same symptoms, but OFTEN they DON'T.


    I already stated it is different for different people. You also seem to be ignoring that.
    If one ALWAYS has physical symptoms, and the other OFTEN doesn't, the comparison should be the AVERAGE case, not the Extremes.



    No you posted two from the same source.

    Symptoms of Cocaine withdrawal - WrongDiagnosis.com

    They also include vomiting and other "physical" symptoms.
    Cocaine: Withdrawal | Drug Abuse and Effects Summary

    "Because of the lack of physical withdrawal symptoms, both medical professionals and the public long believed that cocaine was not an addicting drug. The cocaine epidemic of the 1980s led to greater concern about how cocaine affects users. Researchers studied the drug to determine whether cocaine use leads to dependence and withdrawal."

    Cocaine withdrawal and crack addiction withdrawal symptoms

    "Cocaine withdrawal is not as physically evident as withdrawal from other highly addictive drugs: there are often no visible physical symptoms like the vomiting and shaking that accompanies heroin withdrawal or the seizures and delusions that can follow alcohol withdrawal"

    Cocaine Withdrawal

    "Cocaine withdrawal often has no visible physical symptoms such as the vomiting and shaking that one sees during the withdrawal from heroin or alcohol."

    Cocaine Withdrawal Symptoms Less Daunting Than Previously Thought

    "Withdrawal from cocaine is no picnic, but a study by a researcher at the University at Buffalo has shown that it may not involve the wrenching ups and downs and intense cravings that specialists in the field have considered the norm."


    That last one was tossed in to give scientific evidence of my claims that Heroin withdrawal is worse.

    Can you find ANYTHING at all that claims that it is COMMON for cocaine withdrawal to be similar to heroin withdrawal?

    Would you like more sources? I can do this all day.


    I have already pointed out with the data you are indeed wrong.

    No, you haven't. You have shown that there are SOME symptoms that OCCASIONALLY happen that are similar, but you have not shown that the two withdrawals are similar ON AVERAGE. You are comapring the extreme case of cocaine withdrawal to the COMMON case of heroin withdrawal. That is intellectually dishonest. Compare the cases that OFTEN happen in each withdrawal to each other and you will be on the right track.

    I never said that cocaine withdrawal couldn't be just as bad for one individual than heroin withdrawal is for another individual. I used the word "Typically" when I said it typically doesn't have physical symptoms. It OFTEN doesn't have any physical symptoms.


    You would have known the difference between the two is only in the way you take it.
    What you injest is different. This is BECAUSE of the way you take it. Just as Chewing Tobacco and Smoking toibacco are different drugs in teh end because they have different effects. Cigarrettes are way way worse for a person.



    Now you are just ignoring what I said.

    Nice link by the way. "Cookie absent."

    Methylecgonidine is produced during the actual heating process. If you were to crush the rock and snort it, no Methylecgonidine could be found for drug testing. The high would take a hell of a lot longer to hit, but it would.
    The DRUG is what is injested, not what remains outside of the body. If a person crushes up a crack rock and snorts it, they are doing cocaine. If they smoke it, they are doing crack.

    Just as with ALL chemical reactions, chemicals are produces. Just as smoking tobacco is injecting a different drug as chewing it is. What is injested is the issue, not what is purchased.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 01-07-09 at 08:19 AM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #217
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    09-25-16 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,365

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Blackdog, Disregard the snippyness in my comments. It's a serious debate and some of what I'm adding is superfluous and unneccesarry.

    Let me clarify my point. I'm talking about the actual drug as it is injested beign different, not the effects. My reasons for saying crack is worse than cocaine, is like how I would say cigarettes are typically way way worse than chewing tobacco.

    They are chemically the same, or quite simmilar, prior to ingestion, but during they are chemically different at the point of ingestion. They do have identical effects on the brain, but the extra chemicals in the crack smoke make it more dangerous.

    When I say they are chemically different, I'm referring to the differences in the smoke and the powder, not the rock and the powder. That is the basis of my comparison.

    I can see your point regarding the actual rock and the powder, they are for all intents and puproses, the same.

    I did a poor job explaining my point, and for that I apologize.

    To calrify further, the "drug" part of a cigarette, IMO, is not the raw tobacco itself, but the smoke that is ingested. I can see how my definition could be confusing, becaus eI never clarified that the actual product ingested is my definition of the drug.

    As far as Cocaine withdrawal vs. Heroin withdrawal, I'm not saying that in some instances, cocaine withdrawal cannot be just as bad, I was speaking about the average cocaine withdrawal vs. the average heroin withdrawal.

    If one compares the extreme cases, they are indeed similar. If one compares the average case, they are not very similar.

    I would say cocaine withdrawal CAN BE just as bad as heroin withdrawal, but typically, heroin withdrawal is far worse.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #218
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,749

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Often does not mean never, and I NEVER said it did. Often does not mean Occasionally either. It means somethig very similar to Usually or Typically, which are the words I used. YOU are being disingenuous by claiming they are similar because OFTEN there are no physical symptoms. With herion withdrawal there are ALWAYS physical symptoms. ALWAYS.
    Yes heroin does have physical symptoms all the time. I never said it did not? I said cocaine is just as bad and in some cases has physical withdrawals the same or similar to heroin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    They do not have the exact same symptoms at all. You are giving an opinion that is not substantiated by fact. TYhey OCCASIONALLY have the same symptoms, but OFTEN they DON'T.
    I never said it was "often" only that they can be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    If one ALWAYS has physical symptoms, and the other OFTEN doesn't, the comparison should be the AVERAGE case, not the Extremes.
    That is subjective at best.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Cocaine: Withdrawal | Drug Abuse and Effects Summary

    "Because of the lack of physical withdrawal symptoms, both medical professionals and the public long believed that cocaine was not an addicting drug. The cocaine epidemic of the 1980s led to greater concern about how cocaine affects users. Researchers studied the drug to determine whether cocaine use leads to dependence and withdrawal."

    Cocaine withdrawal and crack addiction withdrawal symptoms

    "Cocaine withdrawal is not as physically evident as withdrawal from other highly addictive drugs: there are often no visible physical symptoms like the vomiting and shaking that accompanies heroin withdrawal or the seizures and delusions that can follow alcohol withdrawal"

    Cocaine Withdrawal

    "Cocaine withdrawal often has no visible physical symptoms such as the vomiting and shaking that one sees during the withdrawal from heroin or alcohol."

    Cocaine Withdrawal Symptoms Less Daunting Than Previously Thought

    "Withdrawal from cocaine is no picnic, but a study by a researcher at the University at Buffalo has shown that it may not involve the wrenching ups and downs and intense cravings that specialists in the field have considered the norm."

    That last one was tossed in to give scientific evidence of my claims that Heroin withdrawal is worse.
    I don't believe it is because cocaine is considered the most addictive or one of the most addictive drugs. Physical symptoms aside, it is harder to get off of.

    "The frightening truth is that the drug is more addictive than heroin and produces a shorter high which means users are quickly back out on the streets desperately trying to fund their next hit." - A drug that's more addictive than heroin | Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England) | Find Articles at BNET

    "During the late phase of withdrawal (>3 weeks), reinstatement of cocaine seeking by quinpirole was still apparent, but less robust. In heroin-trained rats, increases of responding were no longer observed." - Relapse to Cocaine- and Heroin-Seeking Behavior Mediated by Dopamine D2 Receptors Is Time-Dependent and Associated with Behavioral Sensitization

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Can you find ANYTHING at all that claims that it is COMMON for cocaine withdrawal to be similar to heroin withdrawal?

    Would you like more sources? I can do this all day.
    I never said it was "common" only that it can be. I am still correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    No, you haven't. You have shown that there are SOME symptoms that OCCASIONALLY happen that are similar, but you have not shown that the two withdrawals are similar ON AVERAGE.
    I never said anything about averages, I said in some people. I feel what is highlighted in red sums up and proves my position.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You are comapring the extreme case of cocaine withdrawal to the COMMON case of heroin withdrawal. That is intellectually dishonest. Compare the cases that OFTEN happen in each withdrawal to each other and you will be on the right track.
    No it is not dishonest. You seem to think that the physical withdrawals are somehow worse than the mental withdrawals. I don't believe that at all. For some people you have both. I have shown the experiment with rats on cocaine still having symptoms while nothing from heroin after the same amount of time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I never said that cocaine withdrawal couldn't be just as bad for one individual than heroin withdrawal is for another individual. I used the word "Typically" when I said it typically doesn't have physical symptoms. It OFTEN doesn't have any physical symptoms.
    Again you are talking about the "physical" symptoms only. The physical withdrawals are not a litmus test for the severity of addiction or withdrawals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    What you injest is different. This is BECAUSE of the way you take it. Just as Chewing Tobacco and Smoking toibacco are different drugs in teh end because they have different effects. Cigarrettes are way way worse for a person.
    All tobacco, including chewing tobacco, contains nicotine, which is addictive.

    The amount of nicotine absorbed from chewing tobacco is 3 to 4 times the amount delivered by a cigarette. Chewing tobacco users increase their risk for cancer of the oral cavity. Oral cancer can include cancer of the lip, tongue, cheeks, gums, and the floor and roof of the mouth. People who use "chew" for a long time have a much greater risk for cancer of the cheek and gum than people who do not use chewing tobacco.

    They are both just as dangerous.

    "Researchers found that compared with cigarette smokers, adults who used chewing tobacco appeared to have greater exposure to a substance called NNK, one of the prime carcinogens in tobacco. In laboratory animals, NNK has been found to cause cancer of the lung, pancreas, liver and nasal mucosa." - Study shows chewing tobacco worse than smoking | HEALTH

    The study is from 2007.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The DRUG is what is injested, not what remains outside of the body. If a person crushes up a crack rock and snorts it, they are doing cocaine. If they smoke it, they are doing crack.
    You are still leaving out injecting it directly into your blood stream. What would that be?

    I am not talking about snorting it. I have been from the beginning comparing it with smoking and injecting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Just as with ALL chemical reactions, chemicals are produces. Just as smoking tobacco is injecting a different drug as chewing it is.
    Nicotine is nicotine is nicotine. Smoke it, chew it same addictive property's. The risks of different types are not the same, but the drug is the same drug.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    What is injested is the issue, not what is purchased.
    ???

  9. #219
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,749

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Blackdog, Disregard the snippyness in my comments. It's a serious debate and some of what I'm adding is superfluous and unneccesarry.
    We all do it at some point. As long as you do not take it personally we are all good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Let me clarify my point. I'm talking about the actual drug as it is injested beign different, not the effects. My reasons for saying crack is worse than cocaine, is like how I would say cigarettes are typically way way worse than chewing tobacco.

    They are chemically the same, or quite simmilar, prior to ingestion, but during they are chemically different at the point of ingestion. They do have identical effects on the brain, but the extra chemicals in the crack smoke make it more dangerous.

    When I say they are chemically different, I'm referring to the differences in the smoke and the powder, not the rock and the powder. That is the basis of my comparison.
    That (to me) is a strange comparison but OK, I can understand and agree with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I can see your point regarding the actual rock and the powder, they are for all intents and puproses, the same.

    I did a poor job explaining my point, and for that I apologize.
    No need to apologies, just a fun debate is all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    To calrify further, the "drug" part of a cigarette, IMO, is not the raw tobacco itself, but the smoke that is ingested. I can see how my definition could be confusing, becaus eI never clarified that the actual product ingested is my definition of the drug.
    Completely different from mine (or the dictionary ) but I get your point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    As far as Cocaine withdrawal vs. Heroin withdrawal, I'm not saying that in some instances, cocaine withdrawal cannot be just as bad, I was speaking about the average cocaine withdrawal vs. the average heroin withdrawal.
    I don't agree only because I think the mental addiction is worse in other ways. So I think we can agree to disagree as that is pretty much subjective.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    If one compares the extreme cases, they are indeed similar. If one compares the average case, they are not very similar.

    I would say cocaine withdrawal CAN BE just as bad as heroin withdrawal, but typically, heroin withdrawal is far worse.
    Again I will agree to disagree due to the subjective nature of physical vs mental withdrawals.

  10. #220
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    03-10-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: What Are Our Reasons That We Choose Not To Use Illegal Drugs

    Dont we all just agree that crack is worse than cocaine? Thats the important question here, not the chemical and such discussion and technicalities.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •